Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Installation Guide for Win98 SE SP 2.0

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Gape

Gape

Author - Unofficial Win98 SE SP

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Installation Guide

Prerequites:
- Windows 98 SE English (4.10.2222A).
- 32 MB of RAM minimum.
- At least 40 MB free hard disk space.

Installation order:
*1- Install Windows 98 SE (with or without 98lite).
*2- Install IE 6.0 SP1.
3- Install all newest drivers of your hardware. If you have Intel chipset, you have to install Intel Chipset Software Utility and Intel Application Accelerator 2.3. If you have VIA chipset, you have to install VIA 4-in-1.
*4- Install DirectX (9.0c).
*5- Install MS Office.
*6- Install/Use 98lite to remove any features.
7- Close ALL open programs.
8- Install latest SE SP.
*9- Install critical updates from WindowsUpdate.
*10- Install Maximum-Decim's latest Native USB Drivers.
*11- Install MDGx's latest 98SE2ME.
*12- Install Tihiy's latest Revolutions Pack.
13- Update or re-install drivers of your hardware, if you have any problem.

A freshly installed Windows 98 SE is highly recommended. If Windows asks for rebooting during step 8, don't accept it. You should reboot only after "Installation is now complete" message.

* = Optional.

Update Guide

From 2.0.x to 2.1:

DON'T UNINSTALL THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE SP.

1- Close ALL open programs.
2- Install latest SE SP.
*3- Re-install MDGx's latest 98SE2ME.
*4- Re-install Tihiy's latest Revolutions Pack.

* = If you previously installed it.

Slipstreaming Guide

2.x supports a special slipstreaming method. Only hotfixes can be integrated into your Windows 98 SE Setup from the start. Other features like TweakUI cannot be integrated.

1- Copy \WIN98 directory with its contents from CD into your hard drive (like D:\WIN98).
2- With Winzip, Winrar or PowerArchiver, extract SP2.CAB from SESP21.EXE into a temporary directory.
3- Extract all files into D:\WIN98 from SP2.CAB. (For example, you should see D:\WIN98\ACPI.SYS file after extracting SP2.CAB).
4- Use D:\WIN98\SETUP.EXE for starting Windows 98 Setup. Windows 98 Setup will use these hotfixed files automatically during installation.

Edited by Gape, 04 February 2006 - 01:17 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts
ok. might have to disagree with no. 3. Install DX 9.0c fixes recent security problems
that have been exposed in DX 8.1b. No DX 8.1b MS04-016 patch is available for
Win98 & ME so the only way to fix the security problems in MS security bulletin MS04-016 is to install DirectX 9.0c which includes the security fixes for Win98 & ME.

soldier1st

soldier1st

I Work For The Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
this is how i would do the install:

Installation order:
*1- Install Windows 98 SE (with our without 98lite).
2- Install IE 6.0 SP1.
3-Install DirectX (9.0c).
4- Install all latest drivers of your hardware
*5- Install MS Office.(And any other programs like norton/etc...)
6- Install SE SP 2.0.
7- Reboot.
8- Install 98lite to remove any features.
*9- Install critical updates from WindowsUpdate.(Make sure you have your icon cache increased as your icons could change and be unable to change them back)
*10- Install 982ME Latest Version.

this is the method i use:

installing ie6 before anything is crucial as some programs may need the newer ie files,next comes directx as some hardware might complain like a soundcard and you'll have lower sound quality then usual or a message will come up about directx,also it is best to install the sp before you use 98lite so that the sp updates all files instead of just the ones you have installed,also doing it this way allows you to reinstall those features with the newer files rather than with the old files,it is recomended to install the windows updates then install the latest version of 982ME.this is the method i use as i've had trouble with gapes installation method
Here At Shinra HQ,Any and All Resistance Against The Shinra Will Be Dealt With Thus Utilizing Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Interesting point(s) soldier1st:

¿¿¿¿and should we bloat the initial windows98 install with every single windows component/gadget option??? Let all that get updated, then un-bloat Windows as one likes.....Then, in the future, when one wants to re-add those optional components-- they'll already be updated???

ALLSSOOOO,,,,after applying 98lite, SE Sp, SE2ME--- when one adds/removes windows components--- this won't be an issue? Esp. since many ME files carry earlier dates than 98 files....

Don't see a way out other than having an SESP-ME edition-- this also vis-a-vis any future 98/ME patches/updates.......

Maybe batch-editing all ME/2K/XP added files' dates to today's would help-- but that still leaves the issue of any future 98 patches...

¿¿¿HHHMMMM??????

chankya

chankya

• PipPip
  • 142 posts
Dear All

i also do the way soldier1st including the region and that is goodway.

thanks soldier1st

MSFN enjoy
mss enjoy
" Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
horsecharles: i've done it other ways and either my sound don't work like it's sposed to or i can't get a network connection or 98 just plain acts up and a forced format and all gets broken
doing it like my method will avoid it.it just seems to work.do you want to to test my method?if so it's already been tested many times.also if you remove windows components,they won't be updated in case you decide to bring them back,not unless the sp updates em even if there not installed.
Here At Shinra HQ,Any and All Resistance Against The Shinra Will Be Dealt With Thus Utilizing Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
soldier1st, you've made a key point:

sp updates em even if there not installed.

so, if i add remove, i need to run SE2ME again.

Your method's fine-- don't have any beefs with it at all. I don't have any issues actually-- & still have the ME drivers installed too.

My slow icon load totally righted itself after a couple of days...

If anything crops up though, i will format os partition & use your method--

along those lines the next project could be to include/ slipstream all other possible updates mentioned at MDGx site, like webfldrs, etc..... some batch file to confirm each/all ME file(s) successfully copied over(& also for confirming at anytime that they haven't been replaced by installing something else-- instead of running sfc) would be real useful.....

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
maybe increase your icon cache,that should help with the slow icon loading

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Oh, it's been at 8192 :yes: It loads instantly now, btw.

mkjp

mkjp

• 37 posts
Installation order:
1- Install Windows 98 SE
2- Edit autoecex.bat (I install ramdisk(xmsdsk) 640MB, because I have 715MB RAM)
----------
mode con codepage prepare=((852) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=852
keyb pl,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keybrd4.sys
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\xmsdsk.exe /y /t 640000 v:
----------
3- Reboot.(and now Windows see only 32 ram)
4- Install drivers: VIA Service Pack (VIA 4 In 1)
5- Install drivers: network adapters
6- Install SE SP 2.0
7- Edit autoecex.bat (I remove "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\xmsdsk.exe /y /t 640000 v:")
8- Reboot.
6- Install all latest drivers of your hardware
7- Install DirectX (9.0c).
8- Install IE 6.0 SP1(but I not use IE. I use internet browser ""K_Meleon"")
9- Install windows media player codec pack 8 and 9.
10- Install MS Office97 (is the best) .And any other programs like foobar2000(the best player mp3)

azagahl

azagahl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
Where in the order should 98 plus ! or 98 resource kit go?

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
actualy since it's not an actual app do it last.

smokeyjoint

smokeyjoint

msfn dude

• 45 posts
:hello: last is best enjoy the groovy deluxe cd player lol.

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

mkjp: 10- Install MS Office97 (is the best).

I like it very much also, BUT, i prefer to install office97 very early, some of those files are low versions-- then i run a registry repairer or spybot/tools/sysiternals-- the install is very sloppy(all versions, including 23k are): some files are left behind in temp folder, there're both erroneous & misspelled reg shortcuts / paths, a few missing files(some discontinued, some still at windows update) that didn't make it on the install cd)... i choose to manually repair & find fixes, rather than allow autofix, which's usually delete reg entry. Then i apply @ 3 dozen subsequent upgrades & optional components(can't get the most recent Excel updates to install for some reason).

I fully agree that a completely patched OFFICE 97, with all optional components installed, is very, very good and can suffice-- significant updates were added to it right up until 2000.

I've been replacing a bunch of the updated dlls from 97 & 2k with their counterparts from XP & 23K(nothing too thorough, just whatever i notice)-- have only found a couple that didn't take...

btw, the following site: http://www.freebizma...ls03welcome.htm will give you a free copy of OfficeReady Essentials Home Page-- Pro & Regular Retail versions that installs into Office(didn't try to add it to 97, just using it in 2k), as well as totally-free yearly magazine subscriptions, in exchange for registering-- no cc, nor any financial info/process takes place.
What's good about the site is that if you have patience, almost all major periodicals are offered free at one time or another-- offers come & go quickly though. (btw no spam risk here)

Cooler13

Cooler13
  • 8 posts

Installation order:
1- Install Windows 98 SE
10- Install MS Office97 (is the best) .And any other programs like foobar2000(the best player mp3)

I agree with you mkjp on some things (foobar2000 for instance).
I usually do only clean installs of Win98SE.
Here's my install:
1. format c: /q (my C drive has only 1-2 Gb, and the information kept there is expendable)
2. Install 98lite (+ Win98SE) -> NO IE!!!
3. Install latest drivers
4. Install directx 8.1
5. Install Sesp2.0
6. Install programs (only few: Total Commander, Irfanview, Firefox, foobar2000 or winamp 2.91, a colection of video/audio codecs made by a friend and other programs).

My system is a rocket.. Thanks, Gape!

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
I just noticed that snide remark, young man!!

smokeyjoint Posted: Feb 3 2005, 10:45 PM  

last is best enjoy the groovy deluxe cd player lol. 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Installation order:
1- Install Windows 98 SE

I agree with you mkjp on some things (foobar2000 for instance).
I usually do only clean installs of Win98SE.
Here's my install:
1. format c: /q (my C drive has only 1-2 Gb, and the information kept there is expendable)
2. Install 98lite (+ Win98SE) -> NO IE!!!
3. Install latest drivers
4. Install directx 8.1
5. Install Sesp2.0
6. Install programs (only few: Total Commander, Irfanview, Firefox, foobar2000 or winamp 2.91, a colection of video/audio codecs made by a friend and other programs).

My system is a rocket.. Thanks, Gape!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree with step 4 of your installation order, Cooler13. Install DX 9.0c instead of DX 8.1. DX 8.1 and previous releases of DX9 have a recent security flaw mentioned in security bulletin MS04-016 and the security bug is fixed in DX 9.0c.

randiroo76073

randiroo76073

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
Alright, I came late in the game, have been using USP since ver 1 but didn't know about 98se2ME, can I install 982ME over USP 2 RC1 or no? If not,how would be way w/o reinstall of 98se? Or should I just go on my happy way smiling :D

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts

Alright, I came late in the game, have been using USP since ver 1 but didn't know about 98se2ME, can I install 982ME over USP 2 RC1 or no? If not,how would be way w/o reinstall of 98se? Or should I just go on my happy way smiling :D

This is Gape's SP 2.0 forum.
"98SE2ME: Install Killer Replacements unattended" forum is here.
To answer your questions:
98SE2ME does NOT interfere in ANY way with SP 2.0 RC1 [more details @ MSFN forum linked above].
The only files installed by both are these 4:
- fixed EXPLORER.EXE from:
http://www.dr-hoiby....IconIn256Color/
- newer REGSVR32.EXE from Win2000
- fixed VTCP.386 from MSKB Q236926 +
- fixed RPCRT4.DLL from MSKB Q269874.
VTCP.386 + RPCRT4.DLL can also be installed separately if u d/l respective MS hotfixes posted here:
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#98SE
and here:
http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm

SP 2.0 RC1 + 98SE2ME do NOT require reinstalling Win98SE.

Hope this helps.

randiroo76073

randiroo76073

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
Thnx MDGx, sorry, wasn't trying to be OT, will read your suggests, my sys just got hosed by ???? Nothing to do w/ Gapes fine prgm, something else, so I'm skittish.

Crash&Burn

Crash&Burn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

this is how i would do the install:

Installation order:
*1- Install Windows 98 SE (with our without 98lite).
2- Install IE 6.0 SP1.
3-Install DirectX (9.0c).
4- Install all latest drivers of your hardware
*5- Install MS Office.(And any other programs like norton/etc...)
6- Install SE SP 2.0.
7- Reboot.
8- Install 98lite to remove any features.
*9- Install critical updates from WindowsUpdate.(Make sure you have your icon cache increased as your icons could change and be unable to change them back)
*10- Install 982ME Latest Version.

this is the method i use:

installing ie6 before anything is crucial as some programs may need the newer ie files,next comes directx as some hardware might complain like a soundcard and you'll have lower sound quality then usual or a message will come up about directx,also it is best to install the sp before you use 98lite so that the sp updates all files instead of just the ones you have installed,also doing it this way allows you to reinstall those features with the newer files rather than with the old files,it is recomended to install the windows updates then install the latest version of 982ME.this is the method i use as i've had trouble with gapes installation method

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd recommend a reboot after installing Office, before SE SP 2.0, should prevent any erroneous errors like the ones I got, causing Office2000 to claim registry errors and .dll not found/registered -- which caused Office to have to reinstall itself :P

Kelzy

Kelzy

• 17 posts
one question thou ...... how do i increase my icon cache ? and to what do i increase it to ?

(my system is a PII, 266 IBM laptop, 98mb ram,4gb hdd) :blushing:

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

When Unofficial SP will allow "normal" (2k/xp SP-like) slipstreaming?

randiroo76073

randiroo76073

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
Kelzy, pick up X-setup, it allows you to tweak all hidden settings & more. It'll do that too.
http://www.x-setup.net/home.asp

PS: look for ver. 6.6, last free ver.

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts

one question thou ...... how do i increase my icon cache ? and to what do i increase it to ?

(my system is a PII, 266 IBM laptop, 98mb ram,4gb hdd)

This should help: :)
http://www.mdgx.com/newtip1.htm#THRASH

If u want to use X-Setup Pro 6.6 this should help:
http://www.mdgx.com/xset.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN