Display Properties - Advanced Settings - Gone!

I'm not sure if this is the cause of 98SE Unofficial service pack or 98Lite 4.7 SLEEK which i'm using but If i go to > Display Properties > Settings > Advanced Settings > I no longer have my ATI Control Panel tabs and when I press OK/CANCEL I get a Kernel32.dll error (Machine still works though).

SO I'm wondering if its 98lite SLEEK causing those extra panels in there to not show up. This has happened on two machines I've installed on

I Installed in this order:

1. 98Lite 4.7 SLEEK Install

2. Directx 9.0c

3. Hardware drivers - ATI - Nforce2

4. Unofficial Service Pack 2.0rc1

5. Windows Update critical fixes

Only minor problem - otherwise system is VERY fast - I play World of Warcraft lots and with only 512mb NO MORE stuttering because of 98SE

Thanks and keep up good work :D

Check your startup (MsConfig) for the following:

Name: ATIPTA

Path: C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe

Status 	 Name         Command          Description
U      atiptaxx     Atiptaxx.exe  
U      AtiPTA       Ati2ptxx.exe  
U      AtiPTA       Atiptaxx.exe  
U      AtiPTAAA     Atiptaxx.exe       Control panel for the ATI series of video cards allowing access to such features as display resolution, colour depth, etc. Available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display. Some users may need it if they have optimised their settings

This is the exact Error message and I can now confirm I get this error and this happens after the Unofficial Service Pack 2.0 rc1 is installed - I just did a clean install and took the same steps as above.

RUNDLL32 caused an invalid page fault in

module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff87ede.

Registers:

EAX=c00308e8 CS=0177 EIP=bff87ede EFLGS=00010212

EBX=0063f580 SS=017f ESP=0053ffec EBP=00540058

ECX=0054020c DS=017f ESI=81d82c64 FS=3247

EDX=bff76855 ES=017f EDI=00540234 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

53 56 57 8b 30 83 7d 10 01 8b 4e 38 89 4d f8 75

Stack dump:

What is showing as a disply adapter, yours or some other default?

Can you reload the drivers? If so, that's what I would do....

Then if after reinstalling the drivers and all OK, the issue can be checked...

The Adapter is not changed after installing the USP 2.0 rc1 - the problem is in the advanced setting area of Display properties where you find the extra settings/tabs for the specific video card such as Overlay, Direct 3D, OPenGL, 3D Colors etc...

I have 2 home computers and I've tried the same setup on both (Win98SE and WinXP dual boot, 98se + 98lite + USP 2.0 rc1) Using the steps above and have come up with the same results on both systems. One system has a ATI Radeon 9100 64mb (latest drivers for 98SE) and other Nvidia TI4200 (Latest drivers for 98se) and both have their control panels tabs not showing up in the Advanced setting area of Display Properties after installing the Unofficial Service Pack 2.0 Rc1 - If go into the display properties > Settings > Advanced > I receive that kernel32.dll error upon trying to exit and no extra tabs for my specific video cards are being shown.

maybe this is basic but i would start with what jasinwa pointed: uninstall all the drivers (if you use "drivercleaner" better), then reinstall drivers and control panel (separately). if this doesn't work you can also try to reinstall directx.

Yeah i just finished installing Direct x 9.0c and my Nvidia detonator drivers (newest ones off Nvidias site for 98SE) and still no graphics specific tabs showing up and still the kernel32.dll error

Anyone with a similair setup getting anything remotely close to this in errors?

I'll try a fresh install again today but with 1.5 Unofficial service pack instead and see what happens.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the exact same problem with display properites/advanced. It happens after I install the unofficial service pack 2.0.1. It doesn't have anything to do with the Catalyst drivers because the error happens without drivers installed. Once the service pack is installed I get this problem in advanced properites, and there is no control panel after installing Catalyst drivers.

RUNDLL32 caused an invalid page fault in

module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff87ede.

Registers:

EAX=c0030938 CS=0177 EIP=bff87ede EFLGS=00010212

EBX=0063f580 SS=017f ESP=0053ffec EBP=00540058

ECX=0054020c DS=017f ESI=8199ec68 FS=28d7

EDX=bff76855 ES=017f EDI=00540234 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

53 56 57 8b 30 83 7d 10 01 8b 4e 38 89 4d f8 75

Stack dump:

I just finished re-installing everything (formatted), installed the drivers in a different order. Same problem. I've installed VIA 4-in-1, DirectX 9.0c, SBLive drivers, Linksys wireless drivers, critical updates. I am using 98Lite Sleek to install, but, as mentioned above, the display settings work fine until I install the unofficial service pack. No other problems to mention. I just wish I could get into the advanced control panel somehow. :}