1. Get the latest release of the SP.
2. Compare what files are localized in the installation (or on Windows 98 SE CD-ROM).
3. Get localized updates (MDGx's Links and Resources about Win98 SE). Hotfixes can be obtained from Microsoft directly.
4a. Localize updates that are not available in the proper language.
4b. Leave in English what is not necessary to localize.
4c. Leave older version.
5. Patch SHELL32.DLL, EXPLORER.EXE.
6. Add files with local resources: JSxx.DLL, SCOxx.DLL, SCRRNxx.DLL, VBSxx.DLL to SP2 folder and WSHxx.DLL to SUPP folder and edit SCR56.INF.
7. Edit "Second Edition" string in bitmaps if desired - it means in LOGO.SYS and one resource in EXPLORER.EXE.
8. Translate INFEX.INI.
9. Translate LICENSE.TXT
10. Localize SPUPDATE.INF.
11. Change LANG in INF files.
12. Edit information in sespxxx.sed, 20sp2.ddf and 20supp.ddf files if necessary.
12. Build SP2.CAB and SUPP.CAB files with MAKECAB utility. (Example: makecab /f 20sp2.ddf).
13. Copy the list of files in SLAYOUT1.INF and SLAYOUT2.INF from files layout1_auto.inf and layout2_auto.inf created by MAKECAB.
14. Build the SP with IEXPRESS utility.
* IEAK6 SP1 contains MAKECAB for creating cabinets and IEXPRESS for creating installation packages. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ieak/down...6/ieak6sp1.mspx
* For patching of files:
- 32-bit PE files (most executables):
- Restorator: http://www.bome.com/Restorator/ , 2005 version is able to edit also version information.
- ResHacker: http://www.users.on....resourcehacker/.
- 16-bit NE files (user.exe, gdi.exe) - I have used eXeScope http://hp.vector.co....5/emysoft.htm#6 and LCID and CodePage has to be edited manually. For SYSDM.CPL is necessary to use special procedure described by eGo®Z. SYSDM.CPL is available directly from Microsoft for most languages anyway.
- 16-bit LE files (.VXD, .386) - I know no resource editor. The have localizable strings in 1000h byte blocks, one to three, the length is at addresses 015C, 0174, 019C with exception of VMM.VXD. At address 0138 is pointer to version information, 013C is the length of version information resource.
There are plenty of hex editors, I like WinHex: http://www.x-ways.ne...ex/index-m.html
- Other executables - KEYB.COM, IO.SYS - have easy to find and replace strings, each resource starts and ends with the length. IO.SYS contains routine for YES/NO evaluation in FDISK and FORMAT.COM, so localization is very useful. Warning: 311561xxx8 contains not localized IO.SYS, even though it is called "localized" - at least for Czech version.
- I have already mentioned several useful plugins for Total Commander (MSI, ISO, fileinfo) - they can be found at http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm
Note to Metapad:
In some languages, the fonts are not displayed correctly for accented characters. This can be solved by using limited version MetapadLE.
Localization of Metapad is done by language dlls and can be built in the NOTEPAD.INF file as follows:
[DefaultInstall] SmartReboot = N CopyFiles = Copy.Machine AddReg = AddReg.Config [DestinationDirs] Copy.Machine = 10 [Copy.Machine] Notepad.exe,Metapad.exe,,4 Mpad35cz.dll,,,4 [AddReg.Config] HKU,".Default\Software\metapad","szLangPlugin",,"%10%\mpad35cz.dll" HKU,".Default\Software\metapad","FileFilter",,"Všechny soubory (*.*)|*.*|Textové soubory (*.txt)|*.txt|HTML (*.html; *.htm)|*.html;*.htm|Zdrojové kódy (*.c; *.cpp; *.h; *.java)|*.c;*.cpp;*.h;*.java|Všechny vyjmenované typy|*.txt;*.htm;*.html;*.c;*.cpp;*.h;*.java" HKU,".Default\Software\metapad","nSelectionMarginWidth",65537,00,00,00,00 HKU,".Default\Software\metapad","nSecondaryFont",65537,01,00,00,00 HKU,".Default\Software\metapad","SecondaryFont"=1,f3,ff,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,90,01,00,\ 00,00,00,00,ee,03,02,01,31,43,6f,75,72,69,65,72,20,4e,65,77,00,72,20,4e,65,\ d4,34,ec,81,28,85,f7,78,00,00,00,00,bf,59,c4,84
(This is for "cz" version, proper content of "FileFilter" and other registry keys can be obtained by configurig the Metapad manually and then reading the registry content.)
Note to Tvviewer:
Not all international Windows Versions contain Web TV for Windows, then it is good to remove the following files from all inf and ddf configuration files:
Annclist.exe Enhtrig.dll Nabtsfec.sys
because they don't exist on the installation CD.
Hope this helps.
Petr & Gape
This post has been edited by Petr: 04 December 2005 - 03:52 AM