Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to make a 7-Zip Switchless Installer

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

badboy05mtl

badboy05mtl

Junior

• Pip
  • 63 posts
I am trying to make the unattended acrobate installation. I have Corporation version. I used 7zip i have tried it is not working I don't know why. Can you help me?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Astalavista

Astalavista

MSFN loyalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts
1. if u used the search u would have found the thread dedicated to Adobe Acrobat Pro

2. you would have found the compressing 7zip doesn't save u any space maybe a couple of kb. not much in my opinion.

3. u can use a simple bat file

badboy05mtl

badboy05mtl

Junior

• Pip
  • 63 posts
Yes, I do have corporation but I need only to know how to config the 7zip file since it is not installing with config above I mentioned. Thank you

dwit

dwit

Dwit

• 30 posts
i have a question. I'm trying to make a zip self extracting file; however I'm not using it to actually install a program, but rather just extract multiple zip files into different files. The reason i don't leave them as they are (because the batch file works just fine when ran by itself) is to try and save some space on my cd. So with that said here is my batch file and my config.text file if anyone can help i would much appreciate it.
Batch File:
color 0A
@echo off
SetLocal enableextensions
CLS
Echo.
set fav=%~dp0
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\Favs.7z -o"%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\EBooks.7z -o"%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My E-Books"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\pics.7z -o"%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\Prog.7z -o"%ProgramFiles%"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\Wallpaper.7z -o"%Systmeroot%"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\Resources.7z -o"%Systmeroot%"
EndLocal
GoTo :EOF
:EOF
EXIT
Config.txt:
;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="favs.cmd"
;!@InstallEnd@!

dwit

dwit

Dwit

• 30 posts
** no one have a suggestion **
oh well i'll just do it a different way and play around with it until i figure it outs

galvanocentric

galvanocentric

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
Thank you. :)
With this as my guide I was able to make a fantastic SFX of my entire Macromedia collection... Around 146MB for Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks and the Flash Video Exporter. :thumbup

[EDIT]
Oh, as a sidenote... Everybody now really HAS to use RyanVM's 7zS file (oh, poor us :thumbup ) because as was said there is now more 7zS file included in the 7-zip distribution.

Edited by galvanocentric, 20 July 2005 - 07:42 AM.

rikgale

rikgale

uA lover

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Oh, as a sidenote... Everybody now really HAS to use RyanVM's 7zS file (oh, poor us  ) because as was said there is now more 7zS file included in the 7-zip distribution.

Does anyone know why they stopped inc. 7zS in the 7-Zip distro?

sleepnmojo

sleepnmojo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Oh, as a sidenote... Everybody now really HAS to use RyanVM's 7zS file (oh, poor us  ) because as was said there is now more 7zS file included in the 7-zip distribution.

Does anyone know why they stopped inc. 7zS in the 7-Zip distro?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is an extra now. Not everyone needs it, and its purpose is pretty specialized. Cuts down on the size of the installer, and people who want the new one, can just download the extras pack.

rikgale

rikgale

uA lover

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
Thanx for pointing that out. :)

maybeme

maybeme

• 27 posts
Where do i have to put startx.exe? Should I use this command?
copy /b 7zs.sfx + config.txt + (whatever the archive name).7z (Installer_Name).exe startx.exe

Or should i pack it with the install files?

grtz

EDIT: Ow, I didn't saw this topic has more than 1 page... found the solution:

Copy all the installation files? I assumed you were referring to any files required to install the application we are trying to package. If I am using .msi I must include StartX.exe in the folder with the installation files. (Success)

Maybe someone should add that to the guide

I really love the guide, and when this is added, it would be perfect

Edited by maybeme, 23 July 2005 - 11:43 AM.

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
Well... I'll bump this up since I think it's a great guide and should be easy to find.

By the way... I just made an installer for PhotoshopCS using this method (after finding the 7zS.sfx from the extras package) and also by using the built in SFX method in WinRAR. For some reason, my WinRAR SFX came out at 160,357KB and the 7-zip SFX came out at 160,752KB (both set to Ultra Compression). Strange, no? :)

It reminds me of a simple compression algorithm that we had to make for one of my computer science classes. My friend's "compression" algorithm would actually make the output files smaller if the originals were under 50bytes... :P

maniaq

maniaq

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
hey :hello:

how do i import registries to the install?

could i do this?

copy /b 7zs.sfx + registrytweaks.reg + config.txt + (whatever the archive name).7z (Installer_Name).exe

Edited by maniaq, 27 July 2005 - 03:30 AM.

SyntaxError

SyntaxError

• PipPip
  • 150 posts
It's a real pain in the neck to have to edit a 7zip file with reshack, do some scripting, and write some .cmd files just to make a silent installer, when the ability is already built into Winrar. I mean who really cares about a few kb or a few megs? Doesn't anyone use a dvd-rw for their unattended?

Is there a reason for using 7zip over Winrar other than allegedly smaller installer size?

I say "allegedly" cause I made 2 silent installers for Quicktime Alternative, 1 with 7zip and 1 with Winrar. The difference in size was a matter of a few kb, and it was alot easier and faster to make the Winrar silent installer.

Edited by SyntaxError, 29 July 2005 - 10:49 PM.

Gee

Gee

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
I guess it is a matter of preference. I have used both WinRAR and 7ZIP and I prefer the 7ZIP method. I find it more flexible.

Use what you are comfortable with.

maybeme

maybeme

• 27 posts

hey :hello: 

how do i import registries to the install?

could i do this?

copy /b 7zs.sfx + registrytweaks.reg + config.txt + (whatever the archive name).7z (Installer_Name).exe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that would work. Just make another regfile and putt it in runonex

grtz

PS: Can a moderator please make this thread a sticky?

maybeme

maybeme

• 27 posts
Does anybody know if you can unpack that file again. I get an error, so I want to check if I mistyped something in my config.txt. Anybody an idea?

grtz

keytotime

keytotime

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Extract the file. Install 7-Zip, right click and choose extract. Then try again.

muijsenbergq

muijsenbergq

• 14 posts
Hello,

I'm new to this stuff and i've read this guide and made a simple winrar installer but i've got a few questions :

- how do i tell it which path to install?
- hoe can i preconfigure some setup options? (like shortcuts yes/no and file associations and whatever..)

or is this not possible?

Thanks!

maybeme

maybeme

• 27 posts

Hello,

I'm new to this stuff and i've read this guide and made a simple winrar installer but i've got a few questions :

- hoe can i preconfigure some setup options? (like shortcuts yes/no and file associations and whatever..)

or is  this not possible?

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These settings you have to set with the switches. Just look if you can find all the switches for your type of installer.

grtz

nakira

nakira

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Hello,

or is  this not possible?

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you're making the archive, choose "Create SFX Archive" then click on the "Advanced" tab and then "SFX options"
From there you can configure paths, silent/nonsilent mode. shortcuts etc.
Try the help button if you need more info on each option.

File associations will need a reg file or a cmd file

xtremexxx

xtremexxx

MSFN Addict

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
awesome guide ! thank you very much :)

my first program installed like this was perfectdisk 7 + reg
"If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now, quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers..."
- Homer Simpson

narrative

narrative

• 28 posts
bump.

why isn't this sticky.

thuun derboy

thuun derboy

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
nice guide...

Hopefully this will assist with w2k system revamp as I want to try unattended AutoPatcher(Sept) patching of w2ksp4...been using hfslip tool, which is great.
Have had hotfix issues though, so, here goes nutin'...
thanX.

Attached Files

maybeme

maybeme

• 27 posts
You used 7z.sfx, I think you should use 7zs.sfx which you can download from:
http://prdownloads.s...ar.bz2?download
(it's the beta, you can also use the older final version)

grtz

ZileXa

ZileXa

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
I know this is about silent switchless sfx 7zip.... but some people also want silent extraction of a 7z archive (no program in the archive that requires installing)...

I have a 7z archive with lots of files sorted in 2 folders (windows and program files), these are extracted to %systemdrive%.

I do it like this, a cmd file started from my RunOnceEx containing:
7za.exe x %cddrive%\XPCD\InstallApps\SYSTEMDRIVE.7z -y -o %systemdrive%\
(I have 7za.exe in my system32 folder by then..)

Now, this works... BUT it does not extract .exe files!!!!! I tried several older versions of 7za.exe, as well as the newest (nonbeta) one... same problem..
tried on several machines... can't figure it out.

For example, in the archive systemdrive.7z: program files\Exact Audio Copy\EAC.exe

Now the Exact Audio Copy folder is created in program files... and all eac files are extracted to that folder EXCEPT EAC.EXE !!!

It is an extremely annoying problem... I hope anyone can bring some sense cause it is really driving me crazy!

(BTW if I extract with Winrar gui or 7zip gui, .EXE files DO get extracted).

EDIT: found the problem... after many weeks..
seems it could not overwrite some files, resulting in an error that was not noticed (no report).
I thought "-y", 'yes on all queries' meant 'overwrite all' but for that the -aoa switch is required:
7za.exe x %cddrive%\XPCD\InstallApps\SYSTEMDRIVE.7z -aoa -y -o %systemdrive%\
The strange thing is, because of this, none of the .exe files were extracted.

I have lots of files and programs (eac, patched MSN files, pdfreader, encoderfiles (xvid etc) some themes and other system32 stuff) in 1 7zip pack, this saves time during setup, and makes the entire process more simple.

Edited by ZileXa, 27 September 2005 - 01:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN