Which is better?

johnny_9x

I heard people claiming 98se rocks others say me .i no me got a bad rap but if u disable some things it works well,i no theres alot of new programs 4 98se sp2 98setome etc.but u tell me which versions better.BTW i use Xp pro so dont tell me 98 suks ok its a survey im doing 4 a good friend who is force to use 9x due to old pc P2-233mhx.

• 4 weeks later...

az dude,the topic is 98se or me,stay on topic plz.anyways 98 se is the better of the 2,it may be a bit older but there are sp's n stuff for it wheras with me there ain't much of anything for it,it is at best buggy,98 se is great once you tweak it n stuff but it can't compare to xp.

98se is best for a PC that slow (Me is all bloat and no action)

as for the XP dude, wtf are you doing hanging around in a Windows 95/98/98SE/ME forum,

go away, your opinion is not needed or wanted. :realmad:

as for the XP dude, wtf are you doing hanging around in a Windows 95/98/98SE/ME forum

Sorry, to set the record straight I am all for 98 and against XP. Right now I am using 98 SE on my Athlon 3400+ 1 GB PC with USP2.0, 98SE2ME, and Revolutions pack installed.

The "just install XP" comment was my sarcastic response to johnny_9x's quoted anti-98 comment. Fortunately he only posted 8 times before he was banned.

On that PC I would install 98se, ME has some advantages, but they are not needed and make the System very slow, I have installed Me on my Athlon 900 MHz due to recommendation from THIS forum, but only the faster Startup is the advantage to Me.

By the way, even if Off topic, try Windows 2000, because it has more support to recent Programs as Office 2003 and so.

But as answer to your question: Install Windows 98 SE.

azagahl,

Does your board let you have full Ms-Dos Mode use? I mean, with good real, extended and expanded memory available (if you set it for it)?

I ask, because on my Asus A7V880, Athlon 3200+, first I needed to ditch my Maxtor Sata drive and turn off the Sata Boot Rom in the Bios to get himem.sys to load without "unable to control line A20" showing up. It wouldn't do that normally, just if I put the dos memory optimizations in the config.sys for himem, dos=high,umb and emm386 RAM. And also if I did that on a boot disc. Either way I couldn't get a tiny bit of conv. or expanded memory until I used a regular IDE drive.

It also, even with the IDE drive where that problem went away, could not get the SBLive Dos Mode driver to be recognized by sbego or games. They couldn't find the IRQ it was on even when the driver was successfully loaded on 220 7 1 and I could hear the microphone working.

I talked with Asus tech's on the phone and they told me the board doesn't let you use the required non-maskable interrupts that the SBLive dos driver needs.

So, the board castraits Dos Mode. Yet they still say it's compatible with Windows 98SE! Heh, I don't call it compatible when something built in is not able to function! I ditched 98 on it and installed XP. Dosbox and vdmsound will suffice. I won't bother running a machine that doesn't allow all my dos games to still play.

I'm almost ready (parts arriving daily!) to set up my new board! I picked up an Asus A7V333 Revision 2.0 and bought an AthlonXP 3000+ and 512MB Crucial 2700 DDR for it. And, I can reserve an IRQ for non-maskable interrupts with it! Yippie! Speedy for games and video encoding and still runs dos. The dream machine (unless the thing was destroyed by a previous owner.) I'll be finding out soon. Bought an Asus Radeon 9550GE for it.

While I wait, I'm using my old Abit KT7A with a Voodoo 5 5500! 98 Rocks!

So, what board do you have and do you bother with dos on it?

Newer mobos with SATA/RAID/SCSI BIOSes + AMD/VIA chipsets are known to "lock" memory resources [otherwise available for good ol' DOS managers/programs/games], like A20 ["fast gate"] handler, D000-EFFF or smaller portions of upper memory area (UMA), etc.

That's because they presume nobody uses DOS nowadays, and don't care if DOS resources are needed or not.

If u have ever used UMBPCI.SYS, u know exactly what I'm talking about:

http://www.mdgx.com/umb.htm

It is known that UMBPCI can't work on most AMD/VIA based mobos because ISA DMA cache area [located in UMA] is not available in native MS-DOS. :(

My DOS 7.10 + Win98 SE PC is built using an old Abit BE6-II mobo with an Intel 440BX chipset, 1 of the last they made 100% compatible with DOS based memory managers/programs/devices/TSRs.

I still have a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold "stuck" in an ISA slot, for those cool DOS games, and a Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 3Dfx Voodoo2 PCI TV single slot SLI card mainly to play Outlaws, Rebel Assault + Rogue Squadron in Glide(3dfx) glory. :)

Not to forget the original X-Wing + TIE Fighter [also by Lucas Arts] which require EMS [Expanded Memory Specifications] enabled in native MS-DOS and at least 608 KB of conventional memory for stereo audio and VGA 600x400. :yes:

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I had forgotten all about this thread.

Awesome old machine you've got there.

Remember when I talked about playin' with my SiS5598 Asus Spax-m HP Pavilion 4430/40 board? Well the reason I bought a couple of them (so cheap!) was originally to see if they could be set up as my old dos machine.

This plan failed as the ISA slots on these boards will not process any sound! PCI audio works fine, and the ISA slots work fine too, but not for any audio. I thought it might have been a bad board, but I found the same thing with the 2 new ones. I tried an ISA Modem hooked through with the cable to a couple of different PCI sound cards and couldn't get modem audio. I tried my SB16 Advanced Wave Effects ISA card and couldn't get sound out of it either. Both of these things work perfectly on my Abit KT7A board's ISA slot so I know it's not a card or driver problem. The audio is just dead for some reason by default, out of the ISA slots. This, using either an AMD K6-2 300 or 366 processors.

The only real expense to my experiment was the Crucial memory. I needed new sticks unless I was going to pull the ram from my original one. It cost as much as it originally did back in 1999! (I had upgraded the original 32MB to 256MB way back then.) The other stuff cost some money but not much. I had enough parts lying around unused that work fine.

I've had enough of this for now, but I did take note of the hardware you've got. Perhaps someday, but I doubt it. It's my hobby but I also prioritize. Hunting down and putting together something like this might be kind of fun, but also completely unnecessary. It's interesting to read about though!

And thanks for confirming the suspicions I had about the newer boards. And yet they claim compatibility with Windows 98SE! To me, that means Ms-Dos 7.1 too. But I guess it doesn't mean that to the manufacturors. It's nice to see it spelled out in black and white. When I talked to an Asus tech on the phone he just had an annoyed,"No, you can't do that," for me. No specifics. Heh, heh, even the tech at CompUSA was exasperated when I told him I couldn't believe they don't even carry one plain old mouse with a cord and a ball so I would be sure it would work in Ms-Dos Mode. He said,"What in the world do you use Ms-Dos Mode for!." Another company still carried them. (Nice of him. He told me where I could try.)

I also think fast processors confuse Ms-Dos as well. I'm noticing games crashing where they didn't before on my slower boxes. One tried to give a message but it was hidden behind the crashed game. It started,"Your Proc..." I'm finding that with that, and with the winoldap crap, it's easier even on 98 to run them on Dosbox. Funny that that thing would just love a zillion gig processor but plain old Dos farts out!

Cool games there too! Go Star Wars!