Efficient File Recovery Recommendations

WhatBackHand

Anybody got any good recommendations for a good file recovery program? Preferably freeware but if it’s commercial then that’s OK also. I need to do a file recovery for a friend. Most of the files on his hard drive have been deleted. :no:

I (he) would rather pay for something that will work and be efficient than struggle with freeware.

I’ve downloaded some eval software and all looked at the drive. It does appear as if at least the data is recoverable. I’m not bothered about recovering Windows, that will get reinstalled once the data is recovered and backed up!

I should add that his drive is now in my machine so I all I need is a “good” recovery program that will efficiently recover directories as well as individual files. A virus scan of his drive does not find anything and the drive does not appear to show any errors and is only a few months old.

He did not have up to date virus definition files and does not have a backup of any of the data! :whistle:

I use Ontracks Easy Data Recovery almost daily on customers drive with great succes, they have a demo version you can download and see what it thinks it will recover. That way you don't have to spend the $100+ to see if you can get anything.

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

It appears as if these programs all recover to a new location. Anyone know of a program that restores to original location? It's going to take me several hours to make a list of all the directories and then restore them directory by directory to a new structure and then burn it to a DVD.

Provisionally I've gone with File Rescue Plus, to recover the data and then a complete rebuild of the disk.

@IcemanND. Now if I'd even stopped and thought about it at all I shouldn't have asked that question! Yet another one of those D'oh moments.

Thanks everyone for the recomendations.

EDIT

For information R-Studio is www.r-tt.com. And is now top of my list of candidates :thumbup