Listing all available drivers

Michael_W

Hello everyone,

I was wondering. Is there a way to list all available drivers on XP? So, not only the installed drivers, but also the once that have been made available to the PNP Manager. For example all drivers that are stored in c:\Windows\Inf... What I would like to do is list all the display names of all drivers.

Thanks to anyone that replies.

Michael

You could create a script that displays all DRIVER NAMES, that wouldn't be too hard. (like nvatabus.sys, atapi.sys, nvapu.sys, etc.) But if you would like to list the NAMES OF THE HARDWARE, that would be alot more difficult.

May I ask WHY exactly you would like to do this? I don't see any possible point/use...

Hi,

Thanks for your response!! The reason that I want to do this is that I would like to see what drivers are available on a default installation of XP. I need this information so I can compare it to some device that need to be connected.... Normally I would lookup those device in the XP HCL, but that has been "merged" into the Windows Catalog...

if there is any other option... Then please let me know

Michael

Just one year ago I had the same question:

If I want to integrate a driver in to the unattended setup cd, but dont know if the Windows Xo or the new SP1 or the later SP2 comes with native support?

My first reaktion was:

1) get the hardware ID of the driver to be integrated(eg. PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1234)

2) extract all files in the driver.cab, sp1.cab and later sp2.cab into a new dir.

3) do a search for the files *.inf, containing the text of our hardware IDs:

if found, the windows xp has the driver/support alread,

if not found, we need to integrate it into $OEM$\$1\Drivers

But this method did not work - step 3) gives always negative answer regardless what you looking for. So I had to do a workaround:

3) copy(merge) all *.inf into a big .inf file, for SP2 we get a 38MB .inf file, then

4) do a search in the big .inf file for the string of our hardware ID

This works for me - till now.

Important: list all the device names of windows xp supported hardware does not solve my problem. Newer hardware may have the same name but another "SUBSYS_########" or ""REV_##"