Here is an installation order I've put together. I've been trying to keep up with developments on these boards regarding the latest version and build numbers for all available Windows 98 SE files. Therefore, some of the builds of certain files here are later than those included in Gape's SE SP 2.1a.
I'd be grateful if anyone could have a look at the following installation order and leave comments or criticisms of any kind. Any mistakes, omissions or superfluous installations are likely to be quite obvious to many of you, but I don't mind! Point them out anyway, please.Note:
This installation uses Win98 SE SP 2.1a (Gape's current Service Pack), so ignore the version number in this thread's title. It is quite a full installation. It includes the SAPI 4 and 5.1 speech add-ons, for example. I may not install everything here, but I've included those parts of the installation for future reference.Basic Installation
2. DirectX 9.0c
3. Drivers: motherboard (Via Hyperion Pro 4-in-1), monitor (Viewsonic), graphics card (NVIDIA), audio (Realtek ALC655), mouse (Logitech) VIA USB 2.0 and modem (Intel)IE6 SP1 and updates
4. IE6 SP1
5. Microsoft Installer v.2.0
6. 885258 - Incorrectly-scaled images fix
7. IEAK IE6WZD fix
8. Maximus-Decim's Data Access Component Update 1.0 beta 6
- MDAC 2.8 SP1 (includes MSXML 3.0 SP7)
- Jet 4.0 SP8 (837001)
- Jet 4.0 Repl (321076)
- MSXML 4.0 SP2 + 887606
- 2 files Jet 3.5 SP3 (msjet35.dll, msrepl35.dll)
- 2 files MDAC 2.5 SP3 (vfpodbc.dll, drvvft.chm - Visual FoxPro Driver)
- XMLinst 3.0
- 3 files IE6 SP1 + 832414 (msxml.dll, msxmld.dll, msxmlr.dll - MSXML 2.5 SP3)
- MSXML 2.6 SP2 + 887606
9. 823353 - Outlook Express Cumulative Update
10. 870669 - ADODB.Stream fix [requires MDAC v.2.5 or above's prior installation]
11. 833989 - GDI buffer overun fix
12. 887797 - Outlook Express Cumulative Update [requires 823353's prior installation]
13. Root Certificates Update - rootsupd.exe
14. QFEInstalled reg. tweak
15. Hhupd.exe - Unofficial Help Update 1.41 (or official equivalent - 896358)
16. 905915 - IE6 SP1 Cumulative Update [replaces 903235 & 896727 & 896688; requires Help Update's prior installation]
17. MSXML 3.0 SP7/MSXML 4.0 SP2/887606 - ? [905915 requires this to be installed AFTER its own installation - ?]
18. 98TSHOOT.EXE - or an equivalent Troubleshooter fix [905915 requires this to be installed AFTER its own installation]
19. SHDOCFIX - ?Java
20. MS Java 3809
21. MS Java 3810
22. Sun Java 184.108.40.206 (current version)Windows Media Player 9
23. WMP 9
24. 891122 - WMP 10 Codecs for WMP 9
25. MP892313 - Unofficial WMP9 update
26. MP832353 - Unofficial WMP9 update
27. 817885 - WMP 9 patch
28. WMV9VCM - WMP 9 Video Compression Manager
29. WMBonusXP - WMP 9 Bonus Pack'Add-ons'
30. .NET Framework 1.1
31. .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
32. .NET Framework 2
33. SQLXML 3.0 SP3 [requires .NET Framework's prior installation]
34. GDIPlus [build 5.1.3102.1360]
35. SAPI Speech 4
36. SAPI Speech 5.1
37. 904706 - DirectX 9.0c Update38. 98SE Unofficial SP 2.1aOther Optional and/or Unofficial Updates
39. ASPI 4.71a
40. DXM9X.EXE - Unofficial DirectX update
41. DXTXTRA.EXE - Unofficial DirectX update [requires .NET Framework's prior installation]
42. 249824 - Unofficial Devices Additions & Removals Error VOLTRACK.VXD fix [build 4.10.1999]
43. TTFPAK.EXE - Unofficial True Type Font Pack
44. RICHED9X.EXE - [updates SE SP 2.1a RICHED20.DLL build 220.127.116.111 to 18.104.22.1684]
46. 269388 - [updates SE SP 2.1a vip.386 build 4.10.2226 to 4.10.2227]
47. OLEUPD.EXE - Unofficial OLE Update [updates SE SP 2.1a asycfilt.dll build 2.40.4522 to 2.40.4526, Olepro32.dll build 5.0.4522 to 5.0.4526, and Stdole2.tlb build 2.40.4522 to 2.40.4526 - see also OLEUPD2.EXE]Modifications
48. MDGx's 98SE2ME (including options requiring ME disk)
49. Reinstall Maximus-Decim's DAC - [reinstallation necessary prior to Maximus-Decim's Native USB?]
50. nusb22e.exe - Maximus-Decim's Native USB 2.2
51. nusb221e - Maximus-Decim's Native USB 2.2e Update
Do some of the items following IE6 SP1 require Visual Basic 6 and/or Windows Scripting Engines v.5.6 (build 22.214.171.12425) to be installed PRIOR to their own installation?
10. 870669 - ADODB.Stream fix [requires MDAC v.2.5 or above's prior installation].
i) 870669 needs MDAC installed PRIOR to it being installed (I'm using the latest one, 2.8 SP1).
ii) MDAC 2.8 SP1 includes
MSXML 3.0 SP7 as part of its install.
Ok, fine. But
iii) further down the list at #16, 905915 - the latest IE6 SP1 Cumulative Update - requires MSXML 3.0 SP7 to be installed after
its own installation.
As you can see, it would have been installed already, before
So, is this a problem? Would I simply reinstall MDAC2.8 SP1 (or more specifically, the MSXML 3.0 SP7 part of it) after 905915? Is it as simple as that? Or will the fact that MSXML 3.0 SP7 was already installed mean that 905915 will not install properly?
This sort of question about the consequences of installation order seems to come up often for me, and I'm often unsure about what the best course of action. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks for looking.
Edited by bristols, 15 December 2005 - 10:23 AM.