Dumb Question On Viewing Texts

this is going to sound really crazy,

if i take something into word at the status bar it will tell me the line i am on yet when i goto page 30 the line numbers start over.

pretty much willing to bet you all dont try to do the math to find line number 2005.

what program or how to you make notepad goto line 256?

thanks

wherzdaluv

I recommend using Notepad2 by www.flos-freeware.ch.

It is as fast as the original Notepad, has got text highlighting and you can make the line numbers being shown.

Hope, that helps.

btw: You can easily implement Notepad2 in your unattended installation. Simply download, unpack and rename the Notepad2.exe to Notepad.exe. Then open a command prompt in the directory, Notepad2 is in.

Then type

makecab Notepad.exe

After that, just put the notepad.ex_ in your i386 folder on your unattended CD and Windows will install the new Notepad instead of the old one :)

cu

FuNKeR

If you do any script writing, or even batch files, you may find Scite to be useful replacement. It can be configured to show line numbers, white space, and does color highlighting and syntax checking (and can even run the code through your compiler for error checking) for just about any programming/scripting language there is. It's open source... free as in beer and free as in speech.

and while it may be a bit more than what youre looking for.. I highly recommend UltraEdit. If you do even the least bit of coding or working in plain text files in general, this prog can save you tons of time.

The feature is built right in the notepad;

Look for Go to.. under the Edit menu, or alternatively press Ctrl + G and enter the line no. Pressing Ctrl + G will display the current line no.

Cheers

Raja