Increasing Performance

el_diablo4303

Also ignore anyone wh0o says to disable as many services as possible.  The Indexing service is about the onyl one that will decrease perofrmance.  Any service that is not being used is not using up any memory or CPU cycles.  Also many people that disable services run into problems in the future.  It is OK to disable a few that you find you don't like though.  For example I disable Security Center and Themes.

That´s what I´m saying, disable Themes and Index services, those are the big ones. For beginners I don´t advice to disable more services. I have 8 running but that´s bc I know what I´m doing ;)

thank 4 all da advices. i've disable some servise in control setting>administrative tools>servises..

but i'm not really know what servises thats not important. as far as i remember..i disable COM+ Event System....fax servise....net logon..net meeting remote dekstop sharing...remote access...smart card...wireless configuration...n more. i'm not remember coz i'm not using m pc right now...i'm in office right now. using office pc B)

well...is't alright for disabling some servises? some that not important for home user likes me? is any servises else that i could disable?

@ el_diablo4303

If you have two seperate hard drives, it is sometimes an advantage to install games on the second drive if it is as fast or faster than your main hard drive with your OS on it.

If you are running anything that is graphics intensive, then having a small or no pagefile will show up pretty quickly with 512 MB of RAM. Splitting your pagefile over the two hard drives should help also.

DL

@DL

i do have 2 seperated hard disk. 1 HD for programming....internet....n graphic intensive. the other 1 HD for games. however...i don't use both of them at 1 time.

1'st part :

for usually used....i'll plug the 1'st HD. run adobe photoshop..dreamweaver...flash..n swish at the same time n not forget...winamp :) so...question is...what should i do about this? should i disable pagefile? tell me about this one....

2'nd part :

when i want to play game..i'll plug the 2'nd HD..unplug the 1'st HD. while play game(for example...needs for speed-underground)..usually i run winamp. so...what shoul i do about this?did it really requires pagefile? how can set it? at what cost? 1G or more?

thanks in advance guys... :D

@ el_diablo4303 If you are not running both hard drives at the same time, then you can't do what I suggested. Either way, what you are doing is graphics intensive so have at least 1.5 x RAM in pagefile. The site that puntoMX suggests has a lot of information that will inform you of what you might need to do and help you make the decisions you will need to make on your own. It's a large site, it's a good site.

DL

If you have two seperate hard drives, it is sometimes an advantage to install games on the second drive if it is as fast or faster than your main hard drive with your OS on it.
This is more personal personal preference then anything. In theory yes it would help loading maps slightly, but I would much rather use a second drive for other uses.
If you are running anything that is graphics intensive, then having a small or no pagefile will show up pretty quickly with 512 MB of RAM. Splitting your pagefile over the two hard drives should help also.

Why does everyone want to tweak the pagefile? Just leave it system managed.

Look here for more info on services, it´s good for people who start to play with them:

http://www.blackviper.com/

Blackvipers site is crap. He gives stupid service advice and also does not explain enough about certain services. There is no reason to disable as many seervices as possible. It will not increase prformance. IF you find something annoyign liek Security Center you can disable the service. INdexing is the only service that will really affect perormance.

Also, keep always a swap file to play safe, I have 512MB RAM and a swap file of 768MB (about 1.5 times the RAM). You will not gain much performance by disabling the swap file.
Yes, you will not benefit at all from not having a pagefile. I reccomend leaving it system managed, but if you don't it is best to put th initial size 4x times the amount that is written to your PF. To determine this you will have to run perfmon after running your most intensive applications. The max should be 2x that.
The site that puntoMX suggests has a lot of information that will inform you of what you might need to do and help you make the decisions you will need to make on your own. It's a large site, it's a good site.

Actually that sit4e will give him alot fo false information.

It’s created automatically when you set your swap file, page file, virtual memories or what ever you like to call it.

- Right click on "My Computer" and select properties

- Go to advanced tab

- Performance - button: settings

- Then you get a window with Performance Settings, go to Advanced

- Down that tab you will see Virtual Memory with a button: change

There you can change your setting ;).

The site that puntoMX suggests has a lot of information that will inform you of what you might need to do and help you make the decisions you will need to make on your own. It's a large site, it's a good site.

Actually that sit4e will give him alot fo false information.

Like what false information :blink: ? Most of the information there helped a lot of people. So can you give me a better site besides the Microsoft page (Most people will get lost ;) )?

@puntoMX

thanks..i've ready chage it to minimun 1500MB n maximum to 1700MB.

@KoolDrew

u've said that www.blackviper.com didn't help...ur suggestion? do u have any url that really help on this?if u do have..tell me then..

as far as i concern..that website do have good advise so far. u can share ur idea about this in here. i really happy for that. sharing knowledge.