windows 98 and wireless internet

jackinlondon

hello, i hav been asked to help a friend to upgrade his ageing system and im not too good with teh software side of things and im unsure as to whether windows 98 will support a wireless internet connection or whether i will have to upgrade the verison of windows being used. if anyone can shed some light on this i will be very grateful

jack

I am pretty sure it should not be a problem.

First, check different wireless routers (assuming a router would be connected to a cable/dsl modem...). The router itself would not need sw on a pc, but the wireless card would....so,

then check for the different wireless cards to go along with your preferred router. Check the manufacturer website and verify there are W98SE drivers for the card. I think in almost 100% of the time, there should be drivers for the wireless card.

If so, then you could use it with 98SE...I would think...

Windows 98 should have no problems with a wireless setup, however there is a fair possibility that an older machine (depends on how old) will not be able to handle the wireless hardware. I have tried wireless cards on a few older pc's and a number of them failed to even boot because the wifi card spec is to high for the motherboard.