How to creat SFXCAB file.
1. Hex edit one update file. Delete after MSCF part. So u have sfx module. lets name it cab.sfx
2. Compress all folder or files with make cab. lets name it files.cab
3. copy /b cab.sfx+files.cab files.exe
4. Hex edit to run files after extract. For example. u want to run setup.exe
Search setup.exe in files.exe.
There is 20 00 in front of setup.exe
Chance it to 60 00.
Run your sfx cab file.
new steps to create SFXCAB packages, but this time it now requires using PE Explorer (just use a demo version of it or google search for PE Explorer portable - PE Explorer ain't free) as maheep suggested to modify the resources, which is necessary for your sfxcab package to actually work.
1. hex edit an sfxcab based update file and remove anything from the MSCF section onward. rename it to cab.sfx
2. compress whatever files with Cabarc.exe using LZX:21 compression option (don't bother using makecab.exe). name the created cabinet file as files.cab
3. run copy /b cab.sfx+files.cab files.exe
4. hex edit files.exe. if you want to run update.exe, look for update.exe in files.exe and search for hex values "20 00" in front of update.exe. change 20 to 60 and save changes.
5. open files.exe in PE Explorer, correct the "raw data values" by clicking Yes and use the Save As command from the File menu to save changes [if you don't use PE Explorer to fix the raw data values of your newly created sfxcab package and you try to run it, you will get a "not a valid win32 application" error message]
6. after correcting the raw data values of files.exe in PE explorer, run files.exe and test it.
Edited by erpdude8, 03 August 2012 - 08:44 AM.