• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
maximus-decim

Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

804 posts in this topic

One thing I really like about NUSB36 is that it is superfast and I no longer have to click next next next next to get driver installed. Just plug in some USB thing and it installs in couple of seconds !

NUSB36 also fixed a system hang problem that sometimes happened when I unplugged any of my USB memory sticks. (and now the slow SP3.CAB scanning on my Pentium1 machine is limited to networking, USB stuff moves super fast now thanks to NUSB36 install :) )

One thing I really like about NUSB36 is that it is superfast and I no longer have to click next next next next to get driver installed. Just plug in some USB thing and it installs in couple of seconds !

NUSB36 also fixed a system hang problem that sometimes happened when I unplugged any of my USB memory sticks. (and now the slow SP3.CAB scanning on my Pentium1 machine is limited to networking, USB stuff moves super fast now thanks to NUSB36 install :) )

This tells me one or two things, you either have a hardware problem or you didn't follow instructions. You seem to be the only one with the SP3.CAB scanning issue. Since I can't reproduce the problem you are having and others are not witnessing, I can't help you.

The instructions were followed, and as far as functionality it appears the machine is working fine. The first thing I tested was the ability for the machine to recognize and then install the drivers for a number of USB memory sticks. Every one I tried worked, and all of them were correctly identified during the install process. I have USB drives from 128Mb to 16Gb in size. As I said before, all of them were recognized and installed to a drive letter just fine. Hooray!!!

When I put that same HDD into a more powerful machine there won't be any problem with the SP3.CAB scanning speed, it is purely stuck at the speed of the Pentium1 machine. Increasing RAM would not change anything (already got 256MB on it). The file is probably bigger than it was in previous iterations of the SP and I did follow instructions, spot on. No erros, no problems, things just work.

When I put that same HDD into a more powerful machine there won't be any problem with the SP3.CAB scanning speed, it is purely stuck at the speed of the Pentium1 machine. Increasing RAM would not change anything (already got 256MB on it). The file is probably bigger than it was in previous iterations of the SP and I did follow instructions, spot on. No erros, no problems, things just work.

Apparently it must be a hardware problem then since you follow instuctions. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

The instrutions say:

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.6

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo

and videocameras and other similar devices.

*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.

1.Remove ALL drivers USB flash drives.

2.Remove ALL drivers USB 2.0 controllers.

3.Remove ALL USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers and devices.

4.Remove ALL unknown devices.

Do these instructions mean that I only need go into device manager, locate these devices, and click the remove button to remove these devices,

or, if I have installed device specific drivers that came with flash drives and usb controller cards, I am supposed to track all of them down and figure out how to uninstall them?

The instrutions say:

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.6

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo

and videocameras and other similar devices.

*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.

1.Remove ALL drivers USB flash drives.

2.Remove ALL drivers USB 2.0 controllers.

3.Remove ALL USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers and devices.

4.Remove ALL unknown devices.

Do these instructions mean that I only need go into device manager, locate these devices, and click the remove button to remove these devices,

or, if I have installed device specific drivers that came with flash drives and usb controller cards, I am supposed to track all of them down and figure out how to uninstall them?

All individual USB Mass Storage drivers have to be removed. This driver package installs a universal driver for that. Check Add/Remove Programs first for uninstalling any USB drivers. That will remove the inf and driver files for them, if the install package included a properly done uninstall routine. If you just yank them out through Device Manager those inf and driver files may not get deleted and Windows will happily reinstall them for you when the device is detected again.

After rebooting, cancel any requests by Windows to install drivers. Then go to Device Manager to remove what USB devices are left.

Reboot again, and now let Windows to install drivers for all USB devices.

After rebooting, cancel any requests by Windows to install drivers.

Then go to Device Manager to remove what USB devices are left.

1) Does that mean you are supposed to remove also drivers for *all* Usb devices, like Usb Scanner or Printer?? :unsure:

2) If so, what about driver for an USB 2.0 card (= PCI adapter)?

3) BTW, where should I d/l the last 3.6 English version?

The 2 links given in post #693 by maximus-decim are broken :( .

Edited by CharlesF

Is there a keyboard shortcut key that will open the eject dialog box on a system without a mouse?

Is there anywhere from which it is currently possible to download nusb36e.exe? I have been trying for days to track down a source for this file and without success. I have seen posts (none from this year) by people who have installed and used nusb36 and given it great raps so it was available at some period last year at least.

From this thread and other sources I have found 3 links to supposed download pages and tried them on 2 different computers (one with Win 98SE and the other with XP) but all return a 'Page not found' or similar error. These links are -

https://rapidshare.com/files/99235514/nusb36e.exe

http://rs130p2.rapidshare.com/cgi-bin/rsapi.cgi?sub=download&fileid

I am very keen to find a download link for this file that works. I have also tried searching on mgdx.com in the hope that it may be there but had no luck.

TIA.

I am very keen to find a download link for this file that works.

But not an attentive reader, because it was there all along... try the third post before your own. :D

Thanks for the quick reply. I had seen this page and thought it is a hoax or hijack or something! I have never heard of this site before. It looks like a commercial operation. If it is a genuine download page then it needs some explanation for those who are not familiar with it. "File Download" is the only reference to nusb. What do "Premium" and "Free" refer to? "When are your files deleted" - what files? "Never" and "60 day without download" - what download? A little clarification would be helpful, please.

There's nothing much to explain. Click on the "Free Download" button. It'll pop up an ad window (which you can simply close) and display a countdown... when the countdown ends a "Download" button gets activated: click on it and the download starts, after you select where to download to. You asked for nusb36e. There it is.

Thanks very much for that. I'm wary of downloading anything in circumstances that look suspicious, but you have verified the page's authenticity. I'll go get it.

Thanks Den and Lone. Lone's post appeared when I was about to post that I had just found and downloaded 7z920. This matter has been a learning experience for me. Thanks again, guys.

I now have nusb36 unpacked and ready to install. Yippee! Just have to find the time to install it ...

Re removing all USB devices etc, I have a lising in Device Manager for a USB Port Driver, shown as a Mass Storage Class Adapter, for which the driver is hpiosata.pdr. This driver is used by a Smartdisk enclosure I use for backups, and possibly by other devices. Should the port driver be removed before nusb installation?

TIA

Re removing all USB devices etc, I have a lising in Device Manager for a USB Port Driver, shown as a Mass Storage Class Adapter, for which the driver is hpiosata.pdr. This driver is used by a Smartdisk enclosure I use for backups, and possibly by other devices. Should the port driver be removed before nusb installation?

TIA

Yes, but be certain you have a backup of those drivers in case they are needed again. NUSB provides a generic driver that should work for all such devices, but keep a copy of the original in case your devices don't play well with NUSB.

Thanks for that - will do. I have the enclosure's driver files in a separate folder any way, and I will also make a backup copy of Windows\Inf.

Anyone have a working link for 3.6? All the links I seem to find are dead.