Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to make a 7-Zip Switchless Installer

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

keytotime

keytotime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
No idea, don't do autoit

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
Is anybody interested in using the custom 7zS.sfx I made which puts the % complete on the right side of the title bar? I'll post it if there's interest.

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts
yes plz ryan :P

RyanVM

RyanVM

• Members
  • 2,661 posts
OK, here you go. This is the same base SFX module I use for my switchless installers. It's got the % complete on the right side of the title (which I think looks better) and only has the extraction progress meter with no cancel button. I compiled it myself with MSVC++ 2003.

Attached Files

• Attached File  7zS.zip   62.46KB   646 downloads

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• Members
  • 3,291 posts
cool, only 1 prob :P u left the original icons eww :P lol

RyanVM

RyanVM

• Members
  • 2,661 posts
well, it leaves it open for you to change to your liking :P

Marnic-Man

Marnic-Man

• Members
  • 16 posts
I've gotten this going so well, but say I want to taskkill a program after installing... Where would I put the takkill explorer.exe or etc..?

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• Members
  • 3,291 posts
look @ the beginning of this thread.. theres a guide lol

Marnic-Man

Marnic-Man

• Members
  • 16 posts
The only way i can see that I can put stuff like that in is through the config.txt with a .bat file, but completely defeats the purpose of a 7zip installer, cos the extraction would have to go to the same place everytime so i can use the .bat file, I just want it to extract to a temp dir and make a .bat install then copy over crack, then delete temp. That way only 1 file is needed. Can someone tell me what to do?

DLF

DLF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
I have followed the guide to the letter and failed with PowerDVD both trial and retail versions and a number of other apps too. In fact if I double click my PowerDVD installer from a Windows environment it works perfectly and silently, but when I call it from my RunOnceEx it prompts for the install directory - therefore not silent.
I have now given up trying to make one as I'm getting nowhere and "helpful" suggestions like read the guide again dont assist anyone. I have read it so many times I can quote it verbatim. The guide is good and well written.
Suggestions:
1. maybe a list of apps that have been successful
2. maybe ryanvm or someone could post this customised SFX module that will be more tolerant at the start of the thread

Or is it a case of certain apps are never going to be able to be made into switchless installers by this generic method?

Astalavista

Astalavista

MSFN loyalist

• Members
  • 3,338 posts
DLF,

I just winrar for PowerDVD since u only get 50kb savings using 7zip.

I assure u that the PowerDVD guide does work.

Here is my list of apps
Photoshop CS
Illustrator CS
FrontPage 2003
Office Suite 2003
FireFox
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat Pro
NetFrameWork
Norton Internet Security 2005

RyanVM

RyanVM

• Members
  • 2,661 posts
Diskeeper 9
Symantec AntiVirus 9
Java2 Runtime Environment 5 Update 2
.NET Framework 1.1
J# .NET Framework 1.1
Adobe Reader 7.0.1

RyanVM

RyanVM

• Members
  • 2,661 posts
double post

cybpsych

cybpsych

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
Hi!

I'm darn sure that these files are not needed (assuming that it has been installed):

:: instmsia.exe
:: instmsiw.exe

Any1 can comfirm whether I should leave this from the archive?

If I archive all, execute the .MSI in config.txt, but the system don't have MS Installer installed, will the 7-zip switchless installer work?

My theory is that if this doesn't work, i might as well call the setup.exe from config.txt so that it will install MS Installer if non detected in the system.

The folder in question contain:

setup.exe
setup.ini
test.msi
instmsia.exe
instmsiw.exe
0x0409.ini

RyanVM

RyanVM

• Members
  • 2,661 posts
You can remove those two files assuming you're installing on Windows XP

cybpsych

cybpsych

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
thanx ryan,

actually i'm targetting to install these switchless installers on Windows 98SE system ...

these installers contain some USB mass storage device drivers which only requires Windows 98SE :)

looking at the drivers' size floating around 4-5MB, i planned to do this switchless installers in order to reduce the package size ...

but, i noticed that the only large files for the drivers are these 2 MS Installers ...

cybpsych

cybpsych

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
this installation of Installshield packaged is making me nuts :)

after extraction, the temp files in the Temp folder will be removed after 3-4 secs.

I've added this:
;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="setup.exe /SMS"
;!@InstallEnd@!

... and it's still being deleted off the Temp folder, making it near-impossible to finish the setup ...

the only way to continue is to immediate pressing Next button so that the installation can be finished :(

DLF

DLF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
@Astalavista

Yes I can do PowerDVD with Winrar with my eyes shut. Works great. Its 7z ones I'm having trouble with thats why I've used this thread instead of the PowerDVD thread! :whistle:

P.S. Asta = We can all claim we've got Adobe Reader and .NET Framework to work when all we do is download them off RyanVM! In that case then I've got 3 to work cos I use his Java runtime too!

P.P.S. I've just d/l Ryan's customised 7zS module and I will have a dabble with that now.

Astalavista

Astalavista

MSFN loyalist

• Members
  • 3,338 posts

P.S. Asta = We can all claim we've got Adobe Reader and .NET Framework to work when all we do is download them off RyanVM! In that case then I've got 3 to work cos I use his Java runtime too!

huh?

We can all claim?

pls refer to the links in my sig

about 50% of my apps are 7zip

i guess i am just lucky.

:thumbup

cybpsych

cybpsych

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
first, i've been enjoying making 7Z Switchless Installers! Thanks to 'keytotime' for posting the guide here and at MSFN.org. Kudos!

second, is there a special switch for installers packed by InstallShield?

the reason i'm asking this because all of my 7Z Installers having its temporary files deleted before the installation is completed.

i've followed exactly of the steps listed here, compressing went well, packing went well ...

however, when i tried to execute the 7Z installers, the extracted temp files in the TEMP folder will be deleted just about 3-4 seconds after loading the InstallShield Installer.

I peeked the TEMP folder just to see what's wrong. During 7Z extraction, the files were extracted fully. But, after 3-4 secs, most of the files are deleted, leaving just some IS files (which were used to load the IS Installer).

any1 experiencing this?

p/s: thinking of it, this scenario also happens when i use PackageForTheWeb to pack. the files will just *disappear*.

Astalavista

Astalavista

MSFN loyalist

• Members
  • 3,338 posts
keytotime

the latest 7zip beta does not have a 7zs.sfx anymore...

kurt476

kurt476

YU-GI-OH!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
i didn't get that part ware you said 7z SFX i didn't know if i shuld create a SFX .exe or not :} :whistle:

badboy05mtl

badboy05mtl

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
I don't know why this command doesn't work...

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT \"msiexec TRANSFORMS=Unattended.mst /i AcroPro.msi /qb-!\""
;!@InstallEnd@!

badboy05mtl

badboy05mtl

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
anybody here to help

Astalavista

Astalavista

MSFN loyalist

• Members