SharePoint Services 2003

un4given1

Anyone else out there using SharePoint Services? I would like to share ideas about how you use this.

Here's how I use it....

I am the Director of IT / Operations Manager for a Debt Settlement company. I have used SPS to create an electronic application which allows our agents to sign up a new client, work out a payment plan for them and keep track of their sales through the day/week/month... It also allows for them to setup "follow-up" dates which when viewed using a calendar view shows them when they need to call back someone.

For our customer service department I have created a ticketing application that allows them to record each call they receive and to pass that ticket on to others within' the department until it has been closed.

For our Negotiations deparment I have created a ticketing application which allows our customer service department to request a settlement be done on a client's account. They can enter the creditor balance and once you input the settlement amount it calculates the percents. It also allows you to track other information pertaining to their job function.

For our Accounting department I have created online Accounting Change Forms. These are online forms that our Customer Service department will fill out when a change needs to be done on an account. They just fill out the information pertaining to what they need done and it's sent off to our accounting department. I have also created an NSF database which allows us to track our NSFs and keep followups on them.

I have setup the server to act as a fax machine, so all faxes are received by the server and place into a folder. They are also linked to SPS and viewable right online. I have made it possible to assign each fax to a person.

I have created an online Time Off Request form where an employee can request time off and it will go into pending until approved by their supervisor.

I have also created an online support system which allows employees to request support if they have an issue with their computer or software.

Of course since everyone is locked from deleting an item and each item appends to the previous, it allows for me to track everything everyone is doing. I have increased productivity more times than I could possibly calculate while also making it easy to make sure each issue is followed through with and being able to hold people accountable.

So, if you use SharePoint Services I would really like to know how you use it. I would like some ideas for other things I can do. If you don't use SPS and have any questions please let me know. I'll gladly help if I can.

...If you don't use SPS and have any questions please let me know.  I'll gladly help if I can.

Yes Mr. Director, care to offer me a job :)

I've been using sharepoint, but haven't been utilising as much of its features as you have, thanks for the ideas. Main thing I intended looking into was its integration with Exchange Server for LAN wide IM purposes, but i haven't really done anyhome work on it, plus I've found that Exchange 2003 doesn't come with the IM server software.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all @ "un4given1", check out MS Zero Touch Provisioning;

included in MS BDD 2.0 if u havent done that already because the make heavy use of the SPS to provide a friendly web interface for users within the company. The provisioning part might also hold some intressting information and ideas when it comes to how to utilize SPS for the company.

At the company where I am @ we use SPS as the front end UI for handling processes within the company. We run a strict MS infrastructure, thus having quite a integrated feature stack of MS offers when it comes to backoffice applications.

The heart / brain behind the SPS is BizzTalk Server 2004 which is integrated to communicate / translate "almost" with any other system used within the company. This way we can often provide a user friendly interface for deployment of applications, new employees, user that quits and so on... best of all for the suits at the company that loves that they keep getting reports on how often certain things happens, how often pepz requests resinstallation of their comps and so on.

Once again. everything can be found in the BDD 2.0 white papers.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Can u tell me how to take backup of Sharepoint portal site.

I want to shift my portal Server site(all views,area,documents) residing on one machine server to another portal site residiing on another Machine server ,

mean i want to reproduce the image of sharepoint site.

Tell me how to do it.

Please do Reply.

Regards.

VIkram Arora.

Here's more information about it... My post pretty much details what I use it for. In addition to that we syncronize the calendars in Outlook to the calendars we use online with WSS (Windows SharePoint Services) You can even go to the extent of giving permission to your users to create their own pages to collaborate together or even create their own views.

• 8 months later...

I'm running a 2003 box here myself, but our web-server is a linux based system, and most recently I've been asked to help develop a job-tracking system for a sub-group in the department.

Until about 50 minutes ago, I was thinking of putting together a PHP/MYSQL-driven web-based system, which might take 2-hours to code and design to provide all the functionality needed (job tracking, assignment, etc).

Now I heard about this "Sharepoint services". I've read up a little about it, but I'm still not 100% entierly sure about what it does / can do - it sounds like it could streamline the process of creating an inventory tracking system and similar things - but since our webserver runs off linux, everything it creates would have to be run off that webserver.

If I use this Sharepoint to create the tracking system, will I be able to move it off the 2003 server and serve it up off the linux webserver?