Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Mce On One Cd

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

40oz

40oz
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 13-March 05
I know that this has been talked about already but I can't seem to find the postings. I have Windows XP Media Center Edition on two cds. When I go to install them it doesn't ask me for the second cd. So presumably I have the wrong cd key...But I purchased this version. So what I am curious about is integrating the MediaCTR.cab file into a new copy of my windows xp cd. Since I can't seem to find the posting could someone either post a link to it or help me out a little?

Thanks

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

soldier1st

soldier1st

I Work For The Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
i think cd 2 has bonus stuff on it,then again i'm not quite sure
Here At Shinra HQ,Any and All Resistance Against The Shinra Will Be Dealt With Thus Utilizing Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

Marsden

Marsden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Joined 17-May 04
The 2nd CD is the guts of MCE 2004.

DaveXP

DaveXP

The One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined 15-July 03
if you have two cds then its windows media center 2005 not 2004. you can add the second cd to the first cd by editing the txtsetup.sif file removing the enterys that say %cd2name% chnage to %cdname% then copy the files and folders to the root directory of the windows cd and it will not ask for the second cd anymore.

WBHoenig

WBHoenig

• PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 20-March 05
Copy the first CD to the HD, and then copy the second CD to the same directory. It will be larger than 700 megabytes, so you must put it on a DVD. If you do not have a DVD burner, you are out of luck.
Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition.

lockedon

lockedon

• 26 posts
  • Joined 02-February 04
You don't have to put it on a dvd. It will fit on a cd if you use nlite.
Just don't remove framework or media center will not install correctly.

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

if you have two cds then its windows media center 2005 not 2004. you can add the second cd to the first cd by editing the txtsetup.sif file removing the enterys that say %cd2name% chnage to %cdname% then copy the files and folders to the root directory of the windows cd and it will not ask for the second cd anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot! Needed this....
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

McoreD

McoreD

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 03-September 04

Copy the first CD to the HD, and then copy the second CD to the same directory.  It will be larger than 700 megabytes, so you must put it on a DVD. If you do not have a DVD burner, you are out of luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! :)

The ISO is about 835 MB and you just have to burn it to a 99 min CD. That's all. (The way I did it).

XPC-001

XPC-001

• 37 posts
  • Joined 23-January 04

Copy the first CD to the HD, and then copy the second CD to the same directory.  It will be larger than 700 megabytes, so you must put it on a DVD. If you do not have a DVD burner, you are out of luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! :)

The ISO is about 835 MB and you just have to burn it to a 99 min CD. That's all. (The way I did it).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

99min cd? WTF.. i didnt think they exist at all. do the major retails have them like bestbuy or compusa
Intel Core2Duo e6300 & DG965WH
2GBDDR2 Dual Channel ( 2x1GB Patriot )
ATI X700 PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E
Hitachi 160gb Sata [ Main / Primary ]
Western Digital 80gb Sata [ Spare / Slave ]

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
the way i look at it is: if you have a "Media Center PC" you should have a DVD Drive. Seriously, having no DVD drive must mean a weak Media Center. Time to buy a DVD drive imo.
Recommended Software: KeePass | Microsoft ICE | VisualWget | Vitamin D Video |

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Actually, you could have it all on one normal CD itself. Just delete the junk from the resulting combined set of files:

1. Delete the "Support" and "Valueadd" folders from CD1 to save about 20 MB.
2. Delete the "dotnetfx" folder from CD1 (this one is to be done carefully, I'm not sure if removing .NET framework will still let it work fine) to cut out 40 MB of junk.
3. Delete these folders inside I386 on CD1 - "LANG", "WIN9XMIG", "WIN9XUPG", and "WINNTUPG". Now another 138 MB is chopped off safely (with the limitation that now you can only directly boot from the CD and clean-install, with no option to upgrade an existing Windows OS - which should be fine since the clean-install method is the best method anyway).

4. Delete these folders inside CMPNENTS from CD2 - "NETFX" and "TABLETPC". This should chop off another 98 MB from CD2.

Now see the total size of your MCE 2005 CD (combining both CD1 and CD2) :D
Its just 546 MB now.

Happy?
No need for DVD-writer now, and no need of 99-minute CDs.
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
good post prathapml this gets asked every week, can we get a clean post like that and have it made a sticky in this section?

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
No, they can just as well read it I guess.
If they miss it, then hard luck! ;)

Oh, and please don't credit me for above post - I'm just telling the normal slimming as in the uA XP discs with a bit of difference for MCE!

angel0104

angel0104

• PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 01-March 04
can i use my vlk xp instead of the disc1 from mce05? mce 05 depends on the cd key right?

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

mce 05 depends on the cd key right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes - but that is only when you use the MCE disc.
When installing from CD1, if you give a MCE key, then you get MCE installed, and if you give an XP Pro retail key, then you get it installed without the MCE extensions.

Using your vlk XP gives you XP pro vlk alone - no way of getting MCE with it.

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
But do you get WMP10 with it?
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
If you use the MCE disc1, then you will get WMP10 - no matter if you give an MCE key or XP Pro retail key.

Using a plain XP Pro (or with SP2) disc, however, there's no way an MCE key will work at all, in the first place. And even if it does, you're not going to be prompted to insert CD2, nor get WMP10 pre-installed.

Therefore I'm thinking of moving my uA to an MCE2k5 CD1 as my base (because WMP10 is already present). But then, I can't since MCE does not support joining an ADS domain. Is there anyway to enable domain support on MCE?

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
You can join a domain during Windows setup if a network card is detected, since CD1 is really just XP Pro SP2.

CD2 is the MCE disk, once that is installed the option to join a domain in System Properties is greyed out, but this has been 'patched' a while ago.

If you do connect to a domain Fast User Switching is disabled and you cannot use a Media Center Extender. :rolleyes:

http://www.neowin.ne...7&category=main
http://www.vortex-scratchpad.info/

Edited by DigeratiPrime, 11 April 2005 - 11:56 AM.

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Thanks for that link! Gotta try it out what it suggests now.

Anyways, who cares about media center extender. I don't use fast-user-switching either, since that slows down windows.

The only reason of using MCE2k5 CD1 in place of XPpro CD, is because the MCE disc is already updated and patched and has WMP10 and so on and so on....... Makes unattending/updating it easier.

B|ue4EVer

B|ue4EVer
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 27-May 05
another way to built a Media Center 2005 CD is to slipstream SP2 to an previous MC Edition ... excuse my post if this technique is well known amoung u guys

Innocent Devil

Innocent Devil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 04-February 05
I dont Think so :no:

mce2005 is newr than XP sp2

Whe u slipstream SP2 to previous MCE u get MCE 2004 not 2005
"The level of security that Vista is trying to achieve to protect video and audio is more extreme than anything the US government has ever considered necessary for protecting its most sensitive classified data."

Read Full Article @ [A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection]

Don't be lame [Linux is NOT Windows]

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

another way to built a Media Center 2005 CD is to slipstream SP2 to an previous MC Edition ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. Thanks for the info... :)
But I have to add, that in that way, u lose out on the WMP 10 being integrated, and the new Royale theme.

Innocent Devil

Innocent Devil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 04-February 05
That's why its MCE 2004 not 2005 :-)
"The level of security that Vista is trying to achieve to protect video and audio is more extreme than anything the US government has ever considered necessary for protecting its most sensitive classified data."

BrandonS_Mil

BrandonS_Mil

"You were the chosen one...."

• PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 20-October 04

Actually, you could have it all on one normal CD itself. Just delete the junk from the resulting combined set of files:

1. Delete the "Support" and "Valueadd" folders from CD1 to save about 20 MB.
2. Delete the "dotnetfx" folder from CD1 (this one is to be done carefully, I'm not sure if removing .NET framework will still let it work fine) to cut out 40 MB of junk.
3. Delete these folders inside I386 on CD1 - "LANG", "WIN9XMIG", "WIN9XUPG", and "WINNTUPG". Now another 138 MB is chopped off safely (with the limitation that now you can only directly boot from the CD and clean-install, with no option to upgrade an existing Windows OS - which should be fine since the clean-install method is the best method anyway).

4. Delete these folders inside CMPNENTS from CD2 - "NETFX" and "TABLETPC". This should chop off another 98 MB from CD2.

Now see the total size of your MCE 2005 CD (combining both CD1 and CD2) biggrin.gif
Its just 546 MB now.

Happy?
No need for DVD-writer now, and no need of 99-minute CDs.

I did the above, and guess what..... I got an error.... MCE said it needed the "netfx" folder... for what i don't know... but once i replaced.... it worked just fine...
"Good, Good, I can feel your anger. It gives you power, makes you stronger!"

Innocent Devil

Innocent Devil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 04-February 05
U shouldn't Remove netfx Dir of cmpnents folder. It should be copied along with mediactr bcoz it provides the .NET framework for Media Center
bcoz MC is a.NET app :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users