WinXP crashes like hell!

s1m0n

I am running WinXP Pro final corp. The friggin O/S crashes like a b***h, hangs at hella random times.

I then see the BSOD and the error message says nv4_disp has cause infinite loop error. What the f*** does that mean?!? I've tried alot of different detonators, but it's still the same thing.

help anyone?

my system spec:

1 GHz K7

Via 133 chipset

pc150 512mb ram

maxi sound muse

geforce 2 gts/pro

d-link lan

ibm deskstar 60GB

52x cdrom

winxp 2600 corp

tried all nv4 detonators and some older dets.

LouCypher: i've read that post already, using different det doesn't help... although i notice 21.88 tends to crash more than 20.80.

and i don't think it's irq prob, i've pulled out my cards, etc, no avail.

...maybe this has to do with geforce 2 gts/pro's bios?

anyone point me to a place where i can find the newest gts/pro's bios? (datewise please) i don't care much for the manufacture, i can modify it so it'll work on my card.

thanks peepz!

Ok I went on the XP newsgroups, Both private and public and have spent some time on this subject only because alot of people are having the same promblem with this. I havent solved it but I have it down to 3 main things....so lets see if you might have a few of them.

People that have had this error usually have one if not all of the following things installed in there system

[b:ce01cc4df3]1. Soundblaster Live sound card

2. Roxio's CD Creator

3. VIA Chipset[/b:ce01cc4df3]

Now I see that you dont have the soundblaster, but you do have a VIA Chipset. How about CD Creator?

Im not saying this is the promblem Im just reporting what Ive noticed with several dozen PC having this promblem. Ive search MicroSHafts Data base and they dont contain such an error under Hardware or Software errors stops. So if you have CD Creator why dont you try to uninstall that first. If you dont have that let me know the Model and maker of your Motherboard is and Ill see what I can find.

-Chris

Guest LouCypher

Just my two bits to the last post but I've got a VIA chipset and SB Live! (CT4760) but I don't have Roxio (I use Nero) and I [b:96aca2a5b9]don't[/b:96aca2a5b9] have this problem.

Maybe it is Roxio?

Guest LouCypher

A flaw in XPerties theory might be s1m0n didn't mention a CD-RW in his system specs which would lead me to guess he probably [b:2f7a3020d6]isn't[/b:2f7a3020d6] running Roxio. I'm not either but I do meet the other two criteria and I don't have the problem.

LouCypher is correct, i don't use any burning prog. my burner croaked on me a while back, and since i have a pretty fat drive, i was too lazy to get myself a new burner.

(for those who are wondering how i installed xp: i extracted the iso and install from hd... whole installation process took less than 30 min)

You could always remove the old detonator drivers using detonator destroyer

and then install the XP detonator drivers (21.81 I think) - I'm running detonator build 21.83 and these are fine.

Both of these can be found at

ht*p://www.3dguru.com

No active links...edited by mod[/color:78f97b092d]

Guest LouCypher

Detonator 21.83 is the latest official version from Nvidia.

See page here: h*tp://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000

If you want a direct link to it (this is FTP so active is ok):

Here