How to make a 7-Zip Switchless Installer

keytotime

Hello,

I'm new to this stuff and i've read this guide and made a simple winrar installer but i've got a few questions :

- how do i tell it which path to install?

- hoe can i preconfigure some setup options? (like shortcuts yes/no and file associations and whatever..)

or is this not possible?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm new to this stuff and i've read this guide and made a simple winrar installer but i've got a few questions :

- hoe can i preconfigure some setup options? (like shortcuts yes/no and file associations and whatever..)

or is  this not possible?

Thanks!

These settings you have to set with the switches. Just look if you can find all the switches for your type of installer.

grtz

Hello,

or is  this not possible?

Thanks!

When you're making the archive, choose "Create SFX Archive" then click on the "Advanced" tab and then "SFX options"

From there you can configure paths, silent/nonsilent mode. shortcuts etc.

Try the help button if you need more info on each option.

File associations will need a reg file or a cmd file

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is about silent switchless sfx 7zip.... but some people also want silent extraction of a 7z archive (no program in the archive that requires installing)...

I have a 7z archive with lots of files sorted in 2 folders (windows and program files), these are extracted to %systemdrive%.

I do it like this, a cmd file started from my RunOnceEx containing:

7za.exe x %cddrive%\XPCD\InstallApps\SYSTEMDRIVE.7z -y -o %systemdrive%\

(I have 7za.exe in my system32 folder by then..)

Now, this works... BUT it does not extract .exe files!!!!! I tried several older versions of 7za.exe, as well as the newest (nonbeta) one... same problem..

tried on several machines... can't figure it out.

For example, in the archive systemdrive.7z: program files\Exact Audio Copy\EAC.exe

Now the Exact Audio Copy folder is created in program files... and all eac files are extracted to that folder EXCEPT EAC.EXE !!!

It is an extremely annoying problem... I hope anyone can bring some sense cause it is really driving me crazy!

(BTW if I extract with Winrar gui or 7zip gui, .EXE files DO get extracted).

EDIT: found the problem... after many weeks..

seems it could not overwrite some files, resulting in an error that was not noticed (no report).

I thought "-y", 'yes on all queries' meant 'overwrite all' but for that the -aoa switch is required:

7za.exe x %cddrive%\XPCD\InstallApps\SYSTEMDRIVE.7z -aoa -y -o %systemdrive%\

The strange thing is, because of this, none of the .exe files were extracted.

I have lots of files and programs (eac, patched MSN files, pdfreader, encoderfiles (xvid etc) some themes and other system32 stuff) in 1 7zip pack, this saves time during setup, and makes the entire process more simple.

Edited by ZileXa

• 3 weeks later...

hurray i finally made my first 7zip installer file...adobe acrobat pro with updates slipstreamed. man it was a struggle....hey keytotime just another suggestion u need to add to this excellent guide....this is with regards to the installation done via msi files....heres wht i did with the config.txt ....

;!@Install@!UTF-8!

RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT \"msiexec /i AcroPro.msi TRANSFORMS=AcroPro.mst /qn\""

;!@InstallEnd@!

yes i made a mst file and installed and it workled flawlessly...i had earlier tried without the transform file...it just extracted it...and then nothing....i then checked the office 2003 file that i had made and checked where i was going wrong and realised that i hadn't mentioned the mst file along with msi.

now i am off to conquer nero 7...wish me luck. :D:hello::thumbup

OK, this is probably a stupid question, but is there any way to get your config.txt file back if you deleted it after doing the copy command? I've tried running the installer and looking in the temp directory and only the files from the .7z archive are there, and extracting the installer gives me the same thing.

OK, this is probably a stupid question, but is there any way to get your config.txt file back if you deleted it after doing the copy command? I've tried running the installer and looking in the temp directory and only the files from the .7z archive are there, and extracting the installer gives me the same thing.

AFAIK, you can't. The files other than the .7z files (7zS.sfx, config.txt) are included in the executable, and not part of the archive that is extracted. That's why when you extract the archive, you only get the contents of the 7-zip file.

You could try this in Command Prompt.

Find /I "RunProgram=" "path\to\file.exe"