Pro, Srv & Adv-Srv: ONE CD

Spyder2k

Here's the deal, I've recently come across a CD (No not a DVD) with 2000 Professional, 2000 Server and 2000 Advanced Server on it. Upon boot it prompts for the desired setup. It uses the boot folder method detailed in flyakite's guide, however the i386 folder for each of the mentioned folders is present with a total size of 1.17 GB. It's not overburned because the actual used disc space is 486 MB.

My guess is it's a sort of file system trick, based upon the fact that the i386 folder for these three OSs are very much similar. So my Theory is that the i386 folder (or probably just the similar files in there) are written to the disc only once and the filesystem records of the files present are manipulated to point various files to the same sector, eg

while the files

"\ENGLISH\WIN2000\ADV_SERV\setup.exe" and

"\ENGLISH\WIN2000\PRO\setup.exe" are read from different sectors on the disc i.e sector 1 and sector 2 respectively as is normal, files

"\ENGLISH\WIN2000\ADV_SERV\i386\MSI.DL_" and

"\ENGLISH\WIN2000\PRO\i386\MSI.DL_" are both read from the same sector on the disc i.e. sector 3

That's just my theory. Does anyone know how this is done as I'm sure alot including myself would be interested in recreating such a CD/DVD?

• 3 weeks later...