Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SFXCAB.EXE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Innocent Devil

Innocent Devil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 04-February 05
Dows any one know how to create m$ SFXCAB archive (like the hotfixes and SPs m$ release) that support /integrate switch ? is there any program available ?
"The level of security that Vista is trying to achieve to protect video and audio is more extreme than anything the US government has ever considered necessary for protecting its most sensitive classified data."

Read Full Article @ [A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection]

Don't be lame [Linux is NOT Windows]

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05
Hi,

SFXCAB's are created only by Microsoft, and there are no tools, no documentation or anything else available to help others create SFXCAB's. :no:

The /integrate option btw is passed to UPDATE.EXE, which then examines the UPDATE.INF and does the slipstream - SFXCAB.EXE doesn't do much itself really. /integrate will FAIL if UPDATE.INF is not "signed" - that is, if it does not contain a reference to a Microsoft signed .CAT file with a checksum of the .INF itself. You'll need to "help" UPDATE.EXE overcome this and similar other "shortcomings" just to make it do anything at all btw. :yes:

Is /integrate the only reason that you want to create SFXCAB's in the first place? :blink:

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer

T D

T D

Go MSFN!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Joined 05-April 06
Sorry for the late post, but it's only now I stumbled upon this topic on google.

You'll need to "help" UPDATE.EXE overcome this and similar other "shortcomings" just to make it do anything at all btw.

How do we 'help' update.exe? Because executing i386\update\update.exe /Integrate:D:\XP fails and says that you need to use /integrate with the original package.
Thanks.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04
I wonder if you have tried using the latest version of UPDATE.EXE if that one fixed your "/integrate" problems.

scratch that. i take that back. maybe the only to overcome the update.exe problem is to have MS digitally sign your package so that they can create a CAT file for it. that might be next to impossible.

Edited by erpdude8, 30 June 2006 - 04:33 PM.

eryen

eryen

Junior

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 23-December 05
How to creat SFXCAB file.

1. Hex edit one update file. Delete after MSCF part. So u have sfx module. lets name it cab.sfx
2. Compress all folder or files with make cab. lets name it files.cab
3. copy /b cab.sfx+files.cab files.exe
4. Hex edit to run files after extract. For example. u want to run setup.exe
Search setup.exe in files.exe.
There is 20 00 in front of setup.exe
Chance it to 60 00.

Done.
Run your sfx cab file.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

you mean "create", eryen. you've gotta use some spellcheck in your post.

1. Hex edit one update file. Delete after MSCF part. So u have sfx module. lets name it cab.sfx

you mean makecab.exe

Chance it to 60 00.

Done.
Run your sfx cab file.

okay. since I may want to create SFXCAB like NT4 packages, can I use hotfix.exe instead of setup.exe listed in step 4?

eryen

eryen

Junior

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 23-December 05
Yep u can use any kind of program to run after decompress.

just edit HEX:20 00 to HEX:60 00 in front of your program.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04
So far, eryen, your method of creating SFXCAB files has NOT worked. Running the SFXCAB file that I created produced "File is corrupt" error message. :(

Hex edit one update file. Delete after MSCF part.

What MSCF part? There is more than one instance of MSCF. Look in any NT-based update file in Notepad or Wordpad (or even in a hex editor like XVI32) and you will find that there are three instances of "MSCF". So which MSCF part do I delete? Look very carefully.

Edited by erpdude8, 27 February 2008 - 10:01 AM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04
thanks. I'm still getting "File is corrupt" error message when running the SFXCAB file I made. already hexed 20 00 to 60 00 in front of hotfix.exe.

Compress all folder or files with make cab. lets name it files.cab

what about using CABARC.EXE to make CAB files? Seems to be easier than using MAKECAB.EXE.

Also, have you tested your own methods of making SFXCAB files on an NT-based Windows computer and did it work or not?

Edited by erpdude8, 27 February 2008 - 02:33 PM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

what about using CABARC.EXE to make CAB files? Seems to be easier than using MAKECAB.EXE.

Ok. I finally got my SFXCAB file to work now, eryen. I had problems creating CAB files with MAKECAB.EXE, so I used CABARC.EXE instead. The CAB file I created needed to be created using LZX:21 compression with CABARC.EXE. Then I copied your SFX file with the CAB file (compressed with LZX:21 compression) and then hexed "20 00" to "60 00" before the hotfix.exe file and now running the SFXCAB file works.

thanks for the MSCF.SFX file. It's version 6.1.22.4. Other versions of SFXCAB.EXE don't seem to work for me while the one you posted worked well.

Edited by erpdude8, 27 February 2008 - 03:05 PM.

eryen

eryen

Junior

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 23-December 05
Oh ye. i see now.

There is at least three type of fsx for cab file.
The one i send here working good.
One from IE7 updates can extract file but not running setup. And another one give me allways error.

Lucky me. Found good one at first run.

Edited by eryen, 04 March 2008 - 02:08 AM.

dragon695

dragon695
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 12-March 08

Oh ye. i see now.

There is at least three type of fsx for cab file.
The one i send here working good.
One from IE7 updates can extract file but not running setup. And another one give me allways error.

Lucky me. Found good one at first run.

Did you know that someone in the "hotstream" project on this board actually got their grubby paws on the actual sfxcab.exe utility? It's really irritating, because he says he won't share it.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

Did you know that someone in the "hotstream" project on this board actually got their grubby paws on the actual sfxcab.exe utility? It's really irritating, because he says he won't share it.

and who exactly what that person be, dragon695? [name please]

maybe because that person is not authorized by M$ to share the tool. B)
oh well

Edited by erpdude8, 04 February 2010 - 11:51 AM.

manu2k10

manu2k10
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 22-August 10
Hey everyone,

I'm trying the hex editing trick with a program called HxD. But I always get "C:\...\.exe is not a valid Win32 application".

I even took the sfx from this thread (the rapidshare link) and i did "copy /b mscf.sfx+...." and made an EXE. Then I hex edit that with HxD and make it identical to mscf.sfx that I downloaded from here and it works perfectly.

So why won't it work when I try to get the MSCF.SFX from Windows xp sp2 update file or internet explorer 8? both those use SFXCAB but I can't make it work.

Any help please?

cy06

cy06
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 11-June 11
how to create ie8-windowsxp-x86-chs.exe 6.3.0015.0 built by: dnsrv

planggdo

planggdo
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11
How can i get to start the hotfix.exe? :rolleyes:

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Sfxcab.exe cannot be obtained in a legal way so in order to make a hotfix just follow the tips given above. WildBill wrote a quick manual too.

11. Replace update\update.exe with one from any of the releases I uploaded -- mine will let you install an unsigned update, the one from MS won't.
12. Compress your files:

cabarc -m LZX:21 -p -r N ..\outfile.cab *.*

13. Patch the created .cab file so that it knows to execute update.exe. You'll need a hex editor for this (e.g. xvi32). Look for the update\update.exe entry toward the beginning of the file. Before it there should be a 20h byte. Change that to 60h which will flag it as an auto-execute file.
14. Prepend the MSCF.sfx file before the .cab file to make an installer:

copy /b MSCF.sfx + outfile.cab outfile.exe

15. Rename outfile.exe to something appropriate to the patch and language:

ren outfile.exe Windows2000-KB######-x86-XXX.exe

post-47483-1123010975.png

maheep

maheep

• 24 posts
  • Joined 31-July 10
Hello people, could anyone post the link to wildbill's update.exe for windows xp. Also i need some help regarding update.ver file in a sfxcab package
regards...

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
You can download any WildBill's update for Windows 2000 and extract update.exe from there. It's the same for 2K/XP. The other way is trying to use updfx021.lzh to patch the update.exe yourself.

Update.ver doesn't seem to matter AT ALL. It can be empty and the update still installs/slipstreams fine. The one that matters is update.inf.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I want to add one thing about update.ver. As I said before it doesn't seem to play any role but still the file itself MUST be present in the update folder. I also said it could be empty but in reality in MUST have at least the line:

[SourceFilesInfo]

I hope everything is clear now :P

Edited by tomasz86, 25 June 2011 - 03:12 AM.

maheep

maheep

• 24 posts
  • Joined 31-July 10
Thanx a lot for quick reply. I shall post some other versions of sfxcab modules soon.

I was also able to apply Wildbill's patch to the latest release of Update.exe (the one with IE8 update package) and it works awesome. I was able to do a full slipstream.
Checkup MSFN for updates !!

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Instead of using WildBill's update.exe or BlackWingCat's patch you can just edit the file yourself.

Open update.exe in hex editor and replace the string 0f 86 -> 90 e9

Posted Image

You can do it for any language version while WildBill's update.exe is in English only (althought can be used for other languages too but the installer will be in English).

And below you can see how to make "multilanguage" update.exe (thanks to BlackWingCat).

Posted Image

74 -> eb and the modified update.exe doesn't check the language settings from update.inf which can actually be very useful when making multilanguage unofficial updates (some system files are language neutral)

and the last, I found Chinese / Taiwanese boards where there seem to be a lot of useful information about modifying M$ udpates. Have a look at this thread

http://bbs.wmzhe.com...age=1#pid147152

where you can see how to make MSCF.sfx.

Is here anyone able to download the files available at this forum?

http://www.pczone.co...hread/3/152921/

I even managed to register there but I'm still unable to download :/ They say that b.exe is sfxcab.exe.

Edited by tomasz86, 02 July 2011 - 07:46 AM.

maheep

maheep

• 24 posts
  • Joined 31-July 10
:whistle: To make an SFX Module for yourself, I suggest that you use PE Explorer to hack the Resources of this module (the one posted by on the previous page). I was unable to get it working with Resource Hacker, probably, because the module has been extracted from an update, which is digitally signed by Microsoft. If it is reshacked, it will produce an error.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by maheep, 25 August 2011 - 07:37 PM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Edit: Updated information available in #31.

Edited by tomasz86, 16 April 2013 - 12:50 PM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

Chance it to 60 00.

Done.
Run your sfx cab file.

new steps to create SFXCAB packages, but this time it now requires using PE Explorer (just use a demo version of it or google search for PE Explorer portable - PE Explorer ain't free) as maheep suggested to modify the resources, which is necessary for your sfxcab package to actually work.

1. hex edit an sfxcab based update file and remove anything from the MSCF section onward. rename it to cab.sfx
2. compress whatever files with Cabarc.exe using LZX:21 compression option (don't bother using makecab.exe). name the created cabinet file as files.cab
3. run copy /b cab.sfx+files.cab files.exe
4. hex edit files.exe. if you want to run update.exe, look for update.exe in files.exe and search for hex values "20 00" in front of update.exe. change 20 to 60 and save changes.
5. open files.exe in PE Explorer, correct the "raw data values" by clicking Yes and use the Save As command from the File menu to save changes [if you don't use PE Explorer to fix the raw data values of your newly created sfxcab package and you try to run it, you will get a "not a valid win32 application" error message]
6. after correcting the raw data values of files.exe in PE explorer, run files.exe and test it.

Edited by erpdude8, 03 August 2012 - 08:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users