Mce On One Cd

If you use the MCE disc1, then you will get WMP10 - no matter if you give an MCE key or XP Pro retail key.

Using a plain XP Pro (or with SP2) disc, however, there's no way an MCE key will work at all, in the first place. And even if it does, you're not going to be prompted to insert CD2, nor get WMP10 pre-installed.

Therefore I'm thinking of moving my uA to an MCE2k5 CD1 as my base (because WMP10 is already present). But then, I can't since MCE does not support joining an ADS domain. Is there anyway to enable domain support on MCE?

You can join a domain during Windows setup if a network card is detected, since CD1 is really just XP Pro SP2.

CD2 is the MCE disk, once that is installed the option to join a domain in System Properties is greyed out, but this has been 'patched' a while ago.

If you do connect to a domain Fast User Switching is disabled and you cannot use a Media Center Extender. :rolleyes:

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=26497&category=main

http://www.vortex-scratchpad.info/

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Thanks for that link! Gotta try it out what it suggests now.

Anyways, who cares about media center extender. I don't use fast-user-switching either, since that slows down windows.

The only reason of using MCE2k5 CD1 in place of XPpro CD, is because the MCE disc is already updated and patched and has WMP10 and so on and so on....... Makes unattending/updating it easier.

• 1 month later...
Actually, you could have it all on one normal CD itself. Just delete the junk from the resulting combined set of files:

1. Delete the "Support" and "Valueadd" folders from CD1 to save about 20 MB.

2. Delete the "dotnetfx" folder from CD1 (this one is to be done carefully, I'm not sure if removing .NET framework will still let it work fine) to cut out 40 MB of junk.

3. Delete these folders inside I386 on CD1 - "LANG", "WIN9XMIG", "WIN9XUPG", and "WINNTUPG". Now another 138 MB is chopped off safely (with the limitation that now you can only directly boot from the CD and clean-install, with no option to upgrade an existing Windows OS - which should be fine since the clean-install method is the best method anyway).

4. Delete these folders inside CMPNENTS from CD2 - "NETFX" and "TABLETPC". This should chop off another 98 MB from CD2.

Now see the total size of your MCE 2005 CD (combining both CD1 and CD2) biggrin.gif

Its just 546 MB now.

Happy?

No need for DVD-writer now, and no need of 99-minute CDs.

I did the above, and guess what..... I got an error.... MCE said it needed the "netfx" folder... for what i don't know... but once i replaced.... it worked just fine...

• 1 month later...

when add he second cd to the first one it says :

NTLDR is missing

presss CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

what am i doing wrong?

EDIT: i finally got it to work but then at 90%(where it copies the setup files,(the blue dos screen), it gave me an error saying that it couldnt copy a file, but i didnt tweak it at all. All i did was add the 2nd cd to the first one then edited txtsetup then added winnt.sif thats it. why did i get this error?

Edited by hakeem5454

• 2 weeks later...
if you have two cds then its windows media center 2005 not 2004. you can add the second cd to the first cd by editing the txtsetup.sif file removing the enterys that say %cd2name% chnage to %cdname% then copy the files and folders to the root directory of the windows cd and it will not ask for the second cd anymore.

:thumbup Oddly enough my two CD setup doesn't seem to need that... But if it turns out to in the future, isn't it also needed to change %cd2tagfilei%?