Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPlode 4.3.50711.1385

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03

I got older versions on my computer and they work fine for me. And I also want to use the DVD for desaster recovery. So when my harddrive crashes, I got a DVD with programs and a fantastically designed XPlode, but cannot use it, because the eval (or whatever) period is over. So I need to install every app on my own again, that is not the sense of XPlode I think...

You could perhaps reward the creator and purchase a license for the software that does NOT have this limitation.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

You could perhaps reward the creator and purchase a license for the software that does NOT have this limitation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, nobody does that.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Dumpy Dooby

Dumpy Dooby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Joined 16-May 05
I am a moron and have no respect for software development.

IceBlackIce> ill just take you are not a experienced person with coding [source]
^lol

Dumpy Dooby

Dumpy Dooby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Joined 16-May 05
If you're going to edit my posts, at least sign your name. Otherwise, it makes you looks cowardice.

Yes, I do have respect for software development. I think you have no respect for the people that made your software popular and provided you with feedback to improve further development.

If you rationalize the expiration date on the free version by saying that businesses can take it and use it without paying for it, that's fine. That's a very valid reason. However, why would you say I have no respect for software development when I'm creating a workaround your expiration date for my own personal use? I'm not a business. I fall under the conditions which you set forth, clearly stating your personal associated implication of "freeware license for home users." It follows to reason that you wouldn't care if I deny you of any donations; likewise, it shouldn't matter to you if I create a workaround for your expiration date, as long as I remain within the constraints of what you consider to be a "home user," or any other freeware-meritorious individual.

I'll tell you what, if you can provide me with a good reason to not use my "custom" version of your software, then I will gladly start using your software legitimately ... I might even pay for it if you're convincing enough.

Otherwise, I'll continue to do what I do to get around your little expiration date.

PS-
Don't worry, I won't tell others how to do it; nor will I provide others with my workaround. I'll respect you enough to not be an as***** about it.

IceBlackIce> ill just take you are not a experienced person with coding [source]
^lol

Tails

Tails

• 11 posts
  • Joined 08-March 05
well, I am not object Waith's decision, but I think he should put back version 4.1 also.... the reason is that 3 weeks restriction isnt gonna work for me or may be some people.... Here is my suituation....

currently, I am living in UK, and my father in Hong Kong, my father isnt good at computers, so, what I normally do each summer holiday is to build an unattended CD with all the neccessary apps he needs, so, if he need to format, he can just put the CD and do all the works for him... Therefore, the CD must be kept for at least for a yr....., so I hoping Waith at least make the version 4.1 available again for the people who has similar suituation...

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
@Tails
If that is the case, why not just spend the extra few bucks and purchase a nonrestricted copy from Wraith? You might even be able to negotiate with him on the price itself. If nothing else, it might even ensure support when needed.
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Corporate license request form fixed.
Site redone a bit to make stuff a bit clearer.

If you had requested a corp license before 2005-05-26, you'll need to resubmit it - it was not received.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Power350

Power350

AfterthematH

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 02-October 04
I am glad to hear that the corporate version is so cheap. But I see it has already happended. If you can make it they can break it. Tread lightly Wraith, there are some really talented ppl like yourself on this site and I would hate to see cracked versions or just cracks for xplode out on the net. Then you would give up letting the public get xplode and there would be no xplode @ all. Hopefully that will not happen but creating a time limit is like throwing a dog a bone. It just calls for some ppl to crack the limit. Personally I have no problem with paying a measly 10 bucks for xplode (as long as that includes access to updates). Other than that farwell and hope all goes well.

webmedic

webmedic

fixer of things broken

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Joined 15-August 03
well although I cant say I'm surprised to see this I hope it works our well for you wraith.

By the way I had asked you for a copy when you weren't even offering it for download anymore and stated I would be glad to pay for it. I read your site and I do run a small shop but since I build maybe 1 or 2 systems a month and $500 is kind of high for that I think I may have to back down on the product.

I would not feel comfortable just grabbing a copy for $10 and using it allot without paying you properly.

Thanks for all your hard work and for the great product. I hope others enjoy it as much as I have.

P.S. Is it ok if I continue to use my old copy of 4.0. I'm willing to offer money for it. Thanks again.

Jordie

Jordie
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 11-January 05
It's sad to see that you've decided to go this route.

Your program is good at what it does, but no where near good enough to justify the prices you're charging.

Good job on alienating a significant portion of your user base.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Not a problem, anytime.

Put it down to the incompetent people that decide to abuse me when things don't work.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Jordie

Jordie
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 11-January 05
It's good to see that you're happy to have a small portion of your user base ruin it for the rest of us.

When you're ready to accept a reasonable price for the product feel free to PM me.

S0mE0nesMiNd1

S0mE0nesMiNd1

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 15-December 04
If you dont find $10 to be reasonable for some hard work your a child with a $2 allowance.

Jordie

Jordie
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 11-January 05
No, I'm a fellow developer who cannot justify spending $500 on a product of such small proportions when it could be made in-house for much less.

Take that and the fact that there are other alternatives (WPI which are free and easier to use, it's hard to justify hte cost.

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
You ask why $500 is the price FOR A SITE LICENSE or even $10 for an individual license...

Wraith uses his personal time to code this program. It's been in development for i believe almost 2 years. That being said...that's alot of man hours for a single person. Figure he spent even 100 hours writing this program, then that what? $1 for every 10 hours? or even $5 for every hour?

Figure the program would take someone about 10 hours to get it to do everything XPlode does with all the functionality and the XML parser and what have you...now figure that person get's paid about $15 an hour, that's $150 right? That may be cheaper and if that's the route you chose then so be it. Most companies might just not be bothered and order the license just to not be bothered with in house development. Now if you wanted something cheap, just use BATCH code that's enabled on EVERY system upon install untill disabled. That's cheap, and easy to use.

As for the small minority ruining it for the majority, well....welcome to the world. Browse through history, and you'll find this happens all throughout it.

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05
A big company needing that many licenses can pay up €500, it's even a small cost. If you don't like it, write it yourself, and see how many paid man hours it takes.

As for the small minority ruining it for the majority, well....welcome to the world. Browse through history, and you'll find this happens all throughout it.

Nice remark :)
CDswitch - Making CD/DVD-switching fun. / VMcleaner - Cleaning your virtual memory by killing unnecessary tasks
WinampUser - Silently install multiuser functionality for Winamp / OfficeExec - Installing Office at T-12/cmdlines.txt
Dropper - Changing file properties by drag-'n-dropping (not for unattended use)

Power350

Power350

AfterthematH

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 02-October 04
also...look at it this way. if you pay wraith money for it then wouldn't you expect to get better versions of xplode and get them quicker?

I have a sneeky suspicion you would :ph34r:

also...also...xplode is so pretty and can be easily customized.

S0mE0nesMiNd1

S0mE0nesMiNd1

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 15-December 04
Either way - he deserves my money so I just got my unrestricted license :) Thanks Wraith, cant wait to see future stuff enabled too.

some_guy

some_guy

some_where

• 45 posts
  • Joined 20-May 05
Having the build expire in 3 weeks I don't like. For me, I think that putting a limit on having how many times that disc could be used would be a better idea!

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05
... and how again would you save that?
CDswitch - Making CD/DVD-switching fun. / VMcleaner - Cleaning your virtual memory by killing unnecessary tasks
WinampUser - Silently install multiuser functionality for Winamp / OfficeExec - Installing Office at T-12/cmdlines.txt
Dropper - Changing file properties by drag-'n-dropping (not for unattended use)

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03

Having the build expire in 3 weeks I don't like. For me, I think that putting a limit on having how many times that disc could be used would be a better idea!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

like Nanaki said, how would that be saved?
Can't very write to a file on the CD.
Can't save a registry value
Depending on the part of setup, can't access the web....

d0t

d0t
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-February 05
I for one dont mind paying. :)

Edited by d0t, 04 August 2005 - 11:08 PM.

Clint

Clint

Go ahead, punk'

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

You ask why $500 is the price FOR A SITE LICENSE or even $10 for an individual license...

Wraith uses his personal time to code this program. It's been in development for i believe almost 2 years. That being said...that's alot of man hours for a single person. Figure he spent even 100 hours writing this program, then that what? $1 for every 10 hours? or even $5 for every hour?

Figure the program would take someone about 10 hours to get it to do everything XPlode does with all the functionality and the XML parser and what have you...now figure that person get's paid about $15 an hour, that's $150 right? That may be cheaper and if that's the route you chose then so be it. Most companies might just not be bothered and order the license just to not be bothered with in house development. Now if you wanted something cheap, just use BATCH code that's enabled on EVERY system upon install untill disabled. That's cheap, and easy to use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehehe, thats also a way of doing estimated costs and calculations... :lol:
..sorry, couldnt help myself... :whistle:
MSI X58M @222BCLK
920 3942A @4.22GHz (1.32v)
Sapphire HD 5850 @1GHz/1.3GHz (1.2v)
Mushkin Blackline 12GB PC3-12800 @1.33GHz 6-6-6-16 (1.64v)

Revo

Revo

• 24 posts
  • Joined 16-June 05
The 3 weeks expiration period is a very logical move on your behalf. I have not used Xplode yet and am planning to use it on my next build which im currently working on. It takes me 2-3 days to make myself a nice uA cd. Now that im trying out autoit and uA installs of software(with xplode if it works to my liking) I imagine that it will add a day or two to my cd. Still leaving me an ampful 2 weeks or so to install the cd. Everytime I format I start from scratch so It wont bother me at all. If I like it I will use it on my laptop(which got here today gotta play with it still) with a corp liscense :)

dare2001

dare2001

Bring Back The 80's

• 43 posts
  • Joined 18-August 03
Well guys I just purchased a unrestricted license and it didn't hurt one little bit, $10.00US is pretty cheap for a program that we know works and performs well.
Keep up the great work Wraith you've got my support. :thumbup

dare2001
Kiss My Grass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users