Knoppix Live Cd 3.8

kwpro

Hi guys

Iv downloaded Knoppix Live CD 3.8 and have been using it for the last five hours, it is brilliant. It lets you access all your windows partions, burns cd plus much more.

It is excellent for recovery/back up purposes for both Windows and Linux users, i highly recommend it.

# KDE V3.x as the standard desktop, with KOffice and the Konqueror WWW browser.

# X Multimedia System (xmms) with MPEG video and MP3 support as well as the Ogg Vorbis Audio Player

# Internet-access software kppp and isdn-utilities

# Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) Version 2.0

# Tools for data rescue and system repair

# Network analysis and administration tools

# OpenOffice 1.1.x, the GPL'd version of the well-known StarOffice office suite

# Many programming languages, development tools, as well as libraries for software developers.

# Altogether, over 900 installed software packages, comprising over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games.

Don't know if im allowed to do this but i will add the torrent file for people to download this wonderful piece of software.

This installs the german version by default but to install English version type the following.

knoppix lang=us

Another thing is that the default keyboard layout is German (i think) so type the following.

knoppix lang "Shift+0" us

Change the file extention of the file from .txt to .torrent

kenny

well i'm a fan of knoppix but it doesn't let you delete/change files from a ntfs partition.

Slashdot says that it can read/write to ntfs but i havnt tested it, i will check and get back to u.

also till 3.7 there wasn't support for my sata drive
I dont have Sata drives but reports on the net suggest that knoppix 3.8 supports sata drives.
there wasn't support for my audigy2 card

Knoppix has the latest version of ALSA (The Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) so it is a possibility that it could work. It also includeds UnionFS which lets u update knoppix with new drivers and programs.

It cant hurt to download and give it a try.

I like this version mainly because i can now browse the net with it and safe configuration files to my fat32 disk.

kenny

please be aware that Knoppix is not the only "Live CD".

ALSO NTFS write support is or was considered experimental, Im not sure how that is standing right now.

LinuxDefender is a Knoppix remaster, which includes the free Linux Bitdefender antivirus and has Full NTFS write support

you can find this distro as well as others here:

The LiveCD List:

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

[edit]

I saw a link on /. (slashdot) before for a Knoppix that could run in Windows.

WinKnoppix

Edited by DigeratiPrime

please be aware that Knoppix is not the only "Live CD".
But it is the best as your list proves.
Well, I've been using Knoppix LiveCD from V3.2

I been using that version too and it has saved my life many a time but i couldn't get read/write access working for any of my liux/fat32 drives easily but this version (3.8) is simple its just right click and select write acces.

That project has come over leaps and bounds, i remember looking at that a while ago and it looked like plain old windows98 (which isnt a bad thing), but it looks gorgeous now.

As for the NTFS write support is it really needed, yes it would be usefull i admit but i just like the fact that i can access all my drives back up my files on both my windows partitions and linux ones and also recover my linux box easily when i screw it up.

As i said before i spent 5 hours using this Live Cd listening to mp3s, browsing the web, watching videos, Yahoo/MSN messenger without the need for switching to windows and anything that i couldn't do i could update/install programs to do the job thanks to UnionFS support. I am seriously considering replacing my Ubuntu box with Knoppix 3.8.

but i think i'm going to stick to my bartpe build that has all the features i missed on knoppix

I tried to get bartpe build working but i couldn't for some reason, also i doubt it would reconise my Linux partitions. I also wondered about hardware compatibility could i use bartpe build on a wide range of old and new hardware or is it only for use on the machine that it was built for.

kenny

I tried to get bartpe build working but i couldn't for some reason, also i doubt it would reconise my Linux partitions.  I also wondered about hardware compatibility could i use bartpe build on a wide range of old and new hardware or is it only for use on the machine that it was built for.

kenny

well is not that difficult :P

about linux partitions, well i use ext2/3 explorer that let me access those filesystems from PE.

hardware compatibility is mostly the same as sp2 offers as i built my version over it. barpe is for every machine old or new if hardware is detected and drivers installed. i own 2 machines with really different hardware (ibm p3 667 mhz and the one you can read specs at my signature) and i haven't had problems running PE on both systems.

As i said before i spent 5 hours using this Live Cd listening to mp3s, browsing the web, watching videos, Yahoo/MSN messenger without the need for switching to windows and anything that i couldn't do i could update/install programs to do the job thanks to UnionFS support.

i can do exactly that plus explorer and windows' compatibility. i also have my custom icons for filetypes and i can play ANY media file including quicktime, real, xvid, ogm... http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=41436 ;)

well is not that difficult  :P
Are you implying that im stupid or something :o:D . Seriously though i can build bartpe but cant be bothered adding all the plugings and stuff.
about linux partitions, well i use ext2/3 explorer that let me access those filesystems from PE.

I dont use the ext2/ext3 filesystem i use reiserfs, and you cant have write access to them with bartpe

i can do exactly that plus explorer and windows' compatibility. i also have my custom icons for filetypes and i can play ANY media file including quicktime, real, xvid, ogm

I learn something new everyday, but can you update all the programs and windows updates in bartpe from within the CD itself. Dont think you can.

My hate for windows is greater than my love for linux which is a really strong love btw :D

Peace, love and understanding

i didn't wanted to mean you were stupid, i just said is not that difficult :P:D

about reiserfs, well i found this http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ar...2004/10/4/20241 link interesting googl'ing so yes, it can be done.

well i can't update the cd contents from within the CD itself, but think in the amount of benefits you obtain using the windows xp system. you can even play quake or any other game that doesn't need to be "propperly installed" :)

don't misunderstand me, i think knoppix is great, been using it since 2.x versions but i'm very proud of the capabilities of my PE system and i don't need much more than what i described before.

about your windows-linux thing, well i think this is not the correct forum to discuss it (j/k :P)

You Say Tomato And I Say…Tomahto well its the other way round but anyways

Your happy with what you use and im happy with what I use lets leave it it that. :D:thumbup

I am just an informer trying to inform people about this new information.

I am just an informer trying to inform people about this new information.

And a pretty good info IMO.

Was using the older 3.7 and loved the fact that I could try out the features of Linux without acrually having to install it on the HDD. Will be giving this one a go, just to check out the new features.

I'm keen to try out the PUPPY live cd that has just been released. I don't know much about it, although from what I've heard it's the first Linux Live CD that is used from a multi session CD, meaning that any settings you do tweak while playing with it, can actually be saved back to the CD you were using Linux from in the first place :)