Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
783 replies to this topic

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
Pardon my ignorance. :blushing:
What file do I need to find? Any old version of systray.exe that's before 4.10.2224?
What do I do when I find that file? I would greatly appreciate it if someone made a windows 98 fe package or something, and I'll get that file for oyu but I need to know what file...

Again, I'm sorry for the hassle.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jonazz

jonazz

• Members
  • 17 posts
When someone who knows anything about how the stuff works, gives you a version number and you have obtained that file, send me a private message and I'll make you a version for win 98 fe. I only know to compress the files into an executable file.

Max_04

Max_04

Unofficial Service Packs Italian Releaser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

What file do I need to find? Any old version of systray.exe that's before 4.10.2224?
What do I do when I find that file? I would greatly appreciate it if someone made a windows 98 fe package or something, and I'll get that file for oyu but I need to know what file...

If you have a CD of Windows 98 (not SE) you can take file from there.
After, compress file in a zip and send it in attachment in a post.

Edited by Max_04, 07 April 2007 - 05:08 PM.

Max_04

Max_04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

If you have a CD of Windows 98 (not SE) you can take file from there.
After, compress file in a zip and send it in attachment in a post.

Follow these indications and let us know. :hello:

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
Don't think the cd still is around... it may have never existed, actually.
The machine's an ancient Compaq and had windows 98 pre-installed.
Could I find the necessary file for upload on the computer somewhere (like C:/windows) and copy it over here and upload it?
I will look for a CD, but I doubt I have one.

Max_04

Max_04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Could I find the necessary file for upload on the computer somewhere (like C:/windows) and copy it over here and upload it?

You can take file from c:\windows\system. :yes:

Edited by Max_04, 08 April 2007 - 03:48 AM.

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
OK, I'll do that. It'll be a couple days. I have (obviously :rolleyes: ) no USB support on the machine and no CD burner either, so I need to use a floppy, then get to a computer that has a floppy drive and supports USB, too, so I can use my flash drive to move it over to this computer. (neither of the two "new" computers I have regular access to have floppy drives). I'll upload it hopefully by Wednesday, maybe sooner. Thanks again for the help. :hello:

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developers
  • 8,706 posts
Ummmm didja ever hear of temp servers like mytempdir?

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Ummmm didja ever hear of temp servers like mytempdir?

No... but this machine is NOT on a network, not on the web - it's all by its lonesome self. that's one big reason for needing USB - flash drives!

jmsallo

jmsallo

• Members
  • 14 posts
HELP!!! All was working great with the Win98SE2ME patches until I tried to connect an external SATA drive. (SATA -> USB 2.0)

First, I got "MSGSRV32 caused an error in SETUPX.DLL" which then occurred when connecting any device.

The last time that happened I re-installed Win98SE from scratch.
This time, I just restored the last working copy of the registry and the device driver for one of my generic USB flash drives.

Now all FLASH devices work (Generic Sticks, PNY Attache, BENQ JoyBee, etc.)

BUT... When I connect *any* external hard drive I get "RUNDLL32 has caused an error in COMMCTRL.DLL"

After that happens, I cannot access *any* file on *any* drive from Explorer; it just hangs until I reboot (OK from DOS prompt)

I have tried restoring the COMMCTRL.DLL from Win98SE but the same thing happens.

Please advise ASAP!

Here is the error message:

MSGSRV32 caused a general protection fault
in module COMMCTRL.DLL at 0001:00000239.
Registers:
EAX=1c470090 CS=1c47 EIP=00000239 EFLGS=00000246
EBX=00000000 SS=1e87 ESP=00007136 EBP=80f27146
ECX=00000090 DS=1c07 ESI=00030058 FS=0000
EDX=00003b76 ES=3b76 EDI=00030000 GS=018f
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8e c1 8b 46 06 26 39 47 12 0f 87 03 00 e9 cf ff
Stack dump:
00581c07 1a530000 3b760021 00000090 07e0715a 000c1c47 1c070000 00000058 000140f7 0886716a 00001c47 40f70064 00010058 9ebe717a 00003ab7 00580000

Also, the same thing happens when I delete *any* device from the device list and then 'Add new hardware'
After that, the system will not boot properly. (USB device hangs before drawing desktop, LPT1 gets to desktop, gives error message and hangs)

So, definitely a problem with 'Adding Hardware'...

Edited by jmsallo, 12 April 2007 - 02:46 AM.

jmsallo

jmsallo

• Members
  • 14 posts
FYI - I just deleted the contents of Windows/inf/other and got past the error.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

usually the Win98 first edition setup files are stored in the \WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\ folder of your Compaq PC. my cousin used to own an old Compaq Presario computer with pre-installed Win98 FE but gave it away to his relatives.

I'm wondering if the NUSB drivers (latest release) can work with Generic Storage Device Rev. 9317 devices under Win98 (all editions). I know WinME and WinXP provide generic drivers for my IOMagic Multicard Reader which detect the drives as Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device (under XP). This is the hardware ID listed in Device Manager:
USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_STORAGE_DEVICE&Rev_9317
<WinME listed the IOMagic Multicard Reader USB drives as "Generic STORAGE DEVICE">

I'll try the NUSB 3.1 drivers out on my relative's Win98SE computer. but at least the USB Floppy drive feature built-in the Multicard Reader Device (which is detected as a Mitsumi USB floppy drive) works with the manufacturer's drivers.

Edited by erpdude8, 14 May 2007 - 05:04 PM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

in nero you can save the session and you can add files later as long as you set the multisession option

This almost never works for me with CD-R's. I am using nero 5.5.9.17, the check box for multisession is grayed out. I believe this also happens with me on nero 6.0.0.9.

3. Crosslink cable is what you need for connecting both machines' NICs. Make sure you set IPs in the same class (i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2) and workgroup is identical on both.

Do you mean crossover cable? I think your right, but i'd rather not waste my money and buy one. With some effort, can't you change a straight cable to crossover and back again? And yes, i've heard of CD-RW's and those are the expensive discs. Luckily, i found a few, so i'm using one of them now.

seskanda, update your nero apps. latest Nero 5.5 release is 5.5.10.56 and the latest Nero 6 release is 6.6.1.15. also buy CD-RWs as multisession CDs work best with CD-rewriteable discs. hopefully your CD burner can use CD-RWs, otherwise, upgrade your CD burner that supports rewritable CDs/DVDs.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• Members
  • 2,139 posts
Success! The NUSB 3.1 drivers worked on my cousin's Win98se PC. It can now recognize the IOMagic 7-in-1 USB Multicard Reader, though I had to specify the USBSTOR.INF file which was in the \WINDOWS\INF\ folder of Win98se during the Add New Hardware Wizard dialog box.

Will try to test the NUSB 3.1 drivers and the IOMagic USB Multicard Reader device on my aunt's Win98 FE laptop.

pat98usb

pat98usb
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Hi all,

i'm new on the forum have some questions maybe some guru can reply.
I've seen there are some usb driver supposed to be microsoft for example umss.sys , umssfdik.sys , usbbulk.sys , bulkusb.sys , usbstor.sys . What are the main difference between them ?
Do some one have the version history for every microsoft ubs driver produced ?
Example starting from 4.10.2222 , 5.0.1636.1 , 5.0.1868.1 , 5.0.2138.1 and up to 5.1 ?

Thank,

Pat

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,428 posts
@Maximus Decim

You might be interested in this:
http://www.msfn.org/...topic=99220&hl=

am alternative "Universal" USB driver

Direct link to my post with translation of original article:
http://www.boot-land...?...ic=2411&hl=

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 16 June 2007 - 02:22 AM.

WebMatze

WebMatze

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
Sorry removed prob with file

Edited by WebMatze, 21 June 2007 - 12:38 PM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• Members
  • 2,139 posts
Maximus Decim,

You may want to revise your Native USB Drivers pack to include version 4.72.3612.1700 of the explorer.exe file.
The one included in NUSB is explorer.exe version 4.72.3110.1 which will NOT be installed if Win98se users have already installed the Unofficial Windows 98 SE 256 Colors Icons Explorer EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1700 Fix posted at MDGx's site:
http://www.mdgx.com/files/EXPLOR98.EXE

Edited by erpdude8, 29 June 2007 - 08:59 AM.

• Members
  • 36 posts
Do I *have* to install 98SE2ME before MDNUSB Drivers? I don't have ME...
Also, will my Sandisk Cruzer Micro w/ U3 work after this?

Edit:
I just d/l the "generic" drivers from the other thread, and they work!
Thank GOD for this site
keep up the great work guys!

Edited by 303, 22 August 2007 - 12:43 AM.

iobilly

iobilly

• Members
  • 14 posts
i have made a clean install of 98SE, then installed all drivers, as well as dx9.0c. I am unsure if i should install the Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a (Gape's) or this Native USB Drivers. What should I install first? or is the order unimportant?

Thanks!

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts

Do I *have* to install 98SE2ME before MDNUSB Drivers? I don't have ME...

You don't have to install 98SE2ME:
http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=46349
for USB to work, but it is recommended to install it [options 1, 2 or 5], to get more INF files for more USB devices and newer USB system files.
Unfortunately, if you don't have a WinME CD-ROM or setup CABs, you can't install 98SE2ME. :(
This fragment is from 98SE2ME READ1ST.TXT [the "EXTREMELY IMPORTANT" section]:
http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/read1st.php

* MUST install Native USB Drivers (NUSB):
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#NUS
ONLY AFTER installed 98SE2ME options 1, 2 or 5!
IF ALREADY installed NUSB BEFORE 98SE2ME options 1, 2 or 5, MUST REinstall
NUSB AGAIN AFTER installing 98SE2ME options 1, 2 or 5!

HTH

aLeXis

aLeXis

• Members
  • 46 posts
I just want to thank Maximus for this AWSOME OS update....i recently purchased a Nokia N73 mobile phone and i had no chance to get it to interact with my Win98SE machine because Nokia doesn't support this OS in its latest Nokia PC Suite software & other mobile phone manager type of software need the nokia drivers already installed (what's the point then???) but luckly this phone can work as a USB Mass Storage drive. So i just installed this amazing piece of software and guess what IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY...now i don't have to run cpu/memory hogging mobile manager soft....

THANKS to Maximus-Decim & all who contributed to NUSB. :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

2Turtles

2Turtles

• Members
  • 45 posts
:thumbup I too would like to say thank you for the excellent driver! I found it via the ABi forums whilst trying to make a birthday gift work (my aunt did not realize the mp3 player she kindly got for me needed XP and I only have 98se computer :o ) It has been working since the moment I found one of your drivers and has made us both very happy! I'm having issues with it's conversion software and was trying to find a solution via Google when I landed on MDGX website (which I found last year and have used to greatly improve my old win98se pc) and while reading realized at the first appearance of this link http://www.technical...kb/usbmsd98.php that Maximus was in fact the creator of the driver that let my pc see my mp3player!

Since I have read this entire post I thought I would add in my own info and experience with the driver in the event it could be useful to others:

I have win98se, done up with autopatcher from MDGX site and many other hacks and tweaks from there (too many to remember them all!) I recieved Sansa e280 for my birthday, and already had Nikon Coolpix L4 camera spotted by computer before new Maximus driver.

I admit to foolishness because honesty can help fix errors! I knew nothing about "mass storage driver, flash driver, ums,msc,mtp etc." I had never owned one such so I did not know our camera was one! I just installed software from disc so my mom could use her new camera and it worked no problem... that was a long time ago.

1 month ago I receive Sansa e280, I find Maximus' driver nusb31e and I installed it, but without removing other drivers because I didn't understand cameras were mass storage and I was afraid to remove our HP usb printer driver because it was very hard to get working on usb. That driver would not install and I tried many times, the error said it was unreadable or something - since I had saved it to a floppy on my aunts XP machine and brought it home to mine I thought XP had saved it funny :blushing: So instead I downloaded nusb30e and it installed fine even with other usb drivers still on machine! Now I could see my player as drive f: and its microSD slot as drive g: and I drag music over like crazy-happy-fool!

And fools are foolish so... I did not see "unplug usb device icon" down in system tray for first few days so I was just unplugging it like we do to the camera. I must report that I had no problems with the device and not one BSOD either, nor any hanging of PC. Of course since I have found it I use it because it seems it must be there for good reason!

I am wondering if because I have USBSTOR.SYS 5.00.2195.6655 understanding from earlier in the thread that it was downgraded in ver3.1 (Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.1 What's new? *Downgrade USBSTOR.SYS (4.90.3000.1), removed wdmstub.sys) if that could be why I could not install the latest version? I think that file confirms the device is there sort of? I ask because although windows explorer sees my sansa and I can paste music in msc mode I think it does not actually register anywhere because USBView (found here) does not see it when it is connected nor does my photo conversion software :realmad: which is what got me searching the internet and landing here to begin with! Only explorer sees it, so I can have music but no movies and no photos because you have to use that *%#@!! software to put on picture/video. Possibly there is someway to make the player no longer invisible by filling in some spot in the registry?

I'm sorry for talking so much :wacko: but I'm hopeful now because I know there are smart people here and this is where the first thing that made my player work came from so maybe someone knows how I can access all it's features?

Thank you so much Maximus and everyone here!

Ninho

Ninho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
One more, big big thank you, Maximus Decim !

I've just installed NUSB version 3.1 (Fr) on Win 98 SE. No frills, just works out of the box, like magic !

I'm the most amazed, as my MoBo has the SiS USB chipset for which previously /nothing/ could make *USB2* work in windows 98, from the manufacturer or otherwise, and not even a previous version 2.x of NUSB.

This is some miracle !

I would advise any reader with SiS chipsets to try it immediately.

With regards,

--
Ninho

PassingBy

PassingBy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Hmmm ......

What spurs my modification of NUSB :

I finally got around to rebuild and reinstall a Windows 98 First Edition system ... I thought I'd give it a shot with the NUSB3.1 .... and ..... as I predicted, it doesn't work ..... :rolleyes:

Well, I thought that I'd give it a whack, a hack and a patch or two to see how it'll measure up .... and after a couple of days looking for suitable drivers and test runs .... here it is:

(Historical mirror:)
NUSB 3.11 Alpha for Windows 98 First Edition - mirror
NUSB 3.11 Alpha for Windows 98 First Edition - mirror

Folks, those of you who were wondering and asking and looking here and there if it's possible for your W98 FE to support usb drives .... please have a go and see if it works for you ..... :sneaky:

The system tested on :
Duron 750 on SiS730 motherboard using usb1.1 openhci drivers running Windows 98 1st edition.

The install sequence was :
1. Windows 98FE + plus all required drivers
2. Windows 98FE SP2.3.0
3. IE6 sp1
4. NUSB 3.11 Alpha for W98FE
5. RP7MM

Tested with:
A bunch of usb flash drives by Apacer, Buffalo, etc etc etc .......
Haven't had a chance to test with usb 2.0 or any other usb devices yet, so your mileage may vary .....

Changes:
- Replaced usbstor.sys with skumss.sys : Seems to be reasonably fast and stable on Win98FE. It was ripped from one
the drivers on the net and I couldn't remember where as there were several more that I played around with. AFAIK,
it seems to be based on the free usb sample driver in MS DDK somewhere ....
- Replaced usbmphlp.pdr with skpdr.pdr : The mini port driver to make the magic work ...
- Usbntmap.sys is now used to trigger the usb event notification to make systray eject icon appears ...
- Added batmeter.dll : This one's taken from stock win98se for systray to properly behave. What can I say ?

And as usual, no warranty bla bla bla no bla bla bla ....

I just wanted to see if it will work as I thought it should ..... :rolleyes:

@Maximum-Decim
My apologies if I didn't get to you first on this ... If this one's a dud, I'll take all the flak ... that's fine ... If it works good for others, then the ....

Credits goes to Maximum-Decim :hello: for the original NUSB 3.1 for Win98 SE ...

Rgds

Native USB 3.20 for Windows 98 First Edition English Release & mirrors :

NUSB 3.20 English for Windows 98 First Edition - mirror

NUSB 3.12 Beta for Windows 98 First Edition - mirror & info

Changes/updates for 3.12 beta:
1. Usbstor is now working on windows 98 FE. Previous plans of using Umss have been dropped.
2. Usb 2.0 support is now working on windows 98 FE. Test runs on via usb2.0 indicates everything is functional.
3. Updated explorer ver 4.72.3612.1700
4. Corrections to ATI usb2.0 inf section.
5. Patched disktsd.vxd 4.90.3000 update.
6. USB FDD support re-enabled. Test runs on mitsumi usb fdd confirmed it to be fully functional.

Updates for 3.20 (stable):
1. Powerbutton not working on ACPI systems. Fixed by replacing acpi driver.
2. Minor changes to usb controller and storage classes.

Edited by PassingBy, 16 March 2008 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN