Welcome to MSFN

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
likwit

Best alternative XP shell

27 posts in this topic

I'm looking for an alternative shell for Windows XP that replaces explorer.exe.

There's so many of them.. it's hard to pick. Explorer tends to use 19MB all the time and that's too **** much... I'd rather have a shell that takes 5MB or so without all the fancy stuff (I already use the classic theme).

Does anyone know a simple shell without any bloat and special effects that takes up very little resources? Thanks.

are these full shell replacements or just basic function replacements?

this is a just a basic function replacement... but not a full substitute: BBLean

this is more of a full replacement but... it's not a single file so it would be harder to splipstreamonto a uA install of windows: Aston

likwit, what's you shell?

Everyone can specify the reasons of their suggestions? thx

I also am looking for a shell not funcy stuff low CPU...

i am also looking for stuff that only takes 5MBs or less :whistle:

black box is really nice :D hmmm i wounder if we can integrate black box in to the os installation cd ;)

is there any other one's like blackbox that you can Customize all you want?

I don't know any alternative shell... I'll try out LITE shell and Black Box, I too want integrate in the CD ;)

;) i wounder if there is one like windows explorer but better ;)

Kurt I am also looking for a shell that uses less resourses but not far removed from explorer. I use nlite and I would like to incorporate it into the cd. any hints or help

Kurt I am also looking for a shell that uses less resourses but not far removed from explorer. I use nlite and I would like to incorporate it into the cd. any hints or help

nice one

definitely bblean... if u like minimal (u can make it as bloated as you want to actually) ;)

Not really a shell replacement, but I was thinking of Microsoft Shell?

If you want to cut down on resources there's always cmd.exe! ;) Seriously though, you should be able to import the shells from Win95/Win98.

hmmm I've just been thinking; you could intergrate the "replacement shell" into your UA Windows CD/DVD by putting it in the $OEM$\ folder. The one with cmdow. I haven't actually tried this, but when I do, I will inform you.

p.s. there is also some way of replacing your default shell in the registry. google that. :unsure:

I wonder if there is a shell replacment I could simply rename to explorer.exe and then put it into root,burn cd and then would install with no reg tweaks and be ready to use at once.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by dirtwarrior

very nice gui, but for the end user not practicle if it needs to be compiled

I downloaded ros along with help manual. it doesnt explain how to get rid of explorer in windows and use this one. any help on this?

I'm starting to break through the whole "low memory" requirement barrier. The minimum standard today is 512 MB. The average joe won't use that much. Hell I didn't use that much with Steam, HL2 and a movie running... seems so trivial now...

I'm just going to use what I have, that's why it's there.

Blackbox is alright, but if you like the 'Windows XP' look, it's really not for you unless you want to customize it a LOT. It bever worked right for me anyway. Sure it would replace the shell, desktop, task bar etc etc, but when opening windows, and folders, they would appear as normal no matter what.

Hey fart I am gonna use ros as soo as I find out how to incorporate it into sourse cd to install automatically. It seems to have the features I want and need without being drab or bloated,

To me blean and bbox are to drab

RTFM dont understand

is this the same as GOFAW good old fashion a** whippen :P

Edited by dirtwarrior