WinXP64 Retail to Corp

Has anyone tried reconfiguring the setupp.ini in \I386 of XP64 to change from retail-corp-oem. I know under the 32-bit flavor, changing the last three digits on the second line of the file to 270 will allow it to accept VLM keys, wasn't sure if the 64-bit flavor followed the same guidelines. Any thoughts on this?? And before anyone hints to it, I'm not trying to score a key. I already have my legit retail one. Just doing some legwork before I ask the boss to get us a 64-bit VLM key. Thanks in advance.

What retail product do you have? As far as I know it is NOT in the channel yet having just been released to manufacturing. Changing the key would be in direct voilation of the EULA.

READ THE ORIGINAL POST!!!

I mentioned nothing about changing the key. The key we have is from a Microsoft rep that we go through at my place of employment. The only thing I mentioned was modifying the setupp.ini file in \i386. Changing the last 3 digits allows the following:

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05

Pid=xxxxxxxx

xxxxx270 - Corporate/VLM

xxxxxoem - figure it out

xxxxx335 - retail

You can check out http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/windows_xp_tips.htm and look at the first post on the page. It spells it out clear as day. I know Micro$oft has a knack for changing things around, so this is why I am asking.

It's really not that hard a question. I realize that you seem to have major wood for busting the little newbies and script kiddies that want to brag about the warezed versions of server2k3sp1 x32 and x64 and winxpx64 that are out there in the newsgroups, but I'm just looking for a simple answer from the community at large their thoughts on this. And yes, I have tested the key from the .nfo files out in the usenet, and it does come back as a retail key, 30 day activation. Big supprise. Changing the Pid from what I have found on XP x32 is no more different than having an OEM, VLM, and Retail copy of the os in front of you. You just have to have the corresponding key variants to install them. The same Pid scheme holds true for 2k, only with the corp/vlm config, it does not even ask for a key. So, once again, any thoughts on this, or should we just close this thread all together????

Until Microsoft releases a corporate build of the 64 bit version of Windows XP, it is not possible to do what you are asking. As far as changing the pid value in the setupp.ini file like you are asking, it is in fact illegal (violates the EULA), and most likely that it will not work since the values for this different build could have changed. So yes this topic should be closed as you do not own a volume copy of the os, and since they give you the media if you buy it, it shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Oh and about you thoughts on this not being illegal, it is the product key (the number you get on the cd case) controls what is actually installed, the pid value simply decides what the installation will accept. So in order to have a volume copy of the os, you need a volume serial (which is not being offered by Mircrosoft at this time, and may not be at all).

Until Microsoft releases a corporate build of the 64 bit version of Windows XP, it is not possible to do what you are asking.  As far as changing the pid value in the setupp.ini file like you are asking, it is in fact illegal (violates the EULA), and most likely that it will not work since the values for this different build could have changed.  So yes this topic should be closed as you do not own a volume copy of the os, and since they give you the media if you buy it, it shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Oh and about you thoughts on this not being illegal, it is the product key (the number you get on the cd case) controls what is actually installed, the pid value simply decides what the installation will accept.  So in order to have a volume copy of the os, you need a volume serial (which is not being offered by Mircrosoft at this time, and may not be at all).

I really dont see how changing the pid constitutes a breach of the EULA. If there is definitive verbage to changing it, shoot me a link or something. If one has an MSDN subscription (which we do), and are able to download via said subscription all os flavors privy to that description, whats the difference in downloading 2k, 2k3, or xp retail, vlm, or oem images when the only thing that seperates the different versions happens to be the pid id in the setupp.ini. To me, thats almost like saying you cant modify the unattend/winnt.sif file even if you own licences for that version of OS you are installing. You will still need to have a (legit) product key to install them with. I am well aware of the need and legality of the product key, so that is a moot issue to me. The key we have allows 10 installations, so its just a matter of time if and when Micro$oft starts offering VLM keys. And since we do have VLM's for all of our x32 installations of 2k and XP, it would only make sense to do the same for XP x64. Of course, this is my opinion on the matter. Everyone that has replied here seems to be way too much on the legitimate bandwagon, and the assumption that I am looking for this info for nefarious intentions, which I understand the reasons why completely. But lets try to quit thinking and acting like Micro$oft for just one second and thing outside the box. If this were the status quo for everyones though processes, then I'd imagine that Bart Lagerweij would have just said to hell with BartPE without even looking into trying it out first.

From the EULA.txt

3. SCOPE OF LICENSE.  The software is licensed, not sold.  This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software.  Microsoft reserves all other rights.  Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. Rights to access the server software do not give you any rights to implement any of the software’s functionality, including communication protocols of the server software, in any other software or any device that accesses the server software. The software is engineered to allow you to use it in certain ways.  You must comply with these technical limitations.  For more information about them, see the software packaging.  You may not:

* work around the technical limitations in the software,

* reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation,

* make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation,

* publish the software for others to copy,

* rent, lease or lend it, or use it for commercial software hosting services.

From the EULA.txt
3. SCOPE OF LICENSE.  The software is licensed, not sold.  This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software.  Microsoft reserves all other rights.  Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. Rights to access the server software do not give you any rights to implement any of the software’s functionality, including communication protocols of the server software, in any other software or any device that accesses the server software. The software is engineered to allow you to use it in certain ways.  You must comply with these technical limitations.  For more information about them, see the software packaging.  You may not:

* work around the technical limitations in the software,

* reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation,

So, wouldn't this also apply to creating the slipstreamed cd's that just about everyone here has made at some point in time. After all, that could be considered as "reverse engineering" to some. If this were the case, I guess we couldn't talk about and discuss anything in the forums here, now could we. Editing the setupp.ini file as I stated before is no more different than one of us placing a winnt.sif file into I386 with all of its customized settings. You still need to have your product key that accompanies your copy of XP (be it retail, oem, or vlm in nature). Technically, changing the uxtheme.dll would be considered reverse engineering, as you are modifying it to do something that it is capable of doing, but does not by default of the way it was originally released. And how many forum posts are there that discuss this?? I've lost count myself. But to put this to an end, it turns out that modifying the setupp.ini in XP x64 does not work akin to 2k and xp. So, I guess I will have to wait until our VLM iso AND product key are available from our MSDN subscription. Thanks alot for the lack of keeping an open mind in regards to my question. Guess next time I'll make sure to ask one that is more on your level of comprehension.

* make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation,

* publish the software for others to copy,

* rent, lease or lend it, or use it for commercial software hosting services.

Thanks a lot for the lack of keeping an open mind in regards to my question.

Where does keeping an open mind offer justification for throwing the EULA out the window. You are not happy with the current limitations of your copy of XP x64. There is a huge difference between slip-streaming your OS and hacking a file that limits your use of a PID. A competent attorney would tear your "open mind " defense to shreds in open court.

Thanks a lot for the lack of keeping an open mind in regards to my question.

Where does keeping an open mind offer justification for throwing the EULA out the window. You are not happy with the current limitations of your copy of XP x64. There is a huge difference between slip-streaming your OS and hacking a file that limits your use of a PID. A competent attorney would tear your "open mind " defense to shreds in open court.

Ok, so tell me the difference between either having the actual original cd's of the retail, vlm, and oem cd's, downloading with an MSDN subscription those same cd's, or doing what I suggest when the only difference in all cases is the pid # on the cd's themselves?? This is of course taking into account that you do have legitimate product keys to install them with. And I apologize for assuming that you and everyone else that has posted on this thread is not openminded, but one tends to take offense when the first reply they read hints that they're looking to get the software for free.

Tweaking Windows to build it into a version of the product which you do not physically have is at best a EULA violation - regardless of whether you have the warmest of intentions.

You have been chastizing everyone on the board for their reactions, which are the right reactions to have if they are not keen on getting themselves (or you) across a legal line with Microsoft... Let it go.

Has anyone tried reconfiguring the setupp.ini in \I386 of XP64 to change from retail-corp-oem. I know under the 32-bit flavor, changing the last three digits on the second line of the file to 270 will allow it to accept VLM keys, wasn't sure if the 64-bit flavor followed the same guidelines. Any thoughts on this?? And before anyone hints to it, I'm not trying to score a key. I already have my legit retail one. Just doing some legwork before I ask the boss to get us a 64-bit VLM key. Thanks in advance.

Lets cut out all the "legitimacy" pretentions.

The fact:

Either I haven't tried it out yet, or I just plain have no idea.

Will have to see how it goes.....

I hope we find an answer to this, ButlerKevinD.

@Others

Please be easier on a tentative question! Its not warez!