Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

Now the simpler solutions have been exhausted, we must dig deeper. Please inform which is the maker and model of your motherboard, whether it has USB 2.0 support or just earlier USB, whether you have any USB 2.0 add-on card, which processor do you use, and how much memory does the board currently have.

OK, I'll write that things I understand and how I understand, so let me know if I'll forget or miss something.

MB is some clone of pcpartner C9300xx (ID when machine starts is 10/10/2003-440BX-ITE8671-2A69KV3IC-00). BIOS patcher v4.23 www.rom.by applied

I don't know how to set which USB protocol realized on MB, so give me right direction

No any USB add-on cards installed

Intel Celeron 800 MHz used

256 MB single-bank RAM used

That's quite enough info: you board is based in the classic Intel 440BX Northbrige, which uses a PIIX4E Southbridge, which provides USB 1.1 (and 1.0) support only. The newer pendrives you're having problems with must have bad USB 1.1 support or have dropped it altogether. Your problem is hardware, not software, and the simplest solution would be to add a PCI USB 2.0 card, preferably a 4-port one, based on VIA VT6212, which has great support for Win 9x. If that's not a viable solution, I suggest you trade your newer pendrive by your friend's older one, as an interim workaround. But USB 2.0 is so much faster that if you at all can get the add-on card, it would be much worthwhile. The PIIX4E maximum IDE mode is UltraDMA/33 (ATA-4), capable of 33.3 MB/s burst transfers, while USB 2.0 can attain up to 60 MB/s...

In fact, with USB 2.0, you'd probably have your external devices just as fast as the internal disks, if not faster! :)

I seem to remember that on some USB stick controllers it is possible with the manufacturer tool to:

enable USB 1.1 ONLY

enable USB 2.0 ONLY

enable BOTH protocols/speeds

It is very possible that newish sticks have been set infactory to "USB 2.0 ONLY"

:unsure:

jaclaz

Thank You guys very much for advise. The best solution for me is to exchange sticks with friends have working pendrives, I think. This computer is used for audio purposes almost only (digitizing mainly), so I don't really need any kind of speed up this device. At other hand, maximum stability when working with very resources-hungry exlusive IRQ audio card is needed, so I don't think any hardware adds is good idea. Maybe (or, closer to reality, surely) I'll lose some times while transferring files to the sticks, but digitazing without problems is more appropriate.

Thank You once more.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem with my digital photo camera Canon Powershot SX120IS. It is detected when I plug it in, the system searches for the driver but does not find the proper one. After installing of NUSB 3.3, it always found the usbstor.inf for all USB devices except for this camera. Any suggestions?

Edited by M()zart

• 2 weeks later...

Oh :(

Can I translate it myself?

I'm sure it's possible.

You may wish to contact Maximus-Decim, he is experienced in English + Russian patches, he can probably give you some pointers.

FYI:

You can also compare 2 files of same build but of different languages with a tool like:

- WinDiff [rather primitive] found on your Win98/98SE/ME install CD-ROM and on MS ftp server:

WINDIFF.EXE

GUTILS.DLL (required!)

WINDIFF.HLP

All 3 files above must reside inside the same folder.

- or WinMerge [better features] (free GPL).

to see the actual differences for different languages.

Then you can translate the text strings into the language of your choice [copy & paste from the file using a hex editor, or use Resource Hacker to save the text strings as separate files], and finally, you can replace those text strings into the file using Resource Hacker (freeware).

Make sure you update the version + language information in Resource Hacker so it will display the new language properly.

After finished with all changes, it is advised to re-check and re-build (if necessary) the file checksum (digital signature), using one if these tools [free(ware)].

That's it. ;-)

I know it's a lot of work, but it is probably the only way, for files that MS did not issue specific languages fixes for.

HTH

• 2 months later...

I've installed the SP and driver for 98FE. All seemed to go well with the install but the system doesn't show the Maxtor 3200 drive in my computer, all I get is the Unplug/Eject Hardware indicator in the system tray.

Any thoughts where to start looking for problems?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A Proposal/Suggestion for the Expansion of NUSB

Hello, maximus-decim! :hello:

My compliments on a great package for 98SE. :thumbup

I have a suggestion for a small "expansion" of NUSB, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on it.

As some of you may know from other threads I have been working for a while now on building myself a "slipstreamed" installation of Windows 98SE. Over the past few days I have been working with getting NUSB integrated into my installation and I have made a couple of discoveries that I believe are relevant.

Other threads relevant to this discussion:

Some of you may also be familiar with RetroOS's thread about getting a USB Composite Device working in 98SE with NUSB (and in his case 98SE2ME.) And with Tihiy's thread that originated the USB2.0 stack for 9x.

Do not install the USB20DRV package from this thread, it is listed here for reference in this situation only!

After I had successfully integrated NUSB into my slipstream, I browsed through these threads for any relevant information about any further USB-related updates that I might integrate. After reading RetroOS's thread, I decided to take a look at USBCCGP.SYS. RetroOS stated that the Windows ME version of this file did not work for him. He searched for a 98SE and a Win2K equivalent of this file, and they do not use this file. Windows XP does, however. He went on to get various XP versions of this file to work on his system.

In his case, 98SE2ME had copied the Windows ME version of USB.INF to his system, renamed to USBME.INF. This Windows ME .INF file calls for USBCCGP.SYS, and the combination of the Windows ME .INF and the Windows XP USBCCGP.SYS allowed him to get his device working.

dencorso suggested in that thread that it might be possible to "merge" the 98SE and ME USB.INF's into a single file. In my case(for slipstreaming purposes), I needed to do this, so I did so. Now my custom USB.INF would call for and properly install USBCCGP.SYS.

The next step was to examine the various versions of USBCCGP.SYS available. Keeping in mind that:

1.) the ME version did NOT work for RetroOS

2.) rloew had also informed me that he had trouble with the ME version of this file

I tested the following versions on my 98SE system with the WDMCHECK utility:

Windows ME (4.90.3000.1)

XP RTM (5.1.2600.0)

XP SP3 (5.1.2600.5512)

XP KB945436 (5.1.2600.5585)

ALL versions of USBCCGP.SYS have missing functions on Windows 98SE. BUT - they are missing DIFFERENT functions.

The Windows ME version is missing the following functions:

IoFreeWorkItem

IoAllocateWorkItem

The Windows XP versions are missing the following functions:

USBD_ParseConfigurationDescriptorEx

USBD_CreateConfigurationRequestEx

Now, the missing functions of the Windows ME version MAY POSSIBLY be corrected by adding WDMSTUB.SYS that was previously a part of this package in an earlier version. However, the Windows ME version is documented to have problems.

Here's where it gets interesting. The missing functions of the Windows XP USBCCGP.SYS can be solved by using the Windows ME version of USBD.SYS instead of the 98SE version. In RetroOS's case, as he had installed 98SE2ME, he had the ME USB.INF and the required ME USBD.SYS, so it worked.

So here's the proposal. I feel that it would be a good idea to add the Windows ME USB 1.1 Driver Stack to NUSB along with the XP USBCCGP.SYS to expand its capabilities. It would involve adding the following files:

ME RTM:

OPENHCI.SYS 4.90.3000.1

UHCD.SYS 4.90.3000.1

USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.1

ME Q278289:

USBHUB.SYS 4.90.3002.1

XP KB945436:

USBCCGP.SYS 5.1.2600.5585

And a "merged" USB.INF file combining the contents of 98SE's USB.INF and ME's USB.INF.

I have attached a copy of the one I made in case anyone wants to examine it.

If you plan to test this you must remove ALL USB devices from the Device Manager FIRST!

NOTE that to add it to a package it will need the "LayoutFile=" line removed and sections added for [sourceDisksNames] and [sourceDisksFiles] like USB2.INF in NUSB has.

I believe that this addition would provide the best USB 1.1 and 2.0 support available for 98SE.

I have tested installing these files in a VM, and everything goes smoothly, and WDMCHECK on that install reports no missing functions with any of those files. But I do not have a large selection of USB devices to test it more thoroughly.

I welcome any comments or questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can.

USBINF.ZIP

Edited by LoneCrusader