Can Nlite Be Used To Modify Winpe (indirectly)

szwicker

I know that if you attempt to use Nuhi Winlite to modify the WinPE install files directly, it will tell you to take a hike...BUT what if we were to use Winlite to modify the XP files adding drivers etc. Then I could recompile WinPE using those updated XP files, etc.

Worth an effort?

I remove practically anything using NLite (File->Load Settings->Lite->Remove Components) and I remove a lot of languages.

After that folder with WinXp installatoin is about 136 MB.

Then I use PeBuilder to create WinPe (There are a lot of errors during this process but it is all right. I have ~430 errors). After that size of WinPe is about 120 MB.

And all works.

two things...

1: if you do something, and it throws hundreds of errors, it doesn't really work.

2: if by scalping the XP source, you wind up with a WinPE install of 120 MB, it doesn't really work - as any level of careful file exclusion (using the supported method of removing files from WinPE) can get you a WinPE that is error free at build time, and smaller than 120MB.

Happy birthday.
Thanks, MHz :)
if you do something, and it throws hundreds of errors, it doesn't really work.

This errors only about missing files.

if by scalping the XP source, you wind up with a WinPE install of 120 MB, it doesn't really work
It works, because if I install WinXp from this source it will be work fine (I tested it), so WinPe should work as fine as WinXp from this reduced installaton.
using the supported method of removing files from WinPE

What is this method?

My point was more that you aren't really removing much from WinPE (if you're only down to 120)... As WinPE can be carefully scaled down using the documentation included with it to get below 120, that's the supported way to remove files.