Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

A New Cd-switching Utility

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
216 replies to this topic

DryKillLogic

DryKillLogic

• 34 posts
  • Joined 18-February 06
Thanks nanaki. I created a super batch included wpi script and works everything ok.

See ya!!!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

akha666

akha666

• 17 posts
  • Joined 18-September 06
Thanks for ur effort
I'm using the ur command with WPI and working perfect
but I need help for two method
1- I got error in Cd Switch Log file using parameter /p:WPI.jpg
Parameter "/p" detected. Used to specify a custom image file.
ERROR: Supplied file "WPI.jpg" not found! Please check your parameters.
where can I put my Custom pic ???????
2- I need to install more than One Programs from additional CD , and by the three command above make WPI asking for other cd in each program installing
is there any help
thanks again

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05
1 - Is WPI.jpg in the same folder as CDswitch.exe?
2 - I'm not sure what you're asking here. You can save a separate batch file or whatever per cd.
CDswitch - Making CD/DVD-switching fun. / VMcleaner - Cleaning your virtual memory by killing unnecessary tasks
WinampUser - Silently install multiuser functionality for Winamp / OfficeExec - Installing Office at T-12/cmdlines.txt
Dropper - Changing file properties by drag-'n-dropping (not for unattended use)

akha666

akha666

• 17 posts
  • Joined 18-September 06

1 - Is WPI.jpg in the same folder as CDswitch.exe?
2 - I'm not sure what you're asking here. You can save a separate batch file or whatever per cd.

First : Yes the WPI.jpg on the same CDswitch Directory or folder as u asked
Second : sorry for that . I Mean this command
COMMAND 1: CDSWITCH OFF2003 %CDROM% /d /p:WPI.jpg /lc:FFFFFF /ls:12 /lf:"Times New Roman" /lw:400 /ll:49 /lt:13
COMMAND 2: %CDROM%\office\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install\Unattended.MST /qb-
COMMAND 3: CDSWITCH VRMPVOL_EN %CDROM% /d /p:WPI.jpg /lc:FFFFFF /ls:12 /lf:"Times New Roman" /lw:400 /ll:49 /lt:13
and I need to make other CD with Office and some Programs
but if I use the Command above it will ask for the each Programs Install
is there any help for that ????????

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05
1. Make sure cdswitch.exe and WPI.jpg are on the hard drive, not on a CD.
If so, try placing the attachment (cdswitch.ini) in the same folder as cdswitch.exe and removing "/p:WPI.jpg" from your parameters.
If that doesn't work, try resaving WPI.jpg as a bitmap (WPI.bmp) and see if that works.

If all that doesn't work or you don't want to do those, just send me the picture you're trying to display.

2. So after inserting a new disc, WPI asks what programs to install? It might be better to ask for help on the WPI-forum for this one, since I never used WPI before. Sorry. :/

Attached Files

CDswitch - Making CD/DVD-switching fun. / VMcleaner - Cleaning your virtual memory by killing unnecessary tasks
WinampUser - Silently install multiuser functionality for Winamp / OfficeExec - Installing Office at T-12/cmdlines.txt

akha666

akha666

• 17 posts
  • Joined 18-September 06
thanks
but I have one more Q
how can I use CDSwitch in Runonce
I've got Idea is to make cdswitch run after windows installation is completed and ask for second cd contain WPI with autorun
what is the command to enter in nLite RunOnce ????????
many thanks for help

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05
This post should give you a reasonable explanation. Worked for the other guy. :P

sadam

sadam
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 14-May 07
:hello:
I execute CDSwitch early in a RunOnceEx install. I prepare multiCD install and whole RunOnceEx takes data from the next CD.
And CDSWICH is in the first called subkey :) :

cmdow @ /HID 
@Echo Off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:win51ip.SP2 SET CDROM=%%i:
SET KEY=HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing applications ..." /f
REG ADD %KEY% /V FLAGS /D "dword:0x00000020" /f

REG ADD %KEY /VE /D "Change the CD" /f
REG ADD %KEY /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%CDSWITCH.EXE XP_AddOns %CDROM% /p:%SYSTEMDRIVE%CDSWITCHBACK.BMP /lh" /f

But versions .84 and .86 doesn't shows the picture :} . An empty rectangle is shown. Filled with color like buttonface.

Seems that version .85b shows the picture properly :wacko: .

Regards

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05
Yep, a known issue. Windows is incorrectly painting CDswitch on screen, due to it being loaded all early and stuff. CDswitch 0.8.5b contains a fix for this (I really should consolidate the versions, maybe some time later), but I haven't incorporated this change into later versions yet, because it makes CDswitch "blink". I'll probably add a parameter "--repaint" or something like that soon.

sadam

sadam
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 14-May 07
:hello:

Yep, a known issue. [...]

What method are You using to show the picture? And, which is much more interesting for me, why? Means "what is Your experience with that?".

At stage when I don't know about the existence of version 0.8.5.b (I was thinking that Your excelent help is enough for me and I didn't read this hread - me culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa :)), I wrote (in Borland Delphi) simple (foolish?) application to show an bitmap. It shows an bitmap from file, which name is passed in the first parameter of command line, calls external application (from the second parameter) passing to them the rest of parameters and waits to the end of the execution of the called application. I was using that so:

REG ADD %KEY /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\SHOWBMP.EXE %SYSTEMDRIVE%\MYBMP.BMP %SYSTEMDRIVE%\CDSWITCH.EXE XP_AddOns %CDROM% /p:%SYSTEMDRIVE%\CDSWITCHBACK.BMP /b /lh /k" /f

where CDSWITCHBACK.BMP was small bitmap (1 pixel in size).

It was artifical (but working for me) solution.

But You are using other method then me. What method and why?

Regards

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05
CDSwitch 0.85b can be found here and it works a charm.

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05
I'm not sure how to fix the bug (since I can't even reproduce it).
I do know the bug that's causing the flickering in 0.8.5, but it would take more time to fix that one than to rewrite the whole thing (which I should one day do). :)

Like all things... if only I had more time.

CDSwitch 0.85b can be found here and it works a charm.

And, hopefully, soon on the first page. :)

Edited by Nanaki, 01 June 2007 - 12:06 PM.

Lqdwax

Lqdwax

• 36 posts
  • Joined 25-January 07
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone is using the disc spanning tool "cdswitch" because i have a couple of questions on setup. I would just like to know the easiest way of integrating it into "wpi". I have been searching the forums and I keep coming up with using cdswitch in different customized ways but none that just explain how to simply integrate it with WPI. I have tried batch files, preinstalling, running commands from the wpi commandline, and more. all i want to
do is my usual wpi install(around 5gig) but i want it spanned over CD-Roms(i have a bunch of laptops that dont have dvd-rom drives that i need to wipe). thats it, no fancy pics or font size or antyhing. as u can see i am frustrated so pardon the sarcasm. as always any/all help is greatly appreciated. THANKS

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone is using the disc spanning tool "cdswitch" because i have a couple of questions on setup. I would just like to know the easiest way of integrating it into "wpi". I have been searching the forums and I keep coming up with using cdswitch in different customized ways but none that just explain how to simply integrate it with WPI. I have tried batch files, preinstalling, running commands from the wpi commandline, and more. all i want to
do is my usual wpi install(around 5gig) but i want it spanned over CD-Roms(i have a bunch of laptops that dont have dvd-rom drives that i need to wipe). thats it, no fancy pics or font size or antyhing. as u can see i am frustrated so pardon the sarcasm. as always any/all help is greatly appreciated. THANKS

I've kinda of forgotten the usage of my own program (loss of time and such) but I'll try and help you. Also note I've never used WPI.

Here are some points:
- If you use one "global" WPI (read: not one WPI per disc) it's probably better to copy WPI to the hard drive and then running it (via the $OEM$-folders or something, you probably know more about this than me).

- If I derive from this post correctly, you can assign different "commands" to an installer in WPI. You can simply make "cdswitch" the first command to precede every installer:
command 1: cdswitch OFFICE2003 %CDROM%
command 2: %CDROM%\office\setup.exe
Note 1: the %CDROM%-variable is a WPI-variable, see other topics for this.
Note 2: cdswitch should normally detect if the correct disc is already inserted, and then close itself automatically, so you shouldn't worry about spawning an unnecessary cdswitch-window before every install.

- So, in short, here's an example setup:
Disc 1:
  • Label: "DISC_ONE"
  • Contains main Windows-stuff and WPI and maybe some applications.
  • CDswitch should be launched with command:
    cdswitch "DISC_ONE" %CDROM%
  • WPI-installer entry example:
    command 1: cdswitch "DISC_ONE" %CDROM%
    command 2: %CDROM%\installers\setup.exe

Disc 2:
  • Label: "DISC_TWO"
  • Contains main Windows-stuff and WPI and maybe some applications.
  • CDswitch should be launched with command:
    cdswitch "DISC_TWO" %CDROM%
  • WPI-installer entry example:
    command 1: cdswitch "DISC_TWO" %CDROM%
    command 2: %CDROM%\installers\another_setup.exe

I never tested the above, but in theory it should work. You should know more of WPI than I do to make something of the above.

hessam

hessam

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 15-December 07
Thanks Nanaki

Buttercup

Buttercup

• 18 posts
  • Joined 05-May 06
Very interesting thanks for the hard work and for sharing it with us

Buttercup