Beyond Ping&tracert

Hi,

I need to see the 1's and 0's pass across the screen. I figure I can look up, in MCSE study guides or something, which code his handled by each layer of the network protocol stack, but I need to find out how to do this ASAP.

While at a community network I was just performing a PING and TRACERT(lucky for me the administrator conveniently has no permissions in place on the Netware!)

- anyways, when the Tech saw me do this he was all impressed and said I might be able to get a job there.

The thing is I don't know as much as he thinks, but I would like to impress his boss. That way I can get hired to help keep the hardware clean and make sure all the users sign in. :thumbup

Can anyone here describe which commands, selections or paths I would enter from the DOS command prompt? I can already show them how to perform, for example:

DIR/W/P or navigate from DIR to DIR.

I just need to be able to show off a little bit more! :D

Thank You,

Big Time,

not to be mean or anything but the Tech was impressed when saw you do a simple ping or tracert? and what about changing directories? show them this they'll like it DELTREE /Y C:

incase you didnt know, dont do that, it erases the c: pretty much like format c: but only you can do it from within windows idk if it works in XP but i know it works in 2000 and below, my friend didnt believe me that it worked and tried it on one of the school computers and it was like Deleting.... (bunch of system files)

Done!

and he was like oh Sh*t! and me and my other friend just started dying laughing

:no:

Thanks Brando, but someone already showed them that DELTREE works.

I'm searching, so maybe I'll find out by reading about TCP/IP.

PS- someone showed them FDISK, FORMAT and a few other commands; but I'm trying to help them, not hurt them.

Actually they don't want to hire a tech, what they REALLY want is a certified engineer who's humble enough to push a broom. :P

What I'm really after, to give you a more clear picture, is a way to practice navigating around the DOS command line interface. Reading books is great, but it doesn't compare to hands-on experience.

My only access to a network at this time is the libraries and public community computer networks etc. most of which have XP, and the permissions by Novell Client prevent such things. :realmad:

I'm searching for a way to develop and practice my networking skills and I figured I would try to get information from someone who actually knows something.

Reading books is great

That is where most of us started :)

To start, since you have no home network is to download VMware. Install another copy of an OS; either linux or Windows and you have your own home network ;)

Or you could actually impress your boss with the knowledge you will have gained from reading DOS books. There are a multitude of DOS tutorials online. Instead of trying to impress your boss with how little you know, I suggest that you read those tutorials so you'll do something useful once in a while.

Yeah, you can just read books and practice off your computer and do what un4given1 said so you have internet. But alot of the books that i got helped a whooole lot and i just impress my computer lab teachers. I probably no more than they do :P since im only 14 i still read alot of books and get so much information its crazy.

:hello:

Thanks everybody! I opened a VMware account so downloading Linux is in the near future. Until then I'll be checking out the tutorials (yours as well KAndle!)

Since it's on the same subject- in case anybody would like to provide comments or advice about peer networks, I'm planning to connect two 486's. One has windows 95, the other DOS v? Just for fun of course.

For starters the PC's won't be online, but since the goal is just to learn as much as possible from the experience I'm open to more suggestions-

The plan is to put the network online at some point in the future.

A DOS pc connecting to Win95? Haha woah... You using TCP/IP or NETBEUI? You need the MS DOS Client 3.0. The NETBEUI setup is easy the TCP/IP a bit more complex. Your best bet is to search for a TCP/IP boot disk on Google and try to configure the DOS machine like the disk. Once your DOS machine is on the Internet? (if that is your intention) what then? There aren't many WWW Browers for DOS... hehe You are better off loading Linux without X-Windows and using it on that PC (486).