Best alternative XP shell

likwit

• 1 month later...

hmmm I've just been thinking; you could intergrate the "replacement shell" into your UA Windows CD/DVD by putting it in the $OEM$\ folder. The one with cmdow. I haven't actually tried this, but when I do, I will inform you.

p.s. there is also some way of replacing your default shell in the registry. google that. :unsure:

I wonder if there is a shell replacment I could simply rename to explorer.exe and then put it into root,burn cd and then would install with no reg tweaks and be ready to use at once.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by dirtwarrior

I'm starting to break through the whole "low memory" requirement barrier. The minimum standard today is 512 MB. The average joe won't use that much. Hell I didn't use that much with Steam, HL2 and a movie running... seems so trivial now...

I'm just going to use what I have, that's why it's there.

Blackbox is alright, but if you like the 'Windows XP' look, it's really not for you unless you want to customize it a LOT. It bever worked right for me anyway. Sure it would replace the shell, desktop, task bar etc etc, but when opening windows, and folders, they would appear as normal no matter what.

Hey fart I am gonna use ros as soo as I find out how to incorporate it into sourse cd to install automatically. It seems to have the features I want and need without being drab or bloated,

To me blean and bbox are to drab

RTFM dont understand

is this the same as GOFAW good old fashion a** whippen :P

Edited by dirtwarrior

• 3 weeks later...

found something cool ave shell

This release marks a TON of changes and improvements, thanks to the VERY dedicated coders at Samurize.com. I personally want to thank all of them for their hard work, open-mindedness, and willingness to listen to new ideas.

We hope you agree it was worth the wait. Smile

----------------------------

Features and changelog:

----------------------------

- Theme Switching (comes with 3 themes). Each theme has the ability to launch additional items on its' own, without affecting the other themes, and the shell ITSELF can launch additional applications generically, if you so desire. So it's completely flexible!

- Full compatibility with WindowBlinds and MSStyles

- AveDesk integration and some limited Litestep functionality (this will be worked on for the next development cycle)

- It's own Samurize-powered file and web browser based on the IE platform (for windows explorer compatibility, and completely customizeable)

- Uses about HALF the resources that Windows Explorer does. In fact, when running in standalone mode, it GAINS performance.

- Samurize-powered shell swapper, theme loader, weather widgets, command boxes, logoff and shutdown dialouges, and more! Note that the shell swapping program 'SetShell.exe' is being phased out as confidence in the AeroShell swapper continues to grow -- it's been included "just in case".

- The beginnings of the Online Help system. This likewise will be continually worked on and improved. It hasn't been a priority until recently.

- GPL Licensing. Meaning that you can help us make it better, or branch off and make your own brand! Completely open development.

- Free of spyware, adware, and malware -- AeroShell will NEVER support, include or condone the use of Adware, Spyware, or Malware. Anyone who *DOES* include it in any release or theme will be in violation of AeroShell Useage Policies and appropriate action will be taken. Likewise, if there is a reported security issue, we will make sure it is correctly as quickly as possible.

*UPDATE 1*:

- Fixed those pesky Litestep problems for those who dont have LS installed. Unfortunately, this pretty much disables Litestep integration altogether.

- Fixed an issue where the Timedate.cpl wouldn't open for some people.

Litestep integration altogether.

- Fixed an issue where the Timedate.cpl wouldn't open for some people.

-----------------

Requirements:

-----------------

- Serious Samurize 1.62 or better.

- Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

- Windows 2000 *should* work, but is not yet supported...however plans are in place for a Windows 2000 patch which *WILL* bring the shell over to Win 2k officially.

- 600 Mhz x86 CPU, 128 MB of RAM or better, 32 MB Video. (Minimum)

- 1000 Mhz x86 CPU or more, 256 MB of RAM or more, 64 MB video. (Recommended)

- Minimum screen resolution of 1024x768.

Remember that this is BETA software! Please use caution when using this software. Report all bugs to the AeroShell Support Forum. Live Technical Assistance is coming soon.

----------------

Known issues:

----------------

- Installs of AeroShell on partitions other than C:\ tend to break easily.

-------------

Installation:

-------------

- Download the file. Unzip it to the root of your hard drive.

- Navigate to (your drive)\Program Files\Samurize\AeroShell\SupportApps\.

- Install the file "URL-Run Protocols".

- Launch "SetShell.exe", and click the Explorer button. The system will prompt for a restart - DON'T. Click 'No' instead.

- Go into the 'Short PopUp' folder. Double-click on 'popup.ini'. In the area where you specify the user folder, change the 'All Users' to your current username. Save the file.

- Close everything and reboot.

- Upon restarting, use the Theme Loader to apply a theme and set the proper registry values.

---------------

Screenshots:

---------------

Aero-3|Elements|Aqua (by Sketching)

Downloads:

--------------

AeroShell 1.10 Beta (3.1 MB)

The AeroShell signature button!

Edited by dirtwarrior