Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Hobbyist with attitude

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

tbs

tbs

• 32 posts
OK, I’m no doubt going to get flamed to hell for writing this, fools rush in…

I understand fully why wraith has become fed up with those who could not make it past the eula or post questions without reading this site or the documentation. I’ve been dropping in here for about a year or so, have a very low post count and an xploded (ver 1.1.2) xp dvd of 3+ gigs. I’ve no prior scripting/programming experience but plenty of patience and a willingness to learn. Xplode has been a lot of fun.

I checked in today to see if a new version, (with file I/O) was available but sadly the download has been pulled for all ‘hobbyists’. It’s wraith’s call, but is it not storing up problems for v5 if users can’t get hold of v4 and learn that first?

This is not a plea for v4, I’ll wait for v5 and tackle the problems I have with it the same way I’ve done so far. I feel in many ways xplode is a victim of its own success, the wider the user base, the more ‘dumb’ questions/users you’re going to get. It’s a shame a few members lack the maturity to respect the author of this great program, some of the posts directed at wraith are just insulting, others make me laugh because I’ve been here long enough to know what’s coming next, the ones that get the downloads pulled – they just depress me.

If you are new to this forum, - and have read this far -, please give wraith and the other gurus on this board a break and do some work with xplode before posting. The rest of us hobbyists are looking to develop our understanding and abilities, don’t hold us back.

Thanks to all who make this site the great source of information it is, cheers wraith – don’t let the h*bbyists get you down!

tbs.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
The main problem with this, atleast the current situation... is that people could not do the ONE thing the author requested. Answering questions related to syntax error or such, I have no problem answering. But when the author tells you to read the EULA, and you don't, then you shouldn't use the program. I personally like Wraith's new idea on how to deploy XPlode, and we'll see how that goes.

But seriously, concerning the whole EULA thing. After the 200th post of people saying "I've read the EULA, but the button doesn't activate" Wraith just got fed up and posted a screen shot of what to click to activate the button. But wait, people STILL asked saying they read the thing? SOme people MIGHT have had legitimate problems, but without proper proof, or what you have done to your system, then it's user error and as such user fault.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
I know there are going to be a whole horde of problems associated with X5.
I have a few ideas how I'm going to alleviate it, but a lot of it is up in the air at the moment.
I've had ideas for X5 bouncing around in my head for a while, and while I think I've come up with a final solution, I'm not entirely sure how long it'll take to implement, nor where I'll find the time.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Maelstorm

Maelstorm

AT Field Pattern Blue

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
As a software developer, the one thing that I find most insulting and infurirating is that the user complains about some issue in the program that you wrote and that issue was covered in the documentation that you provided with the program. If I took the time to write the documentation, then the user should at least take the time to read it before bugging the author. That is what it's there for. If someone has a problem that is covered by the docs, then they will be ignored, completely, utterly, and with prejiduce. No answer to their posts or anything. Unless of course a bug is found, which is a different story.

Wraith, I don't blame you one bit for being p*ss*d off at these incompetent fools who cannot read something as simple as a EULA, which is the one thing that you have asked them to do before using your program. If it was me, then I would add something else to make them read the documentation before they use it. At least it will act as an intelligence test to see if they can figure out how use the program.

Hardline attitude? You bet, and I will not appologize for it either. If you want to use my program, they you will have to prove to me that you read the documentation before I help you.
MAELSTORM

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

<...>
At least it will act as an intelligence test to see if they can figure out how use the program.
<...>
If you want to use my program, they you will have to prove to me that you read the documentation before I help you.
<...>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You go girl! :P

PRECISELY why I made the EULA the way it is.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Maelstorm

Maelstorm

AT Field Pattern Blue

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

You go girl! :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um... I'm Male.
MAELSTORM

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
ROFLOL :)
CDswitch - Making CD/DVD-switching fun. / VMcleaner - Cleaning your virtual memory by killing unnecessary tasks
WinampUser - Silently install multiuser functionality for Winamp / OfficeExec - Installing Office at T-12/cmdlines.txt
Dropper - Changing file properties by drag-'n-dropping (not for unattended use)

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
Jeez... nobody can take a joke... ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
Wraith, I feel your pain.

I'm betting nuhi does too :P
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

tbs

tbs

• 32 posts
Wraith, I do hope you find the time – I really need an excuse to update my pc.

I missed the screen shot posted, I never had a problem with the EULA/activation thing though, makes me wonder how some people make it through the day.

Reading documentation? I don’t think this will ever improve. I belong to a few forums and always there are posters who never rtfm. I even have (intelligent) friends who would rather wait a few days and ask me a question than go start/help & support.

Maybe with X5 a download could be made available, can’t get through the EULA – download this file and solve all you xplode worries, ;)

Anyway, it’s Friday night - I’m off to find my partners F1 button, seems I’ve violated the EULA, don’t you just hate those supplemental agreements….

Maelstorm

Maelstorm

AT Field Pattern Blue

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Jeez... nobody can take a joke... ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I got the joke. I decided to be hardnosed about it.
:P :whistle:
MAELSTORM

Chris242

Chris242

• 20 posts
Wraith, just think... If you made your application id*** proof only idiots would use it, and that’s not the case at all! Your application attracts smart intelligent people who respect the hard work and effort put in to XPlode.

I for one have not had the chance to use your application but I really can't wait. I'm to the point of being excited about this release. And because of my enthusiasm I am going to request if I could be put on some type of list for notification.

Even though I haven't had the opportunity to use XPlode I look forward to the next release. Good luck and Godspeed on your mission for accomplishment.

:thumbup

Lost Soul

Lost Soul

Snap ... Crackle ... Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
lol@joke

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But, it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

- Winston Churchill

djbe

djbe

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
Huh?

I really don't get the people that asked those questions about the eula :P First time I tried Xplode that eula appeared, read it and whopa, no problems at all... So all those people that ask those questions can't read? :D
AMD 3500+ (Winchester) @ 2.64Ghz :: 4 x 512 MB PC3200 @ 2-8-3-3-2
Asus GeForce 6800GT 256MB :: Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard
Maxtor 160GB x 2 Raid 0 :: DVD Writer + DVD Reader

LameBMX

LameBMX
  • 7 posts
Ive only owned a computer for about 2 years now, so I am a complete and total noob.

But even I wonder how a TEXT based internet can attract so many illiterate people.

Thats just my 2 cents. I never even tried XPlode, but in this thread I felt your pain.

Angeryguy

Angeryguy
  • 1 posts
I did not read the EULA i just used winrar to extract the files :whistle:

BAM

BAM

Just me!

• PipPip
  • 203 posts
@Angeryguy
Now this is what i call a ...dunno what to call it!

When you did that, had to enter a password.
If you did not enter a right one, all you have are 0 byte sized file's!! Completely useless!
Either way, Don't post these st#pid things.
" Send your impulse 'round the world
Put your message in a modem
And throw it in the cyber sea "
[ song: Virtuality by Rush ]

S0mE0nesMiNd1

S0mE0nesMiNd1

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
No - just right click the main file - and click extract here. Works like a charm, although if you go through that to not read the EULA - your just pathetic.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
Yeah, that is pathetic.

And they just postponed the release of XPlode 4.2, which I had planned to make available this afternoon.

Oh well, doesn't worry me. I don't have to wait for myself to release it.

*wanders off to format*
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Yeah, that is pathetic.

And they just postponed the release of XPlode 4.2, which I had planned to make available this afternoon.

*wanders off to format*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

gummy2

gummy2

• 23 posts
pathetic well I had to look up that word and yes it is miserably inadequate if people just read it says click here and when you are on it, its underlined and ya mouse pointer turns to a hand, and I was waiting quietly for the next release of XPlode , well I will wait some more XPlode is worth the wait

nite0859

nite0859

Professional Slacker

• 34 posts

Yeah, that is pathetic.

*wanders off to format*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

Silvas Ilcanjaro

Silvas Ilcanjaro
  • 1 posts
Hey, here's an idea... put the download back up, when someone clicks to download, it goes to a EULA page, the same as the software extraction, and they have to do the same thing to get the file to download as they do to get it to extract. Then just ignore all posts about not being able to download...
:P :whistle:

At least that way, the people who are plagued with ID10T errors can be pointedly ignored, while the people who actually make an attempt to use the brain they were born with can still get the software and not have to suffer for the ignorance of the rest of 'puter users.

Actually I blame it all on Microsoft... Back in the day, people had to actually ::gasp:: learn how to use a computer in order to do anything worthwhile...
Then MS and major software developers decided it was a grand idea to make computers easier to use... wow, what a pandora's box. They dumbed computers down so people could use them (and more people would use them, and the corporations would make more money), which only served to take away the incentive to LEARN how to use a computer. This set the precedent. Now that the stupid people could use computers for basic tasks without having to become intelligent and learn, they wanted more. They wanted to be able to do more advanced things without having to learn. Unfortunately, in their infinite greed, the companies gave the masses their wish, and dumbed things down even more. Which took away even more incentive to use the brain and learn. On and on and on. In today's lazy society, if you don't give people an incentive to learn or force them to, they won't. It's an endless downward spiral that is only enhancing the problem of human stupidity.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
I have another idea.

And it'll be done soon. Hopefully.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
Enough
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN