Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

One problem with that is that you must modify everything manually in Windows 2000. Is there a way that the .theme file will work with windows 2000? If so, it will be a really good idea to put it in.

the_guy

One problem with that is that you must modify everything manually in Windows 2000. Is there a way that the .theme file will work with windows 2000? If so, it will be a really good idea to put it in.

the_guy

I think there is a possibility. But if we do find the work-around...either gurgelmeyer or I will test it out and gurgelmeyer add it to the win2k SP. (I had to reformat to go to WinMe temporarily becuase I was adding some files for win2k from winme, like WinME's mscofnig and SR [system Restore]...also from Windows Millenium Edition.)

I think the winme's msconfig and system resotre would work perfectly with a few tweaks betwen them, as winme's msconfig has more stuff into it (even the dos stuff, but I'll PM him via e-mail from here on how to delete that kind of stuff), and System Resotre's GUI needs to be re-converted from FAT32 to NTFS layout.

Edited by mitchellovision

Hi :)

The .theme file type is (almost completely) registered by themeui.dll in HKCR ;) (themeui.dll actually has both a DllRegisterServer and a DllInstall entry point, so it might not be hard to install)

The biggest issue - if we want xp binaries to run on other os'es (Microsoft or not), is the kernel support for Activation Contexts (Manifests). Activation Contexts have nothing to do with WPA I might add - I once believed they had, but they are now documented (more or less) on MSDN, and I was wrong. So: the NT loader simply cannot load those binaries, because it cannot resolve the missing dependencies to the Activation Context support in the NT5 kernel. There are a few more kernel functions which are unavailable in NT50, but the Activation Context entry poitnts are by far the most common. So a NT image load HELPER is needed - if I made one (and it's quite a project in itself I might add), any XP application would run on W2K (if I got it right), including WMP10, IE6SP2, Themes etc. So I spot a nice little project there ;)

I like the idea of adding the Me internet games to the Extreme edition - at least I see no reason not to. Generally, adding Me stuff is not nearly as complicated as adding XP stuff. Also msconfig should of course be in the Extreme edition too.

It looks as if most would prefer either Standard Edition or Extreme Edition - am I right? The Basic edition is meant for servers actually, but Standard Edition would be just as suitable for server use, so I might not do the Basic Edition then.

Another thing: drivers! A driver pack would be nice wouldn't it - one of you mentioned it awhile back. At least the most common chipset .inf drivers? .inf drivers are really easy to add to the built in drivers I might mention.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

usb 2.0 :thumbup

mitchellovision I think maybe your 2k cd is scratched since your cd is scratched perhaps someone might send you one maybe even a corporate cd where serial# are not needed. :thumbup

@dirtwarior I found out the problem to that a while ago, mate. The problem was the power outage corrupted my OS, and therefore, I had to reformat, but then I put on WinMe temporarily, and got gurgelmeyer's System Restore, Scanner and Camera Wizard, and Movie Maker 1 with all updates.

@gurgelmeyer But I suppose that Windows Movie Maker 2.1 could be modified for win2k. What do you think, gurgelmeyer? Should we add Movie Maker 2.1 from WinXP SP2, or use the one I grabbed from WinMe?

@ gurgelmeyer P.S. Could you P.M. me your e-mail for System Restore, Scanner and Camera Wizard, and Windows Movie Maker 1.1?

--edit-- I just found out that Win2k Pro SP3+ includes the Scanner and Camera Wizard :blink: , so I won't send it to gurgelmeyer. :)

Edited by mitchellovision

mitchellovision

I am glad to see you back and excited again about a project :thumbup You know I was pushing for your other 1 but perhaps this might be the way to go.

Once upon a time MS had Windows Neptune which was win 2k personal edition some 9x stuff ported for nt( I wish MS didnt sideline this)

Then Windows ME some nt stuff ported for 9x(MS decided to go this way,why I dont know) sigh I wish MS developed Neptune.

HMMMM No comment on Neptune well ok sorry for this post

Edited by dirtwarrior

Hi :)

@mitchellovision - let's try the Me MovieMaker and SR first.

@dirtwarrior - did Neptune ever escape from the MS build labs? I've never even heard about it, but it could be extremely interesting to have a look at it. I'm really curious :w00t:

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

Forget about Neptune.

It turned into what we know today as XP home. But Neptune (in THEORY) promised many features beyond what we see today in XP.

You'd be better off to download longhorn beta1/beta2 builds which have everything that Neptune had, and more.

Windows Vista (codenamed longhorn) is exactly what Neptune was supposed to be.

Neptune never made it past beta,but in some ways was ahead of its time. It had a gui that was a little different from 2k,used less resourses(comitt),faster booting(single user machine). It came out prior to 2k(hmmmm how interesting) but was advanced in many ways. I would still be using it but it was very touchy about drivers and installing some programs.

MS decided to kill this project Windows 2k Personal Edition (Neptune) to work on Millennium sighs much. And yes I have used Neptune and like many beta it had its faults but it was a good project.

Gurgelmeyer I dont know if you still have my email addy but if interested please email me. And yes Neptune was my favorite OS, sighs.

I wonder if there is a way to incorporate some of the features of this into 2k? Single user enviorment (faster booting) some gui changes (not xp like) and better memory utilization(less comitt)

Looks like Microsoft is gonna "Give Windows 2000 Rollup Another Try"...

One thing I was sort of wondering Gurgelmeyer as you're only one person and can't support SP5 indefinitely, or perhaps even as long as Windows 2000 is still a viable OS for many users: would it be p***ible or practical to include documentation with SP5 or offer some some manner of /rebuild switch so that new (and properly formatted) fixes can be rolled into the SP for redistribution?

:huh:

@hoak - Nice to see you in this thread again :)

Yes, that would be possible. One of the many tools I've created for this project is a pre-beta of the NTGRATE mentioned awhile back, which does all the file integration, "chained" updates (multiple instances of the same binary), version comparison, treats .cab's as directories and rebuild everything nicely. To make this tool publicly available I'd need to put all the rules in a script file and use the Windows FCI/FDI (cabinet.dll) directly rather than embedding MS CABARC.EXE (which is what I do at the moment). It is not my top priority at the moment though.

Guess I'll be chasing post-post-urp1 updates soon :)

Best regards

Gurgelmeyer

Hey gurgelmeyer. your PM box is full. I tried PM'ing you twice, and it says either I'm not allowed to give you PM's or your account inbox is completely full. Mine isn't full. But you should check your inbox, just to make sure, mate.

Anyway, here is what winipcfg told me what my ip adress is: