Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPlode 4.3.50711.1385

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

S0mE0nesMiNd1

S0mE0nesMiNd1

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
So if I am understanding this correctly, my XPCD will become obsolete after 3 weeks?

Edited by Wraith, 17 July 2005 - 07:04 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
Indeed.

From experience, 99% of the hobbyists that use XPlode rebuild their CD's just before they format. Thus three weeks will suffice.

That is, assuming you build your XPCD the same day as an XPlode build.
XPlode will be rebuilt each Wednesday morning here, and I'm sure everyone's figured out how to tell what date XPlode was built on.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

IceBlackIce

IceBlackIce

• PipPip
  • 127 posts
If that is how it has to be ... ok.
I can see why you have come this and understand your position.
Now:

Questions:
1 - The diferences between the builds are only that? I mean...no features added to different builds?

Feature Requests:
1 - I really like the information bar thingie...maybe you could make the item getting installed appear there, everytime it changes.

Bugs:
1 - I pinpointed (sp?) the sidebar issue...you were right...it follows the items being installed BUT if the item is not selected it will stay there until the next one that is selected, if none is the sidebar wont move.

Hope to being usefull.

S0mE0nesMiNd1

S0mE0nesMiNd1

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
I honestly dont know why this is being done. And I can already tell you I wont be able to stand it. Is there anyway (although this is not for a corporate business), a way I can pay for the corporate version?

BAM

BAM

Just me!

• PipPip
  • 203 posts
I'm sorry to see this happening here..
I go along with S0mE0nesMiNd1.
Agreed completly with you that it has been very frustrating, but like this?

No, but sadly i'm forced now to step back from it.
Allways tried to help if i could, post correct etc etc.. (and with me a lot of good msfn people)

I'm not a corporate institution, to bad i lose this nice updated tool.
" Send your impulse 'round the world
Put your message in a modem
And throw it in the cyber sea "
[ song: Virtuality by Rush ]

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts
i too dont understand why it expires after x amount of time, thus not making the free version free correct?
Posted Image Posted Image
Windows 7 32Bit 2GB Ram 120GB HDD (Laptop), Windows 8 4GB Ram 1TB HDD (Desktop) Windows XP SP3 VM with enhancements!

tbs

tbs

• 32 posts
Great to see this posted again wraith,
can't understand the three week limit though.
I have an xplode dvd for my laptop and a three week limit is not much good if I'm away and need to reinstall. I was hoping to use the 'select' install to keep stuff on the dvd and only install a particular program if needed. At home the limit kind of assumes you have a working OS to build it on.

How much is a single corp. version?

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

How much is a single corp. version?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$10.

The reason I chose the three week limit is this - I have given out just over 120 corporate test license requests since I took XPlode 4.1 off downloads, and assuming that only 2% of them decide to pay for XPlode, that means that I should have had ~4 clients. There have been nearly 20 academic licenses granted. Guess how many corporate clients? That's right, you got it, 0. Going off the response from you people, XPlode isn't such a bad product. So to me, those numbers seem a bit lop-sided.

The conclusion: the "corporate" version was too easy to download, and ignore the licensing.

From other "hobbyists" I have talked to that have used XPlode, they are content with rebuilding their XPCD's whenever they need to format, and hence, the free version of XPlode would suffice. They get their config working, download the latest build, burn it off, and they're good to go.

I'm sorry if that has turned you of XPlode, but it is being developed essentially for no benefit of my own - with the amount of ungrateful responses regarding the EULA, I have little problem with making XPlode time-limited.

That said, I have no problem providing a free non-restricted version to prominent members of MSFN - they've given back to the community, I have no problems helping them out too. I'm sure that down the line, they've helped me with something in particular.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
I forgot to add - if you're wondering why there is so little difference between the "free" and "corporate" versions, I had to remove a couple of things from the corporate version due to some buggy code. Needs a bit more testing before release.
I won't say what, because it may take some time to get rectified.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts

That said, I have no problem providing a free non-restricted version to prominent members of MSFN - they've given back to the community, I have no problems helping them out too. I'm sure that down the line, they've helped me with something in particular.

Before people start getting ansy....i believe the KEY words being...

they've given back to the community

Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Glowy

Glowy

The voices made me do it!

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

I have no problem providing a free non-restricted

great! but how will I know if this:

they've given back to the community

is me? :blushing:
just ask?
if so... I'm asking ;)

....for now I'm sticking with the restricted version :)
Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

S0mE0nesMiNd1

S0mE0nesMiNd1

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
**** - I thought with the pre / post executes was meant for each item. Didnt realize it was at the end of the entire selection.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

**** - I thought with the pre / post executes was meant for each item. Didnt realize it was at the end of the entire selection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was mainly put there so people could hide windows before XPlode launched, and for running shutdown.exe after execution, depending on how people have set up their XPCD's...
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Brando569

Brando569

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
myself i think its stupid to make the so-called "free" version expire after 3 weeks. i think xplode is a great program, but i (and probably alot of other ppl) dont rewrite theyre xplode code and everything every three weeks. i actually havent completed mine yet, i pretty much do it whenever i have time. so if it takes me three weeks to create and finalize my code and everything, its pretty much useless cuz it expired and its out of date...

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

so if it takes me three weeks to create and finalize my code and everything, its pretty much useless cuz it expired and its out of date...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really, you download XPlode from the site again, and it'll work for another three weeks.

It doesn't expire because you've extracted it - it expires regarding the build date.

And the syntax won't change, so even if you write it for this version, it will still work for the next.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Brando569

Brando569

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
ok and where do i get the pw for the archive for the free version?

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
There is a reason why it's an executable.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to do with it.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

S0mE0nesMiNd1

S0mE0nesMiNd1

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
Well - once this is a bit more stable, I would be more than happy to "donate" (I will refer to it as donating because I feel wraith deserve it for his hard work, and not the fact that it costs money) for a version when you can have multiple executes in one item.

chezy666

chezy666

Junior

• Pip
  • 92 posts

so if it takes me three weeks to create and finalize my code and everything, its pretty much useless cuz it expired and its out of date...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really, you download XPlode from the site again, and it'll work for another three weeks.

It doesn't expire because you've extracted it - it expires regarding the build date.

And the syntax won't change, so even if you write it for this version, it will still work for the next.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yup, hard coded to expire 3weeks after build date.
Anyway, jumping into xplode for first time after version 1, wish me luck.

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Well, I'd love to donate and pay for XPlode, but paying over the internet is not possible for me. So for now, I'll just stick with 4.1...
CDswitch - Making CD/DVD-switching fun. / VMcleaner - Cleaning your virtual memory by killing unnecessary tasks
WinampUser - Silently install multiuser functionality for Winamp / OfficeExec - Installing Office at T-12/cmdlines.txt
Dropper - Changing file properties by drag-'n-dropping (not for unattended use)

S0mE0nesMiNd1

S0mE0nesMiNd1

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
Thats a poor exscuse. Anything from money orders, to checks, to paypal (which can use your checking account, or credit card) im sure are all gladly accepted.

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
I don't think that's a poor excuse, I'm just very sensitive about giving out information on the internet.
CDswitch - Making CD/DVD-switching fun. / VMcleaner - Cleaning your virtual memory by killing unnecessary tasks
WinampUser - Silently install multiuser functionality for Winamp / OfficeExec - Installing Office at T-12/cmdlines.txt

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts

just very sensitive about giving out information on the internet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

quite right, considering all the hack-ins that keep happening.....
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
... and then there's my parents of course. I moved mountains to get on WoW. XD

FuNKeR

FuNKeR

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
I'm also not too happy with your decision. I would like to use XPlode as an Select-Installer on a second DVD, that is NOT startet unattendedly after or while Installation. And I also do not use the latest version everytime they are released. I got older versions on my computer and they work fine for me. And I also want to use the DVD for desaster recovery. So when my harddrive crashes, I got a DVD with programs and a fantastically designed XPlode, but cannot use it, because the eval (or whatever) period is over. So I need to install every app on my own again, that is not the sense of XPlode I think...

So I will stay with version 4.1 or so and be happy for all the time. Of course I still don't really know about new features of 4.2, because I haven't looked into these forums for a while.

cu
FuNKeR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN