Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

A Proposal/Suggestion for the Expansion of NUSB

Hi, Maximus-Decim!

This post is just to say I support LoneCrusader's proposal. I do think that, with the current widespreading of USB Mouse/Keyboard combos, USBCCGP.SYS is a needed addition to NUSB, and the USB Printer support is equally welcome.

Not yet. This needs further testing.

Today I made a second attempt at installing the USB 2.0 stack together with all other system files recommended in post #628. Upon reboot(s), the USB Root Hub entries for the on-board USB 1.1 failed to load the drivers (NTKERN.VXD could not load the drivers for this device). Tried reinstalling drivers, removing and rebooting, etc. to no avail.

Upon uninstalling USB 2.0 stack and restoring system files from backup, the machine locked up. Tried a couple reboots - same result. Safe mode did work but wouldn't fix anything, so after a few failed boots I had to restore the registry from the most recent valid backup, at which point the machine got back to a working state.

This 98SE installation is 5 years old and lived through countless alpha tests, crashes and other mishappenings but only once or twice was I forced to actually restore the registry to get it back afloat, so I'd say there might be something fishy with this package, since it breaks the 1.1 controller and then corrupts the registry upon uninstallation. Or am I Mr. BadLuck?

Edited by Drugwash

You mean this: USB20DRV.EXE? Well, it's complicated... But it sure has problems.

But it does contain some really interesting executables, some of which I'm using right now. I think the problem still lies in the .inf.

Your machine has USB 2.0 and works OK with NUSB 3.3, is that right? If so, we can work it by hand at installing that update, without using the inf, and you'll see it does work. One more question however, is your machine's southbridge a Via chip? Or are you using a USB add-on card based on a Via chip?

Not yet. This needs further testing.

Today I made a second attempt at installing the USB 2.0 stack together with all other system files recommended in post #628. Upon reboot(s), the USB Root Hub entries for the on-board USB 1.1 failed to load the drivers (NTKERN.VXD could not load the drivers for this device). Tried reinstalling drivers, removing and rebooting, etc. to no avail.

Upon uninstalling USB 2.0 stack and restoring system files from backup, the machine locked up. Tried a couple reboots - same result. Safe mode did work but wouldn't fix anything, so after a few failed boots I had to restore the registry from the most recent valid backup, at which point the machine got back to a working state.

This 98SE installation is 5 years old and lived through countless alpha tests, crashes and other mishappenings but only once or twice was I forced to actually restore the registry to get it back afloat, so I'd say there might be something fishy with this package, since it breaks the 1.1 controller and then corrupts the registry upon uninstallation. Or am I Mr. BadLuck?

Did you try to install USB20DRV directly on top of NUSB 3.3?

USB20DRV has some bugs (sorry MDGx :} )

USB20DRV downgrades USBHUB20.SYS, which should only be done on boards with VIA Chipsets. This should be a stand-alone installer for that one file.

The way USB20DRV handles WDMSTUB.SYS doesn't work either, it should only be loaded by USBSTOR.INF as described in that thread by dencorso, not loaded with the USB2.INF & drivers.

Also, did you remove ALL USB devices from the Device Manager before attempting this? This is a requirement, as we are changing both the INF and the driver.

I probably should have made a note of stating that, but as removing all USB devices is required for installing NUSB, and this was meant to be added to NUSB, I didn't think about it...

Edited by LoneCrusader

Sorry for the delay - just woke up minutes ago.

@dencorso: Yes, that's the package.I had downloaded it on July 22nd. Let's clear up the hardware:

- motherboard Soyo SY-6VBA 133

- chipset VIA VT82C693A (Apollo Pro 133)

- on-board USB 1.1 UHCI controller VIA VT82C596B

- PCI adapter with USB 2.0 EHCI controller VIA VT6202

Both USB controllers have been working correctly with NUSB33 (and previous versions, back at the time).

@LoneCrusader: Yes, I did install the USB 2.0 Stack package on top of NUSB33, primarily because I was in a hurry and secondly - and most important, IMO - because such upgrade should be compeltely transparent to the user, that is it should require absolutely no prior uninstall/tweaking of other system services or whatnot, since not all potential users are knowledgeable.

As such, I have not removed any of the USB devices that appear in Device Manager, especially because I have other USB related problems (one USB stick doesn't get assigned a drive letter and the brand new bluetooth USB adapter got VID & PID zeroed out) that I probably will elaborate on some other occasion and I was afraid that particular stick wouldn't be recognized anymore (which happened previously).

The files I added manually right after installing USB20DRV were:

- openhci.sys 4.90.3000.1

- uhcd.sys 4.90.3000.1

- usbccgp.sys 5.1.2600.5512 (from XP-SP3)

- usbd.sys 4.90.3000.1

- usbhub.sys 4.90.3002.1

- usbser.sys 5.1.2600.5512 (from XP-SP3)

I believe the issue with Composite devices is deeper than it may seem, since the class doesn't appear to be registered on a normal 98SE system and probably other changes and system files may be required as well. But for the time being I'm not gonna dig into this, as I got other important work to do (dencorso knows).

@LoneCrusader: Yes, I did install the USB 2.0 Stack package on top of NUSB33, primarily because I was in a hurry and secondly - and most important, IMO - because such upgrade should be compeltely transparent to the user, that is it should require absolutely no prior uninstall/tweaking of other system services or whatnot, since not all potential users are knowledgeable.

As such, I have not removed any of the USB devices that appear in Device Manager, especially because I have other USB related problems (one USB stick doesn't get assigned a drive letter and the brand new bluetooth USB adapter got VID & PID zeroed out) that I probably will elaborate on some other occasion and I was afraid that particular stick wouldn't be recognized anymore (which happened previously).

I believe the issue with Composite devices is deeper than it may seem, since the class doesn't appear to be registered on a normal 98SE system and probably other changes and system files may be required as well. But for the time being I'm not gonna dig into this, as I got other important work to do (dencorso knows).

I agree with you that the updates should be transparent, I didn't intend for anyone to grab the USB20DRV package and use it in this situation. I listed the thread as relevant because it had some further information not in the "Composite Device" thread. This was meant to be strictly an addition to NUSB.

As I stated above, 98SE and Win2K do not have an equivalent of USBCCGP.SYS. They use USBHUB.SYS or USBHUB20.SYS for composite devices. What I have done is based strictly on RetroOS's discovery (and the fact that he was using ME files enabled him to do it.)

It works perfectly here on a VM, but I don't have a bunch of USB devices to test it with. I was (and still am) a 95-lover for many years and as such had an extreme dislike for USB devices. Even now I only have flash drives. :lol:

Edit:

Added warnings to the previous post.

Edited by LoneCrusader

- usbser.sys 5.1.2600.5512 (from XP-SP3)

Well, Drugwash, IMO what blorked your system was the .inf inside USB20DRV. Of course the files it contains are OK for your system, provided USBSTOR.INF is edited to load WDMSTUB.SYS with USBSTOR.SYS. Now, adding the untested (AFAIK) USBSER.SYS from XP SP3 didn't help any, either. Fact is, I tested it with WDMCHECK.EXE, and it turns out to have the same 3 unsatisfied dependencies that the USBSTOR.SYS (v. 5.0.2195.6773) from USB20DRV has. On the bright side it means it should work, provided it's also loaded with WDMSTUB.SYS, and this means finding the .inf that sets its registry entry and editing it too. The downside is it may be more than one .inf... USBSER.SYS is for the USB virtual serial port, which is mostly used to support USB modems, AFAIK. Here's a screenshot of WDMCHECK's output:

post-134642-0-62558200-1312678196_thumb.

The best thing to do, would be combine all the inf files + system files (the best stable files everyone agrees on)

from NUSB.EXE + USB20DRV.EXE and using the latest USBSTOR.INF in post #602 in this topic

then maybe we can go from there.

_NUSB.INF

_USB2UN.INF

1394.INF

NODRIVER.INF

NTMAP.INF

USB2.INF

USBNTMAP.INF

USBSTOR.INF

USB20DRV.INF

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo

and videocameras and other similar devices.

*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.

1.Remove ALL drivers USB flash drives.

2.Remove ALL drivers USB 2.0 controllers.

3.Remove ALL USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers and devices.

4.Remove ALL unknown devices.

5.Install NUSB 3.5 and reboot.

6.After detection new USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers (if it will occur) too it is necessary to reboot.

Remember! You install it at own risk!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English: http://www.zshare.net/download/934510417a4f04d9/

Russian: http://www.zshare.net/download/934510631daab5ad/

What's new?

*OPENHCI.SYS 4.90.3000.1

*UHCD.SYS 4.90.3000.1

*USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.1

*USBHUB.SYS 4.90.3002.1

*USBCCGP.SYS 5.1.2600.5585

*USB.INF 01.01 ( LoneCrusader)

*USBSTOR.INF 01.10dt (dencorso, add new devices)

*USB2.INF 01.01 (MD, add new devices)

Thanks for taking a look at my findings. :thumbup

There is a small bug however, the USB.INF I posted didn't have sections for [sourceDisksNames] and [sourceDisksFiles] and still has the

"LayoutFile=Layout.inf, Layout1.inf, Layout2.inf"

line inside it. So, on installation it tries to get the files it needs from the CABs instead of from NUSB. If your CAB files are anywhere besides the standard OPTIONS\CABS folder it will stop and ask for the location of HOTPLUG.DLL (not in the original CABs, so you have to manually redirect it to where NUSB has extracted its files), and then it will try to replace the ME files with 98 ones (it prompts you to keep the newer one though). It has no trouble finding USBCCGP.SYS, which is not in the CABs either though :blink:

I believe the LayoutFile= line needs to be removed, and the [sourceDisksNames] and [sourceDisksFiles] sections added, using the same method as USB2.INF. I didn't make those changes myself because I am not familiar with creating "HotFix" type packages. :unsure:

EDIT:

I tried making the changes I listed on a test installation, and the behavior didn't change. I hope someone with a bit more knowledge on this will take a look at it.

I believe this is only an issue if Windows 98SE was installed from somewhere other than \OPTIONS\CABS. Anyone who encounters this will need to redirect the Driver wizard to %WinDir%\OPTIONS\CABS where NUSB extracts all of the new files. After that, everything is fine.

Edited by LoneCrusader

Interesting result from installing Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers.

My SanDisk Digital Audio Player model SDMX1 appeared to be dead. I had copied some files from it to my 98SE box but after that it no longer worked. Despite reconnecting and rebooting the 98SE box a few times the mp3 player was dead as a doornail. I connected it to my W2K box but the player didn't power up there either even though it had always worked before. I installed a fresh battery but there were no signs of life. I had been using the player that way for five years but now it was a goner.

Then I uninstalled the dedicated Sandisk drivers from the 98SE box and finally got around to installing Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers version 3.3. I connected the SanDisk player and all of a sudden it was jolted out of its coma. It worked again. Whatever the new drivers did they breathed new life into the carcass of my mp3 player, a fresh stream of data entering it's circuitry.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be giving this a go as soon as I get back home :D

Sorry for late reply but :

Apart from difficulties during installing devices, it works like a charm ^^

I had to juggle between OPTIONS\CABS and SYSTEM dirs to get files fed to the driver installer

Edited by TmEE

• 4 weeks later...