Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
786 replies to this topic

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
I've got a Stratitec USB card in my 98SE box. It came with the orangeware drivers, version 2.06 I think. I upgraded these to version 2.3, which seems to be the best overall version for my PC. Version 2.41 didn't work nearly as well. The USB that's on the motherboard is 1.0, 98FE hardware.

I removed all the orangeware drivers, installed NUSB 3.3, and rebooted. After rebooting, Windows still tries to install PCI USB drivers. It doesn't accept anything from NUSB 3.3, wants OUSB2HUB.SYS and OUSBEHCI.SYS. Without them, device manager says "drivers not installed". Are the NUSB drivers supposed to replace/substitute for the orangeware drivers?

When plugged into the USB card, the external HD works but is much slower than with the orangeware drivers. When using the USB plugs on the motherboard, there's also a long delay in the opening of folders, extracting archives, etc in addition to the overall slowness.
Rick

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Marius '95

Marius '95

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
Romoved = Removed from Add/Remove Programs ?
It may not be enough. I think the .inf file was left behind. Delete it.

Jlo555

Jlo555

• PipPip
  • 232 posts
I just wanted to say thank you for the native usb drivers. Not only did I get both my USB hard drive working on 98SE, but I also got my external dvd burner working as well...and both are working more efficiently than they were on XP Pro! It's a shame the 98 user base has reduced so much that not that many people would even be willing to try it anymore with all of the new fixes. Keep up the good work!

Hell, I'd even throw in a donation for the work you've put into it. (And that's saying something considering that I absolutely refuse to even consider paying for most modern software).

Philco

Philco

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
Czech build Maxim Decimus NUSB v. 3.3a (correct bug in inf files and replace DLL) (only for czech version Windows 98 SE)
(Česká verze ovladače USB od Maxim Decimus verze 3.3a (oprava inf souboru a náhrada "zlobících" knihoven DLL) pouze pro české Windows 98 Druhé vydání)

Nusb33a_cs.exe Posted Image
Posted Image
czech localization NUSB, BigHDD & UberSkin - homepage czech project: Winpack.org and windows98.ic.cz

Philco

Philco

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
Phone Sony K800i - with NUSB not properly. I try this (in inf note win98): http://www.nxtg.net/...ies-drivers.zip

Result: error. Help? (I need only USB cable support => transfering digital photo)

Edited by Philco, 05 May 2008 - 12:18 PM.

Posted Image
czech localization NUSB, BigHDD & UberSkin - homepage czech project: Winpack.org and windows98.ic.cz

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
You might have the same problem as I have with stupid Huawei U1220S phone. They just don't want to offer Win9x drivers for their hardware and NUSB can't do anything about it.

Memory card storage may be available but other phone-related functions will not.

snuz2

snuz2

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
I tried to use nusb3.3 on my system and it won't let explorer start or run. This is explorer from 95 running on SE. SE was patched with SP2.1a from this site. Reverting to 98 explorer allows the system to start, but it seems kind of shaky so far.
MOBO is intel D815. Two questions for anyone who can help:

1. Do I need to further patch this system to get it to work well? Will it ever work with 95 explorer?

2. If not, can someone tell me how to remove it? Otherwise, I have a long journey to reinstall everything.

Thanks all.

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
i have a box i used 98lite on with the 95 shell, when i installed nusb3.3 i found that it installed a newer explorer.exe so i referted to the 95 one and it worked fine after that

snuz2

snuz2

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
Thanks awergh! The problem was a reinstall of explorer.exe.

There was some weirdness of it BSOD after 2nd insertion of device, but that went away, pretty sure I didn't change anything either...I suspect my system is not up to date with the correct patches.

Still would like to know how to remove nusb as well, in case I can't get it to work.

Thanks .

Edited by snuz2, 16 May 2008 - 12:50 AM.

danasaur

danasaur
  • 2 posts
Just FYI, regarding the problems several of you report with the Mitsumi/IBM FDD. Be aware that FDD is one of the current industry standards. It is designed specifically as a laptop/desktop boot drive (besides being a super speed drive). For example, I am obsessed with the EePC now, so much that I haven't used my "big cumbersome" laptop in months. The Mitsumi is the ONLY "recommended" FDD for the EeePC. Why? Because the driver is contained in BIOS. Therefore, even before USB is detected, the Mitsumiit is automatically installed in Windows desktop (even if USB has not yet been installed)! This is a boot function, only true if it was plugged in BEFORE post/BIOS. Most newer laptops have the Mitsumi FDD resident in BIOS. Check that by deselcting BIOS "quiet boot". If the Mitsumi shows up, you have newer BIOS that already supports the FDD. So it doesn't need a "driver". Otherwise, if you add a "generic/universal" that includes Mitsumi, then desktop/kernel adds ANOTHER driver (like GenGuide) the drive will have TWO registries, thus TWO processes trying to command its IO. That always results in a problem. Like Colon Powell and Rumsfeld, two "bosses" tring to run a show... recipe for failure. So if your Mitsumi/IBM is to be used with a "universal" USB driver, containing multiple storage devices, then you should NOT have it connected at boot! That way, only the "universal driver" will load, and all will be fine. Myself, I just strip the Mitsumi from all my USB .inf files/registry, so that it is ONLY controlled by BIOS. The performance is MUCH better that way. Maximus is a great solution, but let your "universal" or "Maximus" control everything EXCEPT the Mitsumi. That is your best arrangement, since BIOS controlled devices have more powerful friends "higher up in the kernel" (earlier in the load).

Edited by danasaur, 06 June 2008 - 04:26 AM.

ashgir

ashgir
  • 3 posts

Hi Maximus,

That is a master-piece!!
Just would like to feedback to you, that it should be allowed to unplug the USB drive after right-click the drive in Windows Explorer and in the drop-down menu then click Eject. When we do that, your driver will come up with "Unsafe Removal of Device" popup. Would be great if this can be corrected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks to sunamigaza for the SUBSTOR.INF.
Unfortunately there is no reply from Maximus regarding the possibility of using "Eject" as described in my message above.
Has someone else any idea?

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.3
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo
and videocameras and other similar devices.
*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.
1.Remove ALL drivers USB flash drives.
2.Remove ALL drivers USB 2.0 controllers.
3.Remove ALL unknown devices.
4.Install NUSB 3.3 and reboot.
5.After detection new USB 2.0 controllers (if it will occur) too it is necessary to be reboot.
Remember! You install it at own risk!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
English: http://rapidshare.co...usb33e.exe.html
Russian: http://rapidshare.co...usb33r.exe.html

What's new?
*Add CDVSD.VXD 4.90.3004
*USBSTOR.INF 1.08 - add EKE USB Floppy (VID_0424&PID_0FDC), add USBCompliance (for usbu2a.sys), small fix for USB FDD

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.2
English: http://rapidshare.co...sb32e.exe.html
Russian: http://rapidshare.co...usb32r.exe.html

What's new?
*Add USB FDD + DISKTSD.VXD 4.90.3001
*Fix USB2.INF for ATI chipsets
*explorer.exe ver 4.72.3612.1700

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.1
English: http://rapidshare.co...usb31e.exe.html
Russian: http://rapidshare.co...usb31r.exe.html

What's new?
*Downgrade USBSTOR.SYS (4.90.3000.1), removed wdmstub.sys
*CnMemore replaced Skymedi

Edited by ashgir, 07 June 2008 - 01:28 PM.

ashgir

ashgir
  • 3 posts
I have recently bought Zaapa USB card reader/writer for SD mini SD and MMC cards.
My computer is DELL XPS D300Mhz PII. My OS is Win98 English.
The dealer of Zaapa sent me Maximum Decim Native driver V3.2 for Win98FE.
I installed the driver to C:\Windows directory.
During the installation I notice an error message INF File "\_nusb.inf" not found.
But the installation proceeded successfully.
Although the USB green light stays on lighting, I cannot see the icon of the USB in MyComputer.
It looks that the system still doesn't recognize the USB card reader/writer.
Could you advise if there is anyhting which can be done to rectify this problem?
Thanks

aqcww

aqcww

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
hi,everyone
How to make it run under Chinese evironment?my system is Chinese language.
today i tried to setup it(English ver),but my system was dead after that......re-setup.... :realmad:
so,what can i do?should i replace user.exe and user.dll?where can i download them?
thanks a lot

Edited by aqcww, 07 June 2008 - 07:30 PM.

Posted Image

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,795 posts

hi,everyone
today i tried to setup it(English ver),but my system was dead after that......re-setup.... :realmad:
so,what can i do?should i replace user.exe and user.dll?where can i download them?
thanks a lot

Why are you so angry when you where the one that tried an english patch on a chinese os?

aqcww

aqcww

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

hi,everyone
thanks a lot

Why are you so angry when you where the one that tried an english patch on a chinese os?

what should i do?
Posted Image

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
you might want to update your pack with this

Unofficial MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 + Windows 3.1x/9x/ME Panasonic native DOS USB driver USBASPI.EXE (USBASPI.SYS) 2.24 Fix
Also do you think its possible to add newer Winxp drivers to the pack.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 07 December 2008 - 01:55 PM.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Philco

Philco

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

you might want to update your pack with this

Unofficial MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 + Windows 3.1x/9x/ME Panasonic native DOS USB driver USBASPI.EXE (USBASPI.SYS) 2.24 Fix

Links? Thx.
Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,850 posts

Donator

See the top post in the updates sticky... it's findable at MDGx's now.

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
I have an Olympus C3030 Zoom digital camera. To get images off of the camera I supposedly need to install Olympus's Camedia software. I ran across this recently:

http://groups.google...4eca67343d36ab1

It's for XP, mentions opening srusbusd.inf in notepad and removing some semicolons. It looks to me you could fix more than Olympus cameras. Are these cameras supported using your native USB drivers? If not could they be added?

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Hmmm .....

NUSB 3.12 Beta for Windows 98 1st Edition have been released !

Please refer to post #350 : http://www.msfn.org/...ic=43605&st=349 for changes/updates/reports.

Rgds

Hi PassingBy. The link to "post $350" is no longer working.

I've just received my cousin's old eMachine computer that has built-in USB ports [one in front and one in the back of the PC] and will test out your NUSB98FE package I obtained from MDGx's web site. I'll have to install the Win98 FE OS and the Intel chipset drivers before I proceed with NUSB98FE.

barbarien

barbarien

• 35 posts
Why the explorer.exe 4.72.3612.1700 is included in NUSB 3.3
and what is patched ?????

PassingBy

PassingBy

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
Hmmm .....

Hey there erpdude8 :hello: ,

I'm in a bit of a tight schedule right now ... and away from my dev systems ...

If you could hold out just for another couple of days or so, I'll post an updated pack to match the latest NUSB by Maximum-Decim ... It's already been tested for months now on several W98FE systems but I haven't gotten round to include an un-install routine yet ... That's on the to-do-list ...

I apologise for being lame and not having the updated pack posted much earlier ... :blushing:

@barbarien:

The explorer is the pretty much the same used in nusb33e (maybe some resource is different here and there but definitely no code patches were done). So, no major differences there. It's there to handle usb insertion messages correctly ...

Rgds

barbarien

barbarien

• 35 posts
what is when i overwrite these explorer.exe with the one from
dr.hoiby 4.72.3612.1710 ?? explor98 patch

and i found another version of 4.72.3612.1700
here --- http://support.micro...om/kb/246073/de

im now a bit confused

the original win 98se is 4.72.3110.1

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
nusb v3.3 is entered in Win98SE Add/Remove as "Remove Unofficial Universal USB 2.0 Stack". What does uninstall exactly do and not do?

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,850 posts

Donator

It just removes the Universal USB 2.0 Stack (cf post #1), probably to give people the chance to uninstall it before installing either Sis or VIA USB 2.0 Stack. It does not remove the core NUSB files. You can remove NUSB from DOS by hand. But most of the files not directly related to USB don't need to be removed in any scenario I can envisage. Then again, YMMV.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN