What Would Another Os Need To Make U Dump Windoze

FthrJACK

I personally use windows because for me theres no vialble alternatives. i hate macs, awfull things. i like linux but it is too much hard work sometimes, eg, ill use one distro but it wont play movies no matter what i do, but another distro will, but have no sound, etc etc, the common issues people have with it. Also i love my games, no way could i cope without the new releases of games that come out for windows.

a rival OS would have to resolve these issues to make me swap, and i would drop MS in a heart beat.

what (even if you like windows) would a rival OS have to offer to make you swap over?

Yes...I truly believe that somebody can come behind M$ and write a better OS but money for R&D is an obvious issue. I would have to say that an OS would have to be developed that will support all M$ stuff until better stuff is produced. Remember, we had this battle before when all the OS makers were fighting to make their product #1. Nobody was willing to share their compatibility so we were faced with choosing a system and any software that you bought had to work for that particular machine. Now it's just down to Mac and M$ but even some compromises had to be made by Mac to run M$ stuff.

I want stability...faster boot time...easy gui...and even if it is just as good but not better than M$...CHEAPER!!! That is the huge key to it all.

Rick :)

It would have to be as stable as WinXP or better.

Half the price of WinXP.

It would have to be compatible with 3rd party apps.

There are investors and developers and there are programmers and there are marketers for software. No money will be made if the software is not compatible with Windows. Period. That is why Windows dominates the market and that is why investors seek developers that program software to be Windows compatible.

Linux will not rule in our life-time for the above reasons, IMHO. Lindows may and thats a big "may" compete with Windows in the area of operating systems, Wallmart PCs for example, but will not rule the mainstream market for the lack of integrated office suites also developed by Lindows, IMHO.

So, is Lindows as stable as 2K and XP? Does it cost half as much as XP? Does it have integrated office suites also made by Lindows?

Well, 2 out of 3, should make M$ start worrying.

Compatability with software and hardware.In order to recieve the full experience with an operating system like xp you have to get good hardware if not excellent hardware.And of course software needs to be updated.I believe that xp will only get better with the changes being met by computer manufacturers,and cooperation by M$.Linux has a way to go for this to happen.So unless someone comes up with an operating system that I can just set my bios to boot cdrom first and it installs with no issues more than xp and that ain't gonna happen real soon.Try to install Linux,it can be fun and challenging but you won't get everything you have with xp.Spending money on software and hardware on your new computer is what makes the tech world go round.Merry Christmas and Happy Honniker(don't know how to spell it at this time)