XPlode 4.3.50711.1385

S0mE0nesMiNd1

Having the build expire in 3 weeks I don't like. For me, I think that putting a limit on having how many times that disc could be used would be a better idea!

like Nanaki said, how would that be saved?

Can't very write to a file on the CD.

Can't save a registry value

Depending on the part of setup, can't access the web....

• 3 weeks later...
You ask why $500 is the price FOR A SITE LICENSE or even $10 for an individual license...

Wraith uses his personal time to code this program. It's been in development for i believe almost 2 years. That being said...that's alot of man hours for a single person. Figure he spent even 100 hours writing this program, then that what? $1 for every 10 hours? or even $5 for every hour?

Figure the program would take someone about 10 hours to get it to do everything XPlode does with all the functionality and the XML parser and what have you...now figure that person get's paid about $15 an hour, that's $150 right? That may be cheaper and if that's the route you chose then so be it. Most companies might just not be bothered and order the license just to not be bothered with in house development. Now if you wanted something cheap, just use BATCH code that's enabled on EVERY system upon install untill disabled. That's cheap, and easy to use.

As for the small minority ruining it for the majority, well....welcome to the world. Browse through history, and you'll find this happens all throughout it.

Hehehe, thats also a way of doing estimated costs and calculations... :lol:

..sorry, couldnt help myself... :whistle:

The 3 weeks expiration period is a very logical move on your behalf. I have not used Xplode yet and am planning to use it on my next build which im currently working on. It takes me 2-3 days to make myself a nice uA cd. Now that im trying out autoit and uA installs of software(with xplode if it works to my liking) I imagine that it will add a day or two to my cd. Still leaving me an ampful 2 weeks or so to install the cd. Everytime I format I start from scratch so It wont bother me at all. If I like it I will use it on my laptop(which got here today gotta play with it still) with a corp liscense :)

Well guys I just purchased a unrestricted license and it didn't hurt one little bit, $10.00US is pretty cheap for a program that we know works and performs well.

Keep up the great work Wraith you've got my support. :thumbup

dare2001

Well, well, well.... Now ths is an interesting turn of events. But then considering all the idiots out there who couldn't read the EULA, I guess that I am not suprized.

Abuse? More like downright verbal assault in some cases. A software developer who puts out a product for free at a great personal expense of time and effort should not have to take any kind of abuse. People should be greatful, but sadly, in this day and age, we all know that is not the case with the majority of the populace. For the amount of time and effort that Wraith has spent in providing this product, to get some of the responses that he has recieved, I'm suprized that something like this hasn't happened sooner.

Quite frankly, as a software developer myself, I have to agree with Wraith's position here. For those of you who have not written a single line of code, it takes many hours of typing and critical thinking to write computer software code. That does not even begin to count how many hours it takes to test, tweak, and debug that code to make sure that there are not any major problems and that it will work more or less as advertised. Especially software for something as convoluted as Windows.

Furthermore, this brings up another issue. For my effort of writing a XML code generator for XPlode, the only responses that I have recieved for my effort was the 4 or so when I did the initial released that the 1 after the new version. That's right, since I did the major rewrite, the only response that I recieved was about my choice of compression utility. No good work, no bug reports, nothing. But, when I go to look at the post, I see that it was viewed about 750 times and over 100 downloads was made. Personally, I would like to get SOME feedback, good or bad, but nothing. That kind of makes me wonder if I should or should not continue working on it for the benifit of the community. I will most definately continue development for my benifit though, for as long as it suits me.

Granted, I don't frequent this forum too much, but XPlode is a good product and Wraith should be compensated for it. I personally have no problem with paying the $10 for the software. I for one support his decision in this reguard.

I noticed your comment about those who contributed to the community. How does one know if they qualify for that status or not?

Later.

Maelstorm I have to agree I also do alot of programming and have just started using VB.Net which I love.

It takes ages to make an application I have had to rewrite my Xplode Editor 3 times already because I was not happy with the code and features.

It not really much money for the amount on time that Wraith spends improving and making the product and I hope that he keeps it up.

Maelstorm I dont think I have seen the XML code generator so I am going to go find it.

I know how you feel, I have found that not many people post much feedback but quite a few download it. I might for my Xplode Editor limit it to people that contribute to the forums, I dont like to do it but if nothing it done about it then Xplode will slowly die.

Well I always use Xplode for my Unattened CD/DVD and I will continue to do so till it does not meet my needs and then I will create one my self.

I visit here every day to see whats happening but its very unlikely that anyone posts its a shame will a new release come or is it dead :(

Thanks Wraith for Xplode

I said close enough. Didn't say it was.

I'll still be doing new versions, just not as regularly, and generally new featuresets will only be implemented when requested by corporate customers. Otherwise, maintenance releases only, really.

<20 purchases. Virtually all have been for one machine, which isn't terribly surprising.

As for stats, as of this minute, evaluation version has been downloaded ~3200 times, and restricted ~6000.

Obviously the last two numbers are going to be a little inflated, because people have to re-download it, but still, the ratio isn't terribly good.

I might modify the download script so that it adds a new thing for each version, rather than just incrementing a single number.

I visit here every day to see whats happening but its very unlikely that anyone posts its a shame will a new release come or is it dead :(

Perhaps people are afraid of posting because of the sarcastic and often demeaning replies they get telling them to use the search button. I know I was.

And one of the first rules in forum use is to search, search and search... if you can't find your answer, then post. Is it not?

* Whether it be from searching/reading and/or self resolved, when ever possible, I have always posted the answers to my own questions to help others out who may share a similar problem.

Edited by hohner

Perhaps people are afraid of posting because of the sarcastic and often demeaning replies they get telling them to use the search button. I know I was.

And one of the first rules in forum use is to search, search and search... if you can't find your answer, then post. Is it not?

* Whether it be from searching/reading and/or self resolved, when ever possible, I have always posted the answers to my own questions to help others out who may share a similar problem.

No, it's mostly because some people are irritating like hell, and it seems to me you got pretty good answers.