Well, the only CD/DVD-switching utility (I found) on this board didn't seem to do what I needed, so I made myself a new one. I've put it online if anyone else wants to give it a go. By now it's way more advanced than any other CD-tool out there.
Compatible with: batchfiles, RunOnceEx, XPlode, ... all install methods I guess.
Can be run at: T-12 (cmdlines.txt), RunOnceEx, GuiRunOnce (haven't tested any others, maybe I'll do that soon)
Works with both CD, DVD and probably the future optical media like BluRay 'n stuff.
I'm going to divide the features in three modes, to keep it understandable:
Normal Mode (with a GUI and all features)
- Pops up a box asking for a disc with a certain label. It won't go away until that disc is entered in the drive you specified. When a wrong or no disc is inserted, that drive ejects again. The only thing you have to do is insert the disc, nothing more (no clicking OK or pressing ENTER).
- Detect the drive you want to use by specifying drive letter, drive number (first drive, second drive, ...) or by detecting the drive with a certain disc in it (by file or label).
- Supress AutoRun / AutoPlay so nothing pops up when a new disc is inserted
- Play a sound to notify you
- Launch an application or file after the correct disc is inserted (like a new batchfile/RunOnceEx/...) and eventually wait hidden until that application is closed again (handy for one-application-discs).
- Customizable: your own image (JPG/GIF/BMP), set transparency, change the label (font face/colour/size/weight/location/italic/underline/strikethrough) or hide it.
- Exit anytime by hitting ESC.
- Eject or close all drives or one drive
- Detect the drive you want to use by specifying drive letter, drive number (first drive, second drive, ...) or by detecting the drive with a certain disc in it (by label or file).
[*] Create or delete variables from all drives (%CD1%, %CD2%, ...).
[*] Detect the drive you want to write to a variable by specifying drive letter, drive number (first drive, second drive, ...) or by detecting the drive with a certain disc in it (by label or file). (%CDDRIVE%)
This is the stuff you see when you don't customize anything:
Same window, but with some transparency, borderless, and showing off some label-changes you can apply. You can make it more pretty of course:
Basic usage is pretty simple:
cdswitch LABEL D:
This will launch cdswitch, ejecting drive D: and searching for the disc with the label "LABEL".
If you want to use more parameters, they are all explained in the help-file.
As the number of features grows, I decided it was a bit hard to explain them all (I did tho), so I created another app to simplify all of it:
First, pick your mode on the top left (all explained in the beginning of this post), then check/fill in what you want or need and press "Generate and copy". The parameters itself are displayed in the textbox,but you can also paste a full batchfile/RunOnceEx/XPlode-entry in your script after clicking the button. If you want some explanation about a certain item, just rest your mouse on it. All of them have a tooltip.
Updating from previous versions
- The parameter "/w" has been renamed to "/rw".
- There's a new default image, if you don't like it, just put the contents of this archive in the same folder as CDswitch. It'll restore the old image.
- Variables Mode has been rewritten, all parameters have changed!
CDswitch 0.8.4 (169k) -- the actual program
CDswitch parameter generator 0.1 (161k) -- to generate parameters on an easy way
CDswitch Help 16/07/2005 (213k) -- the help-file
Retro image (23k) -- the old CDswitch-look (from versions 0.4 to 0.7)
New since previous release
- General improvements and bugfixes.
- Rewritten Variables Mode fully and Silent Mode a bit.
- New default image.
- Detect the drive you want to use with "/f:VALUE". VALUE being a file.
- "/b" parameter to hide the border
- "/l" parameter to override displayed text
- "/s" parameter to display a sound
- ErrorLevel is now set on how CDswitch exits
- More lay-out settings for labels (underline/italic/strike)
- Added .INI-support (more to come in 0.9)
- Added *DRIVE*-variable to refer to inserted disc (in 0.8.2)
- No longer does the drive eject when it shouldn't (in 0.8.2)
- Use "/wl" and "/wt" to move the location of the window itself (in 0.8.4)
The full changelog is attached to this post.
Note on future releases
0.9 will be focused on working with multiple drives. Bear with me, as it takes some time to implement, and it's vacation.
1.0 will see a rewrite of the helpfile, complete with examples and how-to's.
Other features, improvements and fixes will be implemented down the road.
Report your feedback please. Thanks for trying it out ^^
Edited by Nanaki, 08 September 2008 - 12:16 PM.