Unlimited number of drivers + keeping the drivers.

schalti

Welcome to MSFN, Styxke :) (where are you from? - I mean which city)

@both of you: which versions of the DriverPacks are you using? The latest, I presume???

Me? None mate. :lol:

I'm trying to create something myself.

In that case...

You might have want to read the first post.... there you'll see schalti has edited his post and has targeted Pyron's executable versions of schalti's scripts.

They can be found here.

Welcome to MSFN, Styxke :) (where are you from? - I mean which city)

@both of you: which versions of the DriverPacks are you using? The latest, I presume???

I'm from Blankenberge ... other side of the country ... hehe. :hello:

Not many Belgians on this forum ?

I use the latest versions of everything, method 2 through RunOnceEx.

I have to click the DriverSigning box about a zillion times ... but the drivers themselves work perfect, except the one for my SMC2862W-G ... for that I need to install the original drivers from the CD.

This evening I'll have a second (test)PC, I'll try it again and keep you posted (do you want screenshots also?).

They can be found here.

No, mate.

As I wrote in my first post, there's no link for Schalti's scripts.

So far I got only Pyron's SetupCopyOEMInf.exe. :no:

Correct. The scripts are useless now since there is SetupCopyOEMInf.exe which is based on my scripts and Pyron's SetDevicePath.exe.

If you want to create your own utility it's a matter of scanning a directory structure for INF-Files and use the API call SetupCopyOEMInf (which is inside setupapi.dll) on every INF-File. Maybe Pyron will even give you his C++-Sourcecode.

:blushing:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

First of all: This forum is great! Lots of "guru's" here!

Thanx very much for this SetupCopyOEMInf method!!!

@Pyron/Shalti

Could you put the scripts back online and possibly the sourcecode for the .exe? I want to study how this is put together, instead of just running it.

Maybe I should've made a new thread for the following questions...? I don't know for sure...

Questions:

----------------

It's a pity that this method doesn't work for massstorage drivers; as I understand these are a special kind. But could anyone explain me where the massstorage drivers are actually put on disk and what registry settings are made...?

So what I'm trying to grasp is how windows finds these ide/sata/raid/scsi drivers...

I know a lot of people here ain't fond of/don't use sysprep, which I understand, but it has a nice functionality called the buildmassstorage section, which is prepopulated with the -bmsd switch... and when the reseal is working, it takes a long time (somehow because of the large massstorage section)

Can you guys explain to me in detail what is done at that time? Or give me some link(s).

I've searched so long for these answers, but I can't find it anywhere... :-(

Thanx a lot!

P.S. one more question: would it be possible to somehow check, before pnp enumeration, what hardware is actually in the machine?

For example by running a tool that lists all hwid's and then finds the drivers for those hwid's recursively within a BTS-drvpack-folders residing on a cd/hdd/network and "SetupCopyOEMInf-ing" only those drivers?

Anyone?

Thanx again!

@Schalti

Could you put the scripts back online

I want to study how this is put together, instead of just running it.

I will not put the scripts back online, the executable is way faster and also runs on Windows 2000 without any problem.

Posted on June 1, 2005:

If you want to create your own utility it's a matter of scanning a directory structure for INF-Files and use the API call SetupCopyOEMInf (which is inside setupapi.dll) on every INF-File.

I know a lot of people here ain't fond of/don't use sysprep, which I understand, but it has a nice functionality called the buildmassstorage section, which is prepopulated with the -bmsd switch...  and when the reseal is working, it takes a long time (somehow because of the large  massstorage section)

Can you guys explain to me in detail what is done at that time? Or give me some link(s).

All available drivers in the [sysprepMassStorage] Section of sysprep.inf are put in the registry such as they will be loaded on next reboot. You can also put non-storage drivers in this section :thumbup , for example to load usb keyboard and mouse drivers which will often be a problem using sysprep.

P.S. one more question:  would it be possible to somehow check, before pnp enumeration, what hardware is actually in the machine?

For example by running a tool that lists all hwid's and then finds the drivers for those hwid's recursively within a BTS-drvpack-folders residing on a cd/hdd/network and "SetupCopyOEMInf-ing" only those drivers?

You could do this using devcon.exe, a tool from M$ that will list all devices in a PC.

DevCon.exe

I don't know however if it is possible to do it before pnp enumeration.

:blushing:

Ok, I don't fully understand this tool, but help me out here.

I use Bashrat's Drivers-From-CD method (outlined here) to install my drivers now.

My basic structure is like this:

i386

$OEM$

...|--Drivers

......|-- Laptop

.........|-- Audio

.........|-- Graphics

.........|-- Modem

......|-- PC

.........|-- Audio

.........|-- WLAN

And I use the 4 files listed in the above-linked post.

Will the tool in this post help me not need all of that? If so, what steps are needed to use this tool?

Or am I totally misunderstanding the purpose of this new tool?

Edited by a06lp

P.S. one more question:  would it be possible to somehow check, before pnp enumeration, what hardware is actually in the machine?

Anyone?

Thanx again!

Why don't you want to have all your drivers get recongnized by Windows? It's wonderful and only the setup information is passed to the Windows. No files are copied over in some way. '

The way I use the AutoIt script all drivers stay on CD. Theoraticly I could add a lot more drivers for hardware that doesn't even exist on my system. Then when I change my Hardware Configuration Windows will detect new hardware and ask for my driver cd. You also could use a network path, it's the same principe :)

I still think this should be the methode for most of Basrat's driver packs B)

Why don't you want to have all your drivers get recongnized by Windows? It's wonderful and only the setup information is passed to the Windows. No files are copied over in some way. '

The way I use the AutoIt script all drivers stay on CD. Theoraticly I could add a lot more drivers for hardware that doesn't even exist on my system. Then when I change my Hardware Configuration Windows will detect new hardware and ask for my driver cd. You also could use a network path, it's the same principe  :)

I still think this should be the methode for most of Basrat's driver packs B)

Well, because I'm not using unattended (scripting) method, but the sysprep (imaging) method. The company I work for has very heterogeneous hardware, but the unattended installation method is just too slow...

So what I'm trying to think of is a way NOT to re-image every single time I run into a (new) machine for which a massstorage driver is not yet incorporated in the image. As you know, massstorage drivers need to be present for the machine to even boot.

So my goal is to update the drivers(packs) on a network-share regularly and to have a regularly updated BartPE CD (with the latest masstorage/nic drivers) boot the machine and download/restore the universal image from a mounted image/drivers/scripts network-share to the harddisk after partitioning it. Then mount that local partition and detect all hwids of every piece of hardware that's actually in the machine. After that search for only the needed drivers and custom scripts on the netshare and incorporate them into that still unbooted hdd partition.

Incorporating the massstorage drivers into the deployed partition before Windows' boots from it, seems to be the most difficult task, but I think it's possible to script copying driver-file's to and editing the registry of the hdd-partition from within a running BartPE (pxe or CD).

Now, that's why my original question was: What exactly do I put/change in the registry and where do I put the driver files of the massstorage driver in the deployed hdd NTFS filesystem BEFORE windows is able to boot from it?

Running "sysprep -reseal", AFTER "sysprep -bmsd", does exactly what I need (I think), but I need to know WHAT sysprep actually does to the registry and what filecopying sysprep performs on its NTFS boot-partition for windows to be able to boot from it after deployment (on a different machine which possibly needs the newest scsi/raid/sata driver), because I CAN'T run sysprep again BETWEEN capturing and deploying; BartPE is evidently loaded at that time (and not the deployed os on hdd I'm trying to target for doing this on)

I know it all sounds pretty complicated, but I hope you get my idea. Let me know what you think how this can be done... preferably: "a better/easier way"... :D

Remember: regular re-imaging and/or unattended installs are NO OPTIONS for us :}

Edited by Scrapple

Could someone who is using Method 2, pyron's method + keeping the drivers post their presetup.cmd

I am quite confused in how to make BOTH drivers install during and install and after install to work.....

Can I just simply replace the line with pyron's setdevicepath with this new setupcopyoeminf and it will work during GUI install and keep the drivers during regular windows install?

Edited by JuMz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, if it was answered before but I can't find a clear description of using this tool also. I wonder if pyron's modified setup.exe needed for this method? I'm asking because using his set of files seems to influence running svcpack.inf: when I place a .cmd or .exe file in SVCPACK folder and add it in svcpack.inf it doesn't run, but it runs when I use "a clean" installation without modified setup.exe :(

Best regards,

Oleg 2