1. Make sure your mobo BIOS Setup USB options are all enabled.
2. Check Device Manager see which IRQ is used by USB devices.
3. If same IRQ used also by other devices, make sure IRQ steering is enabled.
If not, enable it and reboot.
4. Check the Mitsumi device resources and make sure they are not used by any other device in your PC.
If u see any conflicts, try to manually adjust resources [if allowed]. Reboot if necessary.
5. In Device Manager -> your Universal Host Controller "name" [depends on your mobo chipset ID] -> Advanced tab -> make sure the box "Disable USB error detection" is checked -> if not, check it -> reboot.
6. If still doesn't work: if USB shares same IRQ with any other device -> go to Reserve Resources tab -> add that particular IRQ -> reboot.
7. After reboot Windows should redetect all USB devices, but now they should have a different IRQ assigned.
8. Repeat step 5 if necessary.
9. If still doesn't work:
install 98SE2ME [5-21-2005 edition should be bug free as far as I know]:http://www.mdgx.com/4
for the updated WinME *.SYS files in %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS + other hardware detection files [HID*.*, USBUI.DLL] in %windir%\SYSTEM which are mostly for USB devices. 98SE2ME also installs:
from WinME, which may help.
10. Repeat step 5 if necessary.
11. Make sure there are no conflicts in Device Manager for your Mitsumi device.
12. Try also to disable all power saving/APM/ACPI options from your OS and mobo BIOS. Reboot if u do.
If still doesn't work, please see this troubleshooting guide, there may be a couple of things you can still do:http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#FWUE
Also, it may be a good idea to contact Mitsumi [or check their web site], maybe they have a solution, even if 98SE is not supported anymore.
See if they have a WinME specific driver [eventually newer], and try to install it.
If u can't install the ME driver, mod the INF file to allow u to install [that's easy, I can help with that if u want].
If they have a 2000 or XP specific driver, that may work also, but u may need some INF modding to force it to install [see above].
Hope this helps.