Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

I'm having an issue with these drivers... Whever I plug in a USB flash device, it shows up in device manager, but no drive letter gets assigned to the Disk Drive component... This also happens with the vendor's drivers. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks,

mtp

It's too general question. What "USB Flash device"? What is the VID and PID? Is the VID and PID of your flash device listed in USBSTOR.INF? What "vedndor's drivers" do you use?

Before installing nUSB all other USB storage drivers should be removed (in Safe Mode) including their INF files from %windir%\INF folder and all USB flash devices should be removed from the system. The best way is to install nUSB on fresly installed Windows 98 SE.

Then you will install the nUSB driver and then you can plug in your USB flash device. There is no warranty that all devices will really work.

Petr

Mr The Plague

have U "lastdrive=..." string in your config.sys file?

have U "net use ..." command in any startup file (f.e. autoexec.bat or any logon script with drive mapping)?

is your PC used as a workstation in Novell Netware network?

It's too general question. What "USB Flash device"? What is the VID and PID? Is the VID and PID of your flash device listed in USBSTOR.INF? What "vedndor's drivers" do you use?

Before installing nUSB all other USB storage drivers should be removed (in Safe Mode) including their INF files from %windir%\INF folder and all USB flash devices should be removed from the system. The best way is to install nUSB on fresly installed Windows 98 SE.

Then you will install the nUSB driver and then you can plug in your USB flash device. There is no warranty that all devices will really work.

Well, the drivers provided by the vendor for the respective devices. - concord Eye-Q 4363Z camera, Lexar Jumpdrive, and Jumpdrive Secure. The camera gets recognized as a GenericBulkOnly, and the jumpdrives get recognized as their names. They just don't get a drive letter assigned by Windows.

I cannot install this on a fresh 98se box; it's for my girlfriend and she'd freak if I had to reformat.

have U "lastdrive=..." string in your config.sys file?

have U "net use ..." command in any startup file (f.e. autoexec.bat or any logon script with drive mapping)?

is your PC used as a workstation in Novell Netware network?

None of the above.

I tried to localize Ios.vxd and user.exe by myself and build the package here:

http://www.winpack.org/nsp_petr/nusb221es.exe

It was not tested at all (I have no Spanish Windows 98 SE here) so please be careful and backup first!. It may not install or crash your system, I don't know!

Petr

Thank you very much!!!!!!

at the moment, it seems to work well, if it don't give problems in the PC that I installed it, soon I will install it in the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope i installed the latest version the file is nusb22es.exe. Anyways, after i installed nusb, it did NOT work with one of my USB flash disks. The disk is a Sony MicroVault USB 2.0 256 MB. Is it because Win98SE WON'T support USB 2.0, or what? Nusb worked with a Sandisk Cruzer Mini, but it ONLY works after i restart my computer. What gives? I thought USB is Plug'n' Play.

Edited by seskanda

I'm having an issue with these drivers... Whever I plug in a USB flash device, it shows up in device manager, but no drive letter gets assigned to the Disk Drive component... This also happens with the vendor's drivers. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks,

mtp

hard disk usb ? perhaps in NTFS format no ? if that windows 9x/me can't read ntfs drive directly ...

Edited by sonic

I hope i installed the latest version the file is nusb22es.exe.

Do you mean nusb221es.exe ? As far as I know, no file associated with this project is called nusb22es.exe .

The latest English version is nusb22e.exe.

There's also an additional update of the USBSTOR.INF file to download as a .zip package and install afterwards, called nusb221e_upd.zip.

Petr has put together a version for Windows 98 SE Spanish, after someone here requested one, called nusb221es.exe. Is this the version you installed? If you did, then hopefully you intended to install this Spanish version (because your OS is a Spanish version, I would presume).

From what I understand, USB has often been problematic for several well-known hardware manufacturers. An updated Windows 98 SE should be able to handle USB 2.0, providing you have the correct drivers from your motherboard manufacturer (in addition to these 'native' USB drivers for USB devices). So, if you know what make and model your motherboard is and you haven't already done this, go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest USB driver. I guess you would have to re-install these nUSB drivers after updating your motherboard's USB drivers.

It's well worth taking a look at the USBMan website for help (although some parts of it may be a little bit out of date), particularly if you have a VIA chipset/motherboard.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone more experienced with matters USB will chip in and help you out some more if needed.

Oops, your right, it is nusb22e.exe. Where can i download the update to USBSTOR.INF? My motherboard is an Intel 440ZX, i think, once i'm certain i'll check out Intel's site and look for those USB update drivers. After i install the motherboard USB drivers, can i UN-install Nusb, or will it be fine to just RE-install it instead? Also, about having to Restart after inserting the Sandisk Flash drive, USBman.com says it should be PnP, what's the deal? Is there something internally wrong with my PC, because i have to reboot the system everytime i use the Sandisk Flash disk?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Forgive me Maximum, but what do you mean by remove all USB drivers. I'm not a 'tech-e' in any way, detailed, and simple instructions on how to install your patch would be greatly appreciated. Im glad there's geniouses like you out there so that dummys like me can get things done.

Thanks, jp

• 2 weeks later...

Have 2 USB hard drive enclosures, NSpire 2.5", Bytecc 3.5", both using Myson-Century CS8818.

Both recognized seamlessly after inserting these lines in nusb2.2 usbstor.inf:

;Myson-Century

%VID_04CF&PID_8818.DD%=USBSTOR_BULK,USB\VID_04CF&PID_8818

;Myson-Century

VID_04CF&PID_8818.DD="Myson-Century CS8818 USB Mass Storage Device"

How should i contact Microsoft to get hotfix Q242975 and Q291362 on danish?

I suppose there is an other way than paying money for e-mail support.

Q242975 in Danish can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloa...394/license.asp

For Q291362 Microsoft has to be asked, it may differ in different countries, you can try to call local Danish MS number, then ask for hotfix hotline, and then just ask for Q291362 hotfix in Danish. If this will not work, I can make Danish user.exe for you.

Petr