Upgrade

zipp51

Well,I finnally got my upgrade.A little behind the times but well worth it.After flashing the bios on my KG-7 Raid board,I went with an XP 2100+ processor and a Volcano 9 cpu cooler.The deal was sweet for $107 including shipping.Everything went well,but had to remove the power supply to install the V9.I don't know why they call it the "Smart & Silent Volcano 9",it's quite noisy.The temps are a lot cooler than the Tbird 1.4GHZ processor,34c and holding steady compared with 41c to 49c.I kept the variable speed controller on and have tamed the rpm's back so I can hear when dinner is ready,or the phone ringing.

the volcano is noisy, all the models ive ever installed or seen have been, you should try a Globalwin FSP82 they are rated upto Athlon AP 2600+ and are very quiet, cost you about £15 (from me) or $18. A very nice cooler, quite big, but not heavy, the fans nice too you can see the motors internals as its transparent. Easy to clip on, and the clip has 3 holes for the CPU socket, so its pretty solidly fixed down.

post-5-1039123128_thumb.jpg

I just happen to have an Epox 8k7a mobo running a 1.4 Tbird and W2K,that will be my next project.That's a good price for the big fans FthrJack,thanks.I have a Globalwin cooling my Classic Athlon GFD system ,and it never occured to price that brand out.