Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

Well, you can just rename the USBSTOR.INF from NUSB 2.4 to, say, USBSTOR.024 and copy the USBSTOR.INF from NUSB 3.3 to the %windir%\INF dir, and then either delete USBSTOR.024 or just let it lie there, without ever leaving windows. Provided you never ever plug an USB Floppy Disk Drive, this will work just fine. And add a lot more definitions to your system, so it can potentially recognize even more devices. HTH.

Many thanks again dencorso. That works for me. :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

I've found another board that NUSB 3.3 DOES NOT WORK WITH. It's the TriGem/HP "Cognac" socket 370 micro ATX. This board has nothing 'funky' about it. It's an ordinary Intel 810 chipset, NO built in 1394 controller like the Compaq Presario 5610, which NUSB 3.3 doesn't work with either.

Clean install of 98SE, all the hardware drivers, reboot, install NUSB 3.3, reboot and BLAM. Stick a fork in it, Windows is done. Won't even go into Safe Mode because Explorer.exe commits digital seppuku.

Fortunately I made a copy of c:\Windows before installing NUSB 3.3 so I can just connect the drive to another PC and copy it all back.

I have six other old boxen, all are going to get 98SE installed. They're all different boards and CPUs. It'll really be a PITA if some or all of them have this same problem.

What'd be nice to have is a DOS bootable disk that can REPAIR a system that this blows up so people don't end up having to completely reinstall Windows. What'd be even better is if it worked instead of causing this problem.

How about an installer option that asks if the computer has a floppy drive, then doesn't install the stuff to support USB floppy drives? Who is going to plug a USB floppy drive into a PC that has a normal one already?

What'd be even better is if it worked instead of causing this problem.

How about an installer option that asks if the computer has a floppy drive, then doesn't install the stuff to support USB floppy drives? Who is going to plug a USB floppy drive into a PC that has a normal one already?

How do you know the problem is with USB FDD support? Does NUSB 3.1 work and 3.3 break the system?

Or are you just guessing? Why don't you track down the problem? It sure is much better to light a candle than keep cursing the darkness. Since you have the board that exhibits the problem and most of us don't, you are in a unique position to help make NUSB even better than it is. Please, go ahead and do it!

BTW, I do have both a 3.5 and a 5.25 internal FDD drives in the machine, yet I went ahead and found the way to add USB FDD support to NUSB. While doing it, I did plug one, even two USB FDDs to the same machine. :blink: It is pointless to ask "who is going to do something?" because someone will always find a reason to do so... it's part of being human. :whistle:

Edited by dencorso

I got this one figured out. I copied the Win98 folder from an original CD-ROM to one of my XP computers and had copied that same folder to hard drives before installing the drives in old computers.

Apparently something went funky with that folder on the XP system- not enough to prevent 98SE from installing, but it'd make it screw up after installing NUSB. So I copied the win98 folder directly from the original CD-ROM to the PC with the "Cognac" motherboard, did a fresh install and no problems. I just installed NUSB 3.3 and still no problems.

Next I'll go back to the Compaq Presario 5610 with a fresh-fresh, right off the original CD-ROM install and see if that one still has a problem with NUSB. That was the first time this had caused a problem for me. If it doesn't this time around, then I'll know when something happened to the 98SE install files, but not what.

Looks like that needs to be added to the NUSB readme, "If you have any problems after installing NUSB, do a clean install from an original 98SE CD-ROM."

I didn't suspect a problem with the install files because it had ALWAYS WORKED until that Compaq, and that didn't make me think it might be the install files because of the built in 1394 controller that can't be disabled in BIOS.

Kinda off-topic but related to your issue, I could confirm that certain applications/drivers/etc. at install time may be searching for %windir% to deploy some of their files and in doing that, they're probably searching for specific Windows file(s). When the Windows installation kit (clear copy of the CD-ROM) is found on the (active) drive, it probably contains the respective file(s), which tricks those applications into thinking that they found %windir%, so they deploy their files there instead of the real %windir% folder.

I've had such behavior with my Lexmark 1150 combo while having the Win98SE kit on drive C: for testing the UBCD project, when I found dozens of Lexmark-related files in the Win98 folder, wondering how they ended up in there.

Basically what I'm saying is that some original Windows installation file may be overwritten by other from another application while the kit is on the HDD, so it'd be recommended for the Windows installation kit to be zipped or saved as an ISO image, mountable in Daemon Tools, Nero Virtual Drive, etc. or quickly browsable through Total Commander's ISO plug-in or similar.

I've got a Stratitec USB card in my 98SE box. It came with the orangeware drivers, version 2.06 I think. I upgraded these to version 2.3, which seems to be the best overall version for my PC. Version 2.41 didn't work nearly as well. The USB that's on the motherboard is 1.0, 98FE hardware.

I removed all the orangeware drivers, installed NUSB 3.3, and rebooted. After rebooting, Windows still tries to install PCI USB drivers. It doesn't accept anything from NUSB 3.3, wants OUSB2HUB.SYS and OUSBEHCI.SYS. Without them, device manager says "drivers not installed". Are the NUSB drivers supposed to replace/substitute for the orangeware drivers?

When plugged into the USB card, the external HD works but is much slower than with the orangeware drivers. When using the USB plugs on the motherboard, there's also a long delay in the opening of folders, extracting archives, etc in addition to the overall slowness.

Rick

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say thank you for the native usb drivers. Not only did I get both my USB hard drive working on 98SE, but I also got my external dvd burner working as well...and both are working more efficiently than they were on XP Pro! It's a shame the 98 user base has reduced so much that not that many people would even be willing to try it anymore with all of the new fixes. Keep up the good work!

Hell, I'd even throw in a donation for the work you've put into it. (And that's saying something considering that I absolutely refuse to even consider paying for most modern software).

• 3 weeks later...

Czech build Maxim Decimus NUSB v. 3.3a (correct bug in inf files and replace DLL) (only for czech version Windows 98 SE)

(Česká verze ovladače USB od Maxim Decimus verze 3.3a (oprava inf souboru a náhrada "zlobících" knihoven DLL) pouze pro české Windows 98 Druhé vydání)

Nusb33a_cs.exe czech.gif

You might have the same problem as I have with stupid Huawei U1220S phone. They just don't want to offer Win9x drivers for their hardware and NUSB can't do anything about it.

Memory card storage may be available but other phone-related functions will not.

I tried to use nusb3.3 on my system and it won't let explorer start or run. This is explorer from 95 running on SE. SE was patched with SP2.1a from this site. Reverting to 98 explorer allows the system to start, but it seems kind of shaky so far.

MOBO is intel D815. Two questions for anyone who can help:

1. Do I need to further patch this system to get it to work well? Will it ever work with 95 explorer?

2. If not, can someone tell me how to remove it? Otherwise, I have a long journey to reinstall everything.

Thanks all.

i have a box i used 98lite on with the 95 shell, when i installed nusb3.3 i found that it installed a newer explorer.exe so i referted to the 95 one and it worked fine after that

Thanks awergh! The problem was a reinstall of explorer.exe.

There was some weirdness of it BSOD after 2nd insertion of device, but that went away, pretty sure I didn't change anything either...I suspect my system is not up to date with the correct patches.

Still would like to know how to remove nusb as well, in case I can't get it to work.

Thanks .

Edited by snuz2

• 4 weeks later...

Just FYI, regarding the problems several of you report with the Mitsumi/IBM FDD. Be aware that FDD is one of the current industry standards. It is designed specifically as a laptop/desktop boot drive (besides being a super speed drive). For example, I am obsessed with the EePC now, so much that I haven't used my "big cumbersome" laptop in months. The Mitsumi is the ONLY "recommended" FDD for the EeePC. Why? Because the driver is contained in BIOS. Therefore, even before USB is detected, the Mitsumiit is automatically installed in Windows desktop (even if USB has not yet been installed)! This is a boot function, only true if it was plugged in BEFORE post/BIOS. Most newer laptops have the Mitsumi FDD resident in BIOS. Check that by deselcting BIOS "quiet boot". If the Mitsumi shows up, you have newer BIOS that already supports the FDD. So it doesn't need a "driver". Otherwise, if you add a "generic/universal" that includes Mitsumi, then desktop/kernel adds ANOTHER driver (like GenGuide) the drive will have TWO registries, thus TWO processes trying to command its IO. That always results in a problem. Like Colon Powell and Rumsfeld, two "bosses" tring to run a show... recipe for failure. So if your Mitsumi/IBM is to be used with a "universal" USB driver, containing multiple storage devices, then you should NOT have it connected at boot! That way, only the "universal driver" will load, and all will be fine. Myself, I just strip the Mitsumi from all my USB .inf files/registry, so that it is ONLY controlled by BIOS. The performance is MUCH better that way. Maximus is a great solution, but let your "universal" or "Maximus" control everything EXCEPT the Mitsumi. That is your best arrangement, since BIOS controlled devices have more powerful friends "higher up in the kernel" (earlier in the load).

Edited by danasaur