Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

Don't think the cd still is around... it may have never existed, actually.

The machine's an ancient Compaq and had windows 98 pre-installed.

Could I find the necessary file for upload on the computer somewhere (like C:/windows) and copy it over here and upload it?

I will look for a CD, but I doubt I have one.

You can take file from c:\windows\system. :yes:

Edited by Max_04

OK, I'll do that. It'll be a couple days. I have (obviously :rolleyes: ) no USB support on the machine and no CD burner either, so I need to use a floppy, then get to a computer that has a floppy drive and supports USB, too, so I can use my flash drive to move it over to this computer. (neither of the two "new" computers I have regular access to have floppy drives). I'll upload it hopefully by Wednesday, maybe sooner. Thanks again for the help. :hello:

HELP!!! All was working great with the Win98SE2ME patches until I tried to connect an external SATA drive. (SATA -> USB 2.0)

First, I got "MSGSRV32 caused an error in SETUPX.DLL" which then occurred when connecting any device.

The last time that happened I re-installed Win98SE from scratch.

This time, I just restored the last working copy of the registry and the device driver for one of my generic USB flash drives.

Now all FLASH devices work (Generic Sticks, PNY Attache, BENQ JoyBee, etc.)

BUT... When I connect *any* external hard drive I get "RUNDLL32 has caused an error in COMMCTRL.DLL"

After that happens, I cannot access *any* file on *any* drive from Explorer; it just hangs until I reboot (OK from DOS prompt)

I have tried restoring the COMMCTRL.DLL from Win98SE but the same thing happens.

Please advise ASAP!

Here is the error message:

MSGSRV32 caused a general protection fault

in module COMMCTRL.DLL at 0001:00000239.

Registers:

EAX=1c470090 CS=1c47 EIP=00000239 EFLGS=00000246

EBX=00000000 SS=1e87 ESP=00007136 EBP=80f27146

ECX=00000090 DS=1c07 ESI=00030058 FS=0000

EDX=00003b76 ES=3b76 EDI=00030000 GS=018f

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8e c1 8b 46 06 26 39 47 12 0f 87 03 00 e9 cf ff

Stack dump:

00581c07 1a530000 3b760021 00000090 07e0715a 000c1c47 1c070000 00000058 000140f7 0886716a 00001c47 40f70064 00010058 9ebe717a 00003ab7 00580000

Also, the same thing happens when I delete *any* device from the device list and then 'Add new hardware'

After that, the system will not boot properly. (USB device hangs before drawing desktop, LPT1 gets to desktop, gives error message and hangs)

So, definitely a problem with 'Adding Hardware'...

Edited by jmsallo

• 1 month later...
Don't think the cd still is around... it may have never existed, actually.

The machine's an ancient Compaq and had windows 98 pre-installed.

Could I find the necessary file for upload on the computer somewhere (like C:/windows) and copy it over here and upload it?

I will look for a CD, but I doubt I have one.

usually the Win98 first edition setup files are stored in the \WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\ folder of your Compaq PC. my cousin used to own an old Compaq Presario computer with pre-installed Win98 FE but gave it away to his relatives.

I'm wondering if the NUSB drivers (latest release) can work with Generic Storage Device Rev. 9317 devices under Win98 (all editions). I know WinME and WinXP provide generic drivers for my IOMagic Multicard Reader which detect the drives as Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device (under XP). This is the hardware ID listed in Device Manager:

USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_STORAGE_DEVICE&Rev_9317

<WinME listed the IOMagic Multicard Reader USB drives as "Generic STORAGE DEVICE">

I'll try the NUSB 3.1 drivers out on my relative's Win98SE computer. but at least the USB Floppy drive feature built-in the Multicard Reader Device (which is detected as a Mitsumi USB floppy drive) works with the manufacturer's drivers.

Edited by erpdude8

in nero you can save the session and you can add files later as long as you set the multisession option

This almost never works for me with CD-R's. I am using nero 5.5.9.17, the check box for multisession is grayed out. I believe this also happens with me on nero 6.0.0.9.

3. Crosslink cable is what you need for connecting both machines' NICs. Make sure you set IPs in the same class (i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2) and workgroup is identical on both.

Do you mean crossover cable? I think your right, but i'd rather not waste my money and buy one. With some effort, can't you change a straight cable to crossover and back again? And yes, i've heard of CD-RW's and those are the expensive discs. Luckily, i found a few, so i'm using one of them now.

seskanda, update your nero apps. latest Nero 5.5 release is 5.5.10.56 and the latest Nero 6 release is 6.6.1.15. also buy CD-RWs as multisession CDs work best with CD-rewriteable discs. hopefully your CD burner can use CD-RWs, otherwise, upgrade your CD burner that supports rewritable CDs/DVDs.

Success! The NUSB 3.1 drivers worked on my cousin's Win98se PC. It can now recognize the IOMagic 7-in-1 USB Multicard Reader, though I had to specify the USBSTOR.INF file which was in the \WINDOWS\INF\ folder of Win98se during the Add New Hardware Wizard dialog box.

Will try to test the NUSB 3.1 drivers and the IOMagic USB Multicard Reader device on my aunt's Win98 FE laptop.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

i'm new on the forum have some questions maybe some guru can reply.

I've seen there are some usb driver supposed to be microsoft for example umss.sys , umssfdik.sys , usbbulk.sys , bulkusb.sys , usbstor.sys . What are the main difference between them ?

Do some one have the version history for every microsoft ubs driver produced ?

Example starting from 4.10.2222 , 5.0.1636.1 , 5.0.1868.1 , 5.0.2138.1 and up to 5.1 ?

Thank,

Pat

Maximus Decim,

You may want to revise your Native USB Drivers pack to include version 4.72.3612.1700 of the explorer.exe file.

The one included in NUSB is explorer.exe version 4.72.3110.1 which will NOT be installed if Win98se users have already installed the Unofficial Windows 98 SE 256 Colors Icons Explorer EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1700 Fix posted at MDGx's site:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/EXPLOR98.EXE

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 month later...

Do I *have* to install 98SE2ME before MDNUSB Drivers? I don't have ME...

Also, will my Sandisk Cruzer Micro w/ U3 work after this?

Edit:

I just d/l the "generic" drivers from the other thread, and they work!

Thank GOD for this site

keep up the great work guys!

Edited by 303

i have made a clean install of 98SE, then installed all drivers, as well as dx9.0c. I am unsure if i should install the Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a (Gape's) or this Native USB Drivers. What should I install first? or is the order unimportant?

Thanks!