Problems With Some Installers

tiwas

Hi there!

This board has been a tremendous resource for me this, and last, time I made an unattended CD. However, I'm having problems installing a few apps. Any help on the following would be greatly appreciated!

They're all done through WPI, but I hardly think that should matter.

1. Microsoft Office 2003: The interesting thing about this installation, which I did following MSFN's guide, works perfectly when run from WPI after the computer is installed, but not at T-13 (or was it 12?). It starts up, works for a while, and then nothing is done.

2. IsoBuster: This installation works fine, but it doesn't seem to import the registry file (it's entered in there correctly). Strange thing here is that it's not reg'd when I start it after the automatic install, but if I double click the reg it works like a charm.

3. Waresoft XPsmoker: This setup starts just fine, but I cannot kill the nag window after the installation is completed. My last attempt was with a batch file. It starts the install, but doesn't kill the nag. My cmd is as follows:

start /wait %cdrom%\Install\XPsmoker\xpspro.exe /VERYSILENT

start /wait pskill xpsmoker.exe

4. Cacheman XP: almost the same problem as with #3. Readme.txt is opened in a notepad window (even though I cannot be sure if it's actually notepad during install). Tried the following, which works when the 'puter is done installing:

start /wait setup_scxpv2.2.61.Exe /S

start /wait pskill notepad.exe

5. Anyone know a good of installing ws_ftp pro 9 ?

Cheers!

1. It is a kwown fact that some MSI installers don't install the right way when T=13. I think that some installer functions aren't loaded yet. Just install it afterwards (with WPI)

2. Check out this post

3. There is a good reason why this won't work. With the start /wait command you tell cmd to wait untill the installer is finished. The pskill won't work because the installer wasn't ready at that moment. So the next line isn't used yet.

This will work:

start  %cdrom%\Install\XPsmoker\xpspro.exe /VERYSILENT
Sleep x
start /wait pskill xpsmoker.exe

(where X is the time in seconds that you need before you wan't to do your pskill) you need to download Sleep.exe and put it in your $$\system32 folder. You can download it here

5. check this post

Thanks for the quick reply!

1. Is there a way to tell WPI to install something on first logon?

2. Stramge thing is that I used to just import the reg on 1.6, but everybody seems to have problems with 1.7. Maybe the trick is to install a reg'd 1.6 first and then silently upgrade? Must try and update the isobuster thread if it works [add mental note]

3. Yeah, that's what I thought too. Originally I had it all in WPI and was expecting it to run the pskill as soon as the install completed - but I guess it never *will* complete until the window is killed seeing it doesn't kill the install process until this window is gone. Think I need to get a voodoo-doll and torment the people who made this app!

5. Yeah, I'd already checked this post and was generating my own iss. Seems it didn't put enough info in it, so I tried copying the source provided in the post.

Thanks for the help! I swear I tried to search first ;o)

1. You can tell you WPI to load on first logon

Just create a batch file, Example:

@ECHO OFF
rem The following line hides the command window ...
cmdow @ /HID

ECHO.
ECHO Calling WPI
ECHO.
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\WPI\WPI.HTA

exit

Then put this in your winnt.sif file:

[GUIRunOnce]
   "%systemdrive%\install\WPI.cmd"

3. Putting lines in WPI is the same as using the "Start /wait command" The next line will only be executed when the other line is finished.

I think that the method that I discribed works when you put all the lines in a batchfile, and run that batch from WPI.

I don't use pskill though, I use Taskill to end a program.

This is what I use to shut up MSN messenger:

taskkill /IM msnmsgr.exe /F

I use this for IsoBuster

REG ADD %KEY%\190 /VE /D "IsoBuster 1.7" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\190 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Apps\ISOBuster\IsoBuster.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\190 /V 2 /D "taskkill /f /im isobuster.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\190 /V 3 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\Apps\IsoBuster\SmartProjects.reg" /f