Reducing Bartpe

fess

Try UPX on exe ocx dll and (+ a whole lot more file types) and you can easily free up some space.

For example, all nero 32bit exe file can be UPXed. (Version 6.6.0.8 = 14.6 MB Same version using UPX = 4.17 MB.) Adobe exe and dll files work fine after UPX as well. Acrobat becomes A LOT smaller. Many windows files work fine too.

Be sure to test all programs to be sure they work!! I cannot stress this enough.

I personally use 2 different front ends for UPX. UPX Shell by Darklordz and GUIPex.

Be warned... big files like nero.exe or photoshop.exe can take a long time to compress.

A tip....don't use max compression, use the setting just below max. It will compress much quicker and the size difference between this and max is negligible.

LiquidSage

Thanks for help, I will try to do it.

Many windows files work fine too.

That mean some files are not work? Which files are not work?

But can I remove some files from windir completely?

That mean some files are not work? Which files are not work?
Yes some files cannot be compressed by UPX, moreover compressing files "could" slow your system due to the CPU overhead needed to decompress them on the fly.

If you want to reduce to a minimum Hard disk or CD occupied space you must accept some slower working of the system.

You have to go on a trial and error basis, to my best knowledge there is not a list of files "UPXABLE"

But can I remove some files from windir completely?

Yes, it is possible, but again, to my best knowledge there is not a complete list.

By using nlite on the source directory before making your BartPE you can get rid of MOST of the "unneeded" files.

I have made some experiments with Win 2k, not XP.

As of now I managed to reduce a win2k install to around 75-80 Mb, by removing unneeded files, including network ones and UPXing all was possible.

This was made by trial and error, and on an installed filesystem, so it can be used only as a list of "minimum" files needed, and must be "customized on the hardware (drivers) requirements.

How much of this applies to XP I cannot say.

If you are interested, post again, I will attach a "DIR" of the files.

jaclaz

By using nlite on the source directory before making your BartPE you can get rid of MOST of the "unneeded" files.
I was try to do it, but BartPe write: "There where 435 errors and 0 warnings" and don't create iso image :(
If you are interested, post again, I will attach a "DIR" of the files.

I am interested, attach it, please :)

I am using WinXp, but I think Win2K and Xp is not very different.

Ok, here you are.

In the attached file there are three files

NT911dir.txt is a dir /s of a minimal Win2k install WITHOUT WBEM

WINNTdir.txt is a dir /s of a minimal Win2k install with files UPXed and WBEM

WIPdir.txt is a dir /s of the files needed for a certain function (i.e. Control Panel or Add printer)

Please note that in both version I moved the "external" directory "Documents and Settings" inside the NT directory, renaming it to NTDocs and, since there are no programs installed, deleted the "Program Files" folder, AFTER having moved the MSINFO folder inside the NT directory.

jaclaz

Filelist.zip

You could look for example, in the Plugin folder for something by me (Wendy) of the title "delnetwork" or "delnetwk". There's also a "delfonts" plugin, that allows you to add and remove fonts.

Try these plugins of mine

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10048

This is my shell plugins: these mainly fix up BartPE's lack of timezone, etc.

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8358

Endbuild, and assorted plugins.

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9812

A more recent version.

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8869

Tidy plugins (ie they remove files not required)

Wendy