USB HDD DISAPPEARS AFTER BOOT

sgbrito

Hi all,

I have a USB external HDD and when I plug it (Windows XP, SP2), it works fine. Windows recognizes it and a new drive (I:) appears in Windows explorer.

The problem is, when I reboot the PC, Windows explorer doesn´t mount

automatically the HDD (I:).

I need to unplug the HDD and plug it again in order to access the HDD (I:)

Does anybody know how to solve it ?

Thanks

sgbrito

Hi horsecharles,

Thanks for the info, but my problem is a little bit different from theirs.

Every time a plug the hdd, it works fine, Windows Explorer maps the drive (I:).

If I keep the hdd plugged and (reboot) or (turn off and turn on) the computer,

Windows explorer doesn´t map automatically the drive. I have to unplug and then

plug the hdd in order to access the hdd.

Thanks anyway

sgbrito

Sorry to hear, sgbrito :}

My next thought, since this is USB, is power(btw let's list everything & let you discount what's obvious-- to avoid missing something if we assume you already did / know, & to completely eliminate each possible suspect one by one, even if not likely):

First, though, i'd enable bootlogging to see if anything not only failed to load, but if it took extra long-- and as well system info & event viewer may hold clues-- scroll down at this page if you require the steps to do so:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...mc_str_xhtz.asp

And when you looked up both updated mobo & the usb disk drivers, was there any mention on either site about a know issue w/ any XP patch / pack(there've been specific USB firmware upgrades released for SP2).....

When you looked in Device Manager for anything untoward, in the drive's Properties was udma enabled(and as well in windows & bios udma enabled)...

I would toggle off all hibernate & standby in both windows & bios..

IF possible switch port..... both for it & any other usb peripheral...

Connect drive to another computer, change cable.....

Physically turn off & disable in Device Manager as many peripherals as possible, and as well unplug them inside the case: this not only to see if there's a power issue, but when you re-enable them they may all load in different order, which maybe also could be a cause...

Also, when you reconnect them inside, try to re-connect them all to defferent slots than they were individually plugged into before(do this as well for all other peripherals possible)-- the reason here is that there's a small chance that an irq assignment may be causing a conflict between devices-- and more than likely your pc's original installation mode(acpi) precludes manually changing irq assignments-- this trick will cause them to be grouped / assigned differently & just maybe........