Increase Volume Higher Than Max?

durex

Ive noticed some of my movies are still a bit quiet even when I have the system volume and wav volume maxed out. Is there any utility out there that can 'boost' the volume even higher without creating the need to physically changing the actual file itself?

Thanks!

I do this way and it works pretty good..first of all you gotta have WMP. Then, open up the equalizer (i'm not sure it's called this way but it should be a big board with a lot of switches) inside WMP and tune up all settings to the max. The sound quality won't be the worlds greatest but, you should definitely hear a boost in the volume.

hmm this is a crappy suggestion but it's what I do. I bought a Y cable from radio shack. It converts stereo headphone jack input to RCA (left/right audio) and I plug it into my tape deck. I keep my tape deck on record and pause. I can use the record level dial on the tape deck to adjust volume as well as my main stereo volume and from my EQ.

The basics are Y cable to stereo. This will greatly improve sound quality. Your computer is an amplifier. I don't get sound without my stereo on.

This happens most often with AC3 audio streams, which may have an item in CP to adjust.

If your media player has an equalizer, just software amplify the volume with that. WinAMP & WMP both do. Sound can often be adjusted or mixed through your sound card's software/drivers. Speaker sets also frequently have their own volume adjustment.

You might try VirtualDub + Audacity for a quick, free, and relatively simple solution to permenantly amplifying the audio track if you will be playing the file/DVD more than just the once.

My way is good to for making tapes. The original reason I used that setup. The volume levels are different in most music, a record meter will let you gague the music levels so do avoid the distortion I get with using a software based AMP to make things louder.

I try to keep the volume setting constant within a recording as a whole, so that the volume shifts inherant in the recording are preserved. If you copy tapes to digital alot and need to amplify, you might consider getting even a cheap hardware amp, as there's only so much you can do on a sofware level without problems.

He asked for a way without changing the file properties. How long does it take to do what you are talking about? My way isn't the best but it only take half a second to turn up the volume... A slower computer processing a DVD might take days to redo.