Task Manager That Hooks Ctrl-alt-del

Tihiy

yea Niresoft's W9xME Task Manager app was ok but as Tihiy said it was coded in Visual Basic and requires some VB runtime files in order for Task Manager to work. It does have a few bugs but it did work fine on my WinME system.

The niresoft.com web site (the author who created Task Manager) is history as it expired in mid-Feb. 2005. Good thing I downloaded the Task Manager tool back in late November of 2004 as it was working back then.

Still, I prefer Coolkill (recommended by MDGx) to close or 'kill' some unnecessary programs that load at startup.

Hi, after testing this, I have to reccomend against it. When you start getting big problems, it acts less robustly than normal. It doesn't bring up BSOD 'waiting for task manager' nor can force shutdown by stabbing ctrl+alt+del twice (repetedly). Shame :(

Hi, after testing this, I have to reccomend against it. When you start getting big problems, it acts less robustly than normal. It doesn't bring up BSOD 'waiting for task manager' nor can force shutdown by stabbing ctrl+alt+del twice (repetedly). Shame  :(

You are absolutely right - that's why i'm not developing it. There can be no compromise now.

Hi, after testing this, I have to reccomend against it. When you start getting big problems, it acts less robustly than normal. It doesn't bring up BSOD 'waiting for task manager' nor can force shutdown by stabbing ctrl+alt+del twice (repetedly). Shame  :(

You are absolutely right - that's why i'm not developing it. There can be no compromise now.

Bummer. well you guys can try out the Coolkill tool MDGx suggested to me a few months ago. found it here:

http://www.prowebsitemanagement.com/cooltools/coolkill.html

I use this tool to close some unnecessary apps.

• 2 years later...
http://rapidshare.de/files/881543/TASKMGR.zip.html (15KB!!!)

Finally i've translated (it took me whole 5 min) my simple "Task Manager".

The main benefit is that it replaces standard ctrl-alt-del taskmanager and can help even when all your programs dead.

Install: extract into \system directory. Add "device=taskmgr.vxd" to [386Enh] section of system.ini. Reboot. (Uninstall: delete files. Remove line.)

You can replace Taskmgr.exe with another good task/process manager. Just put it in your %PATH%.

If you know good task/process manager, please tell me.

The file on Rapidshare is deleted can you upload the file again ???

Edited by MadSheep

• 3 months later...

eh, ditch those obsolete Task Manager tools and get AnVir's Task Manager Free tool here:

http://www.anvir.com/taskmanagerfree/

AnVir's Task Manager programs can display info just like the built-in Task Manager program in WinNT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista AND Task Manager Free works under Windows 98 & ME.

See these screenshots of AnVir Task Manager Free:

http://www.anvir.com/taskmanagerfree/screenshots.htm

Edited by erpdude8

eh, ditch those obsolete Task Manager tools and get AnVir's Task Manager Free tool...

[

Ha! What an awesome tool!

Thanks erpdude8. :hello:

And it works nicely in Windows 9x.

based upon your comments, AnVir Task Manager Free is now in Auto-Patcher.

:whistle: PLEASE take time to set up task manager the way Y O U wish the program to control your machine as it bites H A R D ! ! !, when it does not work as intended... :hello: I RECOMMEND IT OVER OTHER TASK MANAGERS ... :angry: YET......IT'S A SYSTEM TO SYSTEM CHOICE....DELETE CAN BE A PAIN AS FILES ARE EVERYWHERE(EVEN HIDDEN) :rolleyes: THANK YOU,thydreamwalker :thumbup <http://www.anvir.com/taskmanagerfree/>

I also like this program ... AnVir Task Manager Free ... and checked it out. I did notice through Memload that it does consume a lot of system resources ... it provides a lot of information but I decided to uninstall it and continue using an older version of Win Patrol (v7.0.1.0) that does a lot of what AnVir Task Manager Free does, but with a lot less resources.

When I ran AnVir Task Manager Free my memory usage was 2.3 M compared to only 296 K with that version of WinPatrol. I'm not exactly sure of that 2.3 M figure for AnVir Task Manager Free ... it was over the 2.0 M mark according to Memload and I'm thinking it was near the 2.3 M or 2.4 M figure. Perhaps someone else can check this out to confirm. ... now I want to add ... this is not a complaint of any kind ... I like the program and will keep it handy to install if I need more info about something in particular ... but as an earlier post said ... it seems to be everywhere and you have to hunt some things down after uninstalling ... but it may be everywhere only because it does monitor and check so many things ... but for me the 7.0.1.0 version of WinPatrol does almost the same thing in keeping an eye on everything with less resources. That version seems to work best with Windows 98SE ... for me anyway .... the newer version seems to work OK but the resources used go up a little ... and the newer version doesn't seem to offer anything much better ... just my 2 cents on AnVir Task Manager Free. .... but if you need to have extra information on something, it does seem to provide that ... definitely something nice to have around unless the resources used are of no concern.

duffy98

I'd say go for Process Explorer by Sysinternals.

Process Explorer works on Windows 9x/Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Server 2003, and 64-bit versions of Windows for x64 and IA64 processors, and Windows Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

It also has an easy to use option to replace the Task Manager. :P

.... from the last post about Process Explorer by Sysinternals. I also have that on my machine ... went to the site and downloaded a newer version. It's a good program. Now as to my earlier post #26 ... I have gone to the WinPatrol site and downloaded the latest version ... there is a "free" version and a "plus" version. I decided to try the newer version again, it has had a few updates since I last downloaded it. It is a good, simple program with little "Scotty" always on patrol.

1st link ... http://www.winpatrol.com/upgrade.html ....

2nd link ... http://www.winpatrol.com/ ....

... I just reposted to be more specific about the latest version and in case some readers out there had never heard of this neat little program. ... I still have Process Explorer by Sysinternals on my machine also ... Memload also works for Win 98 ... there are downloads still out there.

duffy98

Hmmm, how usefull?

If I press CTRL+ALT+DEL the taskmanager comes on screen en when the system locks up, it will reboot. In Vista I get a blue screen with options (no BSOD).

The on-screen keyboard could even catch any taskmanager.

What do you properly mean? When the mousecursos freezes, mostly the whole system is freezed, no taskmanager could help. No mouse=no windows for the common?

I'd rather rely on the kernel protection and DEP. I've never had an issue where taskmanager couldn't be started or as above, the system reboots utterly.

It is Microsoft and Vista may be reasonally good, but it could crash at this very second. If I've a crash I just reboot the system and this tooks 30 seconds in total.

The screenshot doen't work anymore because it cames out of 2005.

What is your advantage above the default taskmanager? Do you trap an interrupt by these method?

*I hate imageshack, XS.TO has no banners.

Than Winpatrol. Should I need this to survive? Sorry for my remarks, but rather edit some registry keys to hook up the taskmanager??

TIP: Apply taskmngr.exe at the startup group :)

Edited by Extravert

• 15 years later...